Medical advice needed

Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Corkhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical advice needed

Hi

I am a Australian citizen now but have been back in the uk for a year as my dad has stomach cancer, we desperately want to come back to Australia to live and my Mum and Dad want to come as well, not permanently for them but a long holiday (9 months ) the only problem is my dad is still having maintenance herceptin every 3 weeks indefinitely would he be able to get this dose in Australia it is given by drip? would the reciprocal medical cover this if not could he get it privately would anyone know where I can find out as its his dream to come back over he will never recover.

Many thanks
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical advice needed

Originally Posted by Corkhead
Hi

I am a Australian citizen now but have been back in the uk for a year as my dad has stomach cancer, we desperately want to come back to Australia to live and my Mum and Dad want to come as well, not permanently for them but a long holiday (9 months ) the only problem is my dad is still having maintenance herceptin every 3 weeks indefinitely would he be able to get this dose in Australia it is given by drip? would the reciprocal medical cover this if not could he get it privately would anyone know where I can find out as its his dream to come back over he will never recover.

Many thanks
Its not something that the reciprocal agreement would cover as its not emergency treatment. Also in order to get a holiday visa for that long with an existing conditionhe would probably need to undergo a medical - which could either result in refusal or in a requirement for medical insurance, which might be difficult to get with an existing condition.
Assuming he could get a visa the cost may well be prohibitive going privately - google is quoting $50.000 - $70,000 for the mere drug cost for a year.

The new Visitor Visa 600 would be the one he would be looking at
http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/visitor/600/applicants.htm
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:31 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I know herceptin is licensed for breast cancer but I'm not sure about stomach cancer. The private cost is enormous about $54,000 a year

Sorry I can't give you more info hopefully someone else more knowledgable will be able to help.
Good luck
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Corkhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for replying , I guess is going to be tough road maybe it will just have to be 3 months because of the visa
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Corkhead
Thank you both for replying , I guess is going to be tough road maybe it will just have to be 3 months because of the visa
Even 3 months, though is going to be prohibitively expensive for him. He will need private medical insurance, as the reciprocal agreement will not pay for his cancer treatments or medications. It is for emergency treatment only and will not pay to repatriate him should he need to go back to UK.

There are also the logistics of his treatment. He will need to find a GP who can refer him to an oncologist to prescribe his treatments.