Marriage Question.

Old Mar 7th 2002, 12:35 am
Nancy Cauwels

Default Marriage Question.

Hello to all you wonderful, helpful people.

As my current visa expires, I am about to leave this marvelous country and my even
more marvelous fiance to go overseas and apply for a prospective marriage visa.

From all I have read and heard, it would be helpful for the application if we would
set a marriage date. However, this can not be done more than 6 months before the
actual wedding (is this true?).

How can we do that if we don't know how long it is going to take for the visa to
be approved?

Has anybody done this before and is willing to tell me about it?

Once again, I really appreciate your help!

Nancy

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Moo30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage Question.

Hi Nancy,

My fiance is english and we are also about to apply for our prospective marriage visa in London in the next week or two when his medicals come through.

There doesn't seem to be as much info on this forum re Prospective Marriage visas as Spouse Visas, but the info has been extremely helpful in preparing our application and getting a feel for how this whole process works, as well as letting you know you're not the only ones going through it.

We also weren't sure what to do about the legal requirements for an Australian marriage given we have chosen a date in April 2003 for our wedding. Our celebrant informed us that you cannot lodge the Notice of Intent to Marry form before 6 months prior to the marriage taking place, which to us seemed a bit absurd given the AHC is quoting a 6 month processing time for the visa and at the same time expecting this form to be submitted if possible! Our celebrant has therefore included the legal requirements in her confirmation letter, which must be included in the application, to explain why the Notice of Intent to Marry has not been lodged. We have also booked our ceremony and reception venue and included this info as well. Hopefully they will take into account our specific reasons for choosing the date we have and be happy with the evidence provided to them, if they're not, I'm sure they'll let us know!

Anyway, that's what we've done, but I'm sure we'd both welcome any input from those with a little more experience on this issue!

I also have a query regarding the timeline website (which is also great!). There seems to be a disparity regarding the length of time Partner visas take. Sophia, if you read this how did you manage to get your Spouse visa processed so quickly? Any tips regarding ways to present the application etc. to be one of the quicker ones would be greatly appreciated :-)

Good luck Nancy, I will keep you posted on our progress.

Moo.
Old Apr 3rd 2002, 4:32 am
Just Joined

jhdonn is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am about to begin the long road of prospective marriage visa troubles with my American fiance. I am yet to find one conclusive piece of information about teh entire process...there seems to be information flying around just leading to confusion all the time.
For example, I thought that the applicant had to wait for approval to have the medicals done, but I find that some people have done them even before applying...

Also, since we have decided on a wedding date more than twelve months away(July 2003) I'm confused by the "notice of intention to marry" that is supposed to be filed not more than 6 months away from the wedding, and is apparently a requirement for the application...

it all seems very stupid, given that my fiance can't get over here until the start of next year, and that we want to spend as much of the nine months making preparations together instead of having to rush....

does anyone else share my immense annoyance over this whole thing??!!!

Jessica
Old Apr 3rd 2002, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Jessica,

I agree it is all very confusing. The DIMA booklet for Partner Migration does leave some integral information out in my opinion. We have done our own research of forums, migration agent sites etc. and it seems to me that submitting medicals and police checks with visa applications that are processed under 12 months is acceptable and can speed up the process slightly. I've only been looking into coming from the UK though, so not sure about the US.

DIMA state that the Notice of Intent to Marry form must be included, but they also say that if this is not possible, then other evidence of your intent to marry must be provided. We have done this and our celebant has included her inability to submit the form more than 6 months in advance in her letter.

We have compiled our application in an indexed lever-arch file and have included everything, including very personal things, but we figure the more evidence the better as the person processing the application does not know us or what our relationship is like, so we're trying to make it as easy as possible for them to say yes!

Moo.
Old Apr 3rd 2002, 7:23 am
jet
Forum Regular

jet will become famous soon enough

Hi guys, I am half way through my prospective spouse visa application process and this is my story:

Got engaged to a wonderful aussie in October 2001 and started gathering together all the evidence we needed for our application. We didnt use a migration agent but got a lot of help from everyone on this site. Filled in application and sponsership forms sent these along with copies of everything they asked for, we did personal statements and got 4 close friends and family to write letters to back up that we were in a loving and genuine relationship. We sent a flip folder of evidence including photo's, letters, emails, bank statements and a copy of bookings for the wedding, reception and a letter from the Celebrant saying when and where the wedding was taking place.

Finally was in a position to send it all off to London Headquarters on December 12th 2001. Cheque was cashed on December 18th and then I waited and waited and waited. Received my letter of acknowledgment mid January 5 weeks after they received my application, this was the bog standard letter telling me to allow up to 6 months for the application to be processed.

March 16th I received a letter asking me to undertake my medicals and to get a new police check as mine expired in June and my application might not be ready by then, also found out that my 2 children from a previous marriage although they are not migrating with me also needed to under go medicals. They also needed a couple of other documents, we hadnt included my FH divorce absolute and the letter from our celebrant had his offical number missing so we had to sweet talk him into writing us another letter which he did with pleasure.

Was fed up when I rang the nearest panal doctor to me because he was on holiday and I couldnt get an appointment till April the 10th which has delayed me a little but only a week to go now, then it is a case of returning all this stuff and begin the waiting again. Not sure from this point how much longer I will be waiting have had a mixed view on here anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for the final decision and visa in the passport.

I will update you when I have anymore news... keep your chins up but realistically depending on where you are the 6 months does seem to be about the time needed. Debs xx
Old Apr 3rd 2002, 9:35 am
Maverick

I am also just about to make our application for the Prospective Spouse Visa
!
We almost have everything required of us i beleive , My Fiancee is in the Philipines
I am Australian by birth , I was advised (not by DMIA ) to place our wedding date
aroximately around Jan 2003 however somehow this might need to be modified It is
amazing to me how the prosective spouse visa is hardly ever discussed in this group!
And Yes it is very confusing on the matter of the Notice of Intention to Marry form
as my minister informs me that its not 6 months but infact 3 months that its good for
! I sure do miss my darling , Wishing You all the best

Brett

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi Moo30, to be honest I don't have a clue as to why AHC processed my husband's visa in 6 weeks, but these are my thoughts:

We have been together for 5 years and married for 1 year.
We have a 2 year old son who we have registered as an Australian citizen by descent-also mentioned this in application (they then asked for proof of this which we did, but since they issued the document in the first place, I was a bit perplexed!!)
This also means we go straight to PR as the 2 year waiver applies in our case.

My husband is in IT, which again we mentioned, but that was all.
I think that the history of our relationship might just have clinched it (ie. they probably wept buckets when they read it) as I was diagnosed with breast cancer whilst 8 months pregnant, which obviously we included as evidence that our relationship was genuine, supportive and loving (ahhh!!)

We also have a fair bit of money to support ourselves with.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

Hope this helps in some way though.

Good luck to all of you....it will happen, and look on the bright side, it's probable that you'll be processed a lot sooner than those applying in the skills stream, so keep your chins up!!

love
Old Apr 3rd 2002, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone :-)

Its great to hear what others have done and are doing and to know that we're not the only ones getting confused about things! We figure that we've got everything required so its just playing the waiting game, and you're right Sophia, after reading some of the posts by people applying for the skills stream, we are much luckier to only be waiting 6 months instead of 20!

Have booked a ticket to go over to UK for 5 weeks in June to break up the separation and make the wait a bit more bearable. Have never been there before so really looking forward to seeing London & Paris and meeting my fiance's family.

Will keep posting our progress with the visa.

Thanks again,
Moo.
Old Apr 4th 2002, 10:35 am
Nancy Cauwels

My most heartfelt thanks to all of you wonderful people for sharing your invaluable
stories. It is always good to know that one is not alone in this difficult quest. I
will be starting my application process next week, as soon as I arrive in London. I
will keep you posted with what is happening. I would like to wish all of you the best
of luck! I am positive we will soon all be with our loved ones again...

Cheers!

Nancy

Moo30 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks everyone
    >
    > Its great to hear what others have done and are doing and to know that we're not
    > the only ones getting confused about things! We figure that we've got everything
    > required so its just playing the waiting game, and you're right Sophia, after
    > reading some of the posts by people applying for the skills stream, we are much
    > luckier to only be waiting 6 months instead of 20!
    >
    > Have booked a ticket to go over to UK for 5 weeks in June to break up the
    > separation and make the wait a bit more bearable. Have never been there before so
    > really looking forward to seeing London & Paris and meeting my fiance's family.
    >
    > Will keep posting our progress with the visa.
    >
    > Thanks again, Moo.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Moo30
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com