lost and need help for over 30 going to OZ

Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:41 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lost and need help for over 30 going to OZ

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I thought there was no such thing as an unregistered migration agent, in Australia at least, as they had to be registered????

Most of the advice on this forum is great, BUT there seem to be a fair few people who think you can get a 457 just because you have someone willing to sponsor you, and tell people to head out to find a sponsor. I have no idea why people think this, and keep advising people to get a 457 visa without knowing what job they do, or if they are qualified.
Hi PB,

No I'm sure that the OP needs to talk to an agent, since although the Department ought to give this advice for free they don't have a client service culture and half of them make their living out of pinging poor sods who didn't understand the rules. Nice to see Nige here, perhaps he can tell her what he thinks she should do :-) Nige do you think we should tell her about the study and stay option?

The responsibility for dealing with unregistered agents is with the Department, not MARA. And yes I can confirm that the threat against Pauline was quite real and intended to stop her from doing her volunteer job on the forum. Thankfully she stuck to her guns. As it turns out the threatener is pretty much discredited these days but at the time it was a very real concern.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi PB,

No I'm sure that the OP needs to talk to an agent, since although the Department ought to give this advice for free they don't have a client service culture and half of them make their living out of pinging poor sods who didn't understand the rules.
You are right there. Someone on my course has been given totally wrong info from immigration, not even an agent or random person, and are now of course convinced that that info is correct, as it was from immigration, even though the immigration web site says the opposite. It is very hard when you are starting out, and the immigration website is not always easy to understand.

Someone from immigration is coming to give our class a talk next week, it will be very interesting.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
What about unregistered migration agents? Are they forbidden from posting on here or is it simply about giving out poor advice which could make them legally fragile?

Do we not have freedom of speech? If someone, one here or elsewhere, asks me about my experience of getting my visa, i will feel qualified to talk about it as I got my visa on my own (well, with the help of the many law breakers on here).
When someone mentions that they are an agent, we ask that they post their MARA number/agency details in their signature, so that people can see they are a registered agent.
We cannot stop someone posting if they are NOT registered, but we do advise people constantly to ensure that if they use an agent they check the registration.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PamE
Hi Pollyana! Why don't all moderators just put a disclaimer in their signature, wouldn't that preserve you all from the annoyance you describe?
Unfortunately not. Poll had the disclaimer and still got the queries so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 28th 2009 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Unfortunately not. Poll had the disclaimer and still got the queries so I'm not sure it's worth it.
Yep, thats true. I've put disclaimers in my signature more than once, no-one takes any notice of them. Last week someone sent me a pm to ask who their case officer would be and on what date their visa would be granted. And yes, it was a serious enquiry. They thought that because i was a moderator I worked for DIAC......
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:58 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, thats true. I've put disclaimers in my signature more than once, no-one takes any notice of them. Last week someone sent me a pm to ask who their case officer would be and on what date their visa would be granted. And yes, it was a serious enquiry. They thought that because i was a moderator I worked for DIAC......
How bizarre!! Want to have a stab at mine? Last night they told me we're looking at 'a few days or a few weeks' for a final decision - so DIAC doesn't know the answers either! Hopefully I'll be able to hang on to my sanity just a little bit longer!