Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Looking for a bit of advice (trigger warning)

Looking for a bit of advice (trigger warning)

Old Dec 17th 2018, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for a bit of advice (trigger warning)

Hey guys, sorry if this upsets anyone. It's taken me a while to get the confidence up to ask. I'm a bit all over the place really and actually extremely vulnerable and down so please, no harsh comments of a person in particular.

I was extremely happy having my visa etc and being in Adelaide, however, we quickly had to rush back to the UK in an emergency scenario and my husband is now in intensive care and has been for the AST week.

He's extremely poorly and I'm feeling extremely lost as his prognosis is not great. I may lose him. Australia is the last of my concerns at the moment but I would like to return if I can with him (he now has a chronic illness) or sadly one day without him (it breaks my heart to say that because lord knows I can't lose him, it would literally break me).

Anyway, before I go informing home affairs of my current situation, does anyone have any kind of advice in regards to my visa. Will it be okay if Im in the UK for a while? Or is that something nobody really knows?

I'm aware coming back across with him will be expensive healthcare wise and it's something I will need to look into and possibly seek expert advice about.

Hope this makes sense, can barely see through teary eyes.

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 17th 2018, 10:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking for a bit of advice (trigger warning)

Very sorry to read your news.

I would hope there will be not one harsh comment at all. BE is about care and support. Not about kicking those down.

I can't help but I send you a hug and wish both you and your husband all the best.
Old Dec 17th 2018, 11:00 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Hey guys, sorry if this upsets anyone. It's taken me a while to get the confidence up to ask. I'm a bit all over the place really and actually extremely vulnerable and down so please, no harsh comments of a person in particular.

I was extremely happy having my visa etc and being in Adelaide, however, we quickly had to rush back to the UK in an emergency scenario and my husband is now in intensive care and has been for the AST week.

He's extremely poorly and I'm feeling extremely lost as his prognosis is not great. I may lose him. Australia is the last of my concerns at the moment but I would like to return if I can with him (he now has a chronic illness) or sadly one day without him (it breaks my heart to say that because lord knows I can't lose him, it would literally break me).

Anyway, before I go informing home affairs of my current situation, does anyone have any kind of advice in regards to my visa. Will it be okay if Im in the UK for a while? Or is that something nobody really knows?

I'm aware coming back across with him will be expensive healthcare wise and it's something I will need to look into and possibly seek expert advice about.

Thanks in advance
Hi Clacfart and sorry to read your news.

I know you were on a 489 visa which is 4 years provisional I think. To qualify for the subsequent PR visa, you need to live in a regional area for at least 2 years and work for at least 12 months during that time.

The 489 also has unlimited travel rights during the period of validity.

So for now you are all good on the visa front - I don't see any requirement to inform immi so just take care of yourself and your husband
Old Dec 17th 2018, 11:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Sparkles has covered the visa side of it for you, so I just wanted to let you know that if you need help, although Aussie BE is quiet these days, those of us who are still around are here for you if you need any kind of support or just someone to talk to. Just yell out either on the forum or by PM if you need any of us. We'll do what we can, it may not be much but sometimes just knowing someone will listen can make a huge difference.
Hugs
Polly
x
Old Dec 18th 2018, 2:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband.

Right now you should be ok on the visa front. Your visa states that you have to live in a regional area for 2 years, but it doesn't say immediately. IMO (and I am not an agent) you can stay out of Australia for the next 20 months or so and so long as you can get back to Adelaide (or another regional area) to live before you have only 2 years left on your 489 you should be ok.

As has been said, BE is quiet at the moment but we are a community here. The good people of the forum have been nothing but incredible in tough times for a good few of us here. Wishing you and your husband the best.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 2:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that your husband is so ill, what a dreadful time for you both. Take care of yourself as best you can, and as others have said there's always someone nice to talk with here on BE.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick one to thank you for the replies. That's a slight weight of my mind. I'm extremely grateful for the help and the kind comments.

Xx
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear your news, I think you hailed from East Anglia - if this is the area you've returned to, there are some of us BEs around here too if you need a shoulder or a coffee. Take care of yourself.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys. Bit of an update. Mr Clacfart is still recovering but fit to fly given and healthcare sorted and ready in Adelaide so we are on our way back in 10 days
Old Jan 9th 2019, 8:52 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys. Bit of an update. Mr Clacfart is still recovering but fit to fly given and healthcare sorted and ready in Adelaide so we are on our way back in 10 days
That's great news! I was just thinking about you yesterday wondering how you both were doing.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 9:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good news.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to read the good news.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 10th 2019 at 12:10 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 10th 2019, 11:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What a relief for you both! Thanks for updating us, I hope you both have a safe and comfy flight.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Was wondering how you were getting along, so good to hear your news! Onwards and upwards!
Old Jan 17th 2019, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much everyone. The kind wishes definitely helped. You guys are brilliant.

Can't wait, coming home on Saturday