Living Away from Home Allowance (457 visa)

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Nevis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living Away from Home Allowance (457 visa)

Can anyone help, sorry i couldnt see much about this. Are there any financial implications for the company sponsoring you for you to get LAFHA? I have been offered a job and this hasnt been mentioned, but I would like to negotiate it in if possible, just wondering the best way of doing this. Also, do you have to still own a house in the UK to qualify, as i was going to sell. Many thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Away from Home Allowance (457 visa)

Originally Posted by Nevis
Can anyone help, sorry i couldnt see much about this. Are there any financial implications for the company sponsoring you for you to get LAFHA? I have been offered a job and this hasnt been mentioned, but I would like to negotiate it in if possible, just wondering the best way of doing this. Also, do you have to still own a house in the UK to qualify, as i was going to sell. Many thanks
We were told that selling your home or giving up a lease on a rental meant you had an intention in the future of making your move permenant and therefore excluding you from getting LAFHA. Same goes for buying property in Australia. We didn't want to rent here and had no property in England so we didn't bother making a fuss about it.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Same here.

We wanted to stay in Australia and therefore was just glad to get a sponsor. Additional expenses would have probably ruled me out of employment anyway.

As it was, the company decided to sponsor me for PR within 3 months so no worry.

Debs
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends how 'friendly' your company accountant is.

I get $20,000 of my pay by LAFHA - i.e. $20,000 tax free - which is nice and defo worth asking for.

You certainly don't get LAFHA if:

- You even start the PR Process
- You buy a house in Oz rather than rent

There are no implications for the sponsoring company, only that you need a company that knows what they are doing - my wife's company had not even heard of LAFHA, never mind how to pay it.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Nevis is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks, i;ll give it a go; if you dont ask, you dont get!