Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Letter Template for secondary applicant's degree proof in english

Letter Template for secondary applicant's degree proof in english

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:42 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letter Template for secondary applicant's degree proof in english

Originally Posted by adeel.zafar
@ Bermudashorts

Some universities in Australia such as Uni Melbourne have specified as one of the English language requirements that applicant can provide evidence from his/her schools that the degree was assessed and taught in English.

Many universities in my country do have the medium of instruction and examination as English. Therefore, even though it may be something new to you, its not unusual in academic circles atleast.

@sonlymewalter

Not very strange if you consider the cost and effort involved in taking the IELTS test to meet English language criteria as compared to something that you can legitimately get and use for free.
So why ask for a letter template from a uni that teaches in English? Surely they have their own letterheads and their own way of acknowledging this info mate?

As a matter of interest are these universities accredited using worldwide recognised accreditation?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:52 pm

adeel.zafar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
So why ask for a letter template from a uni that teaches in English? Surely they have their own letterheads and their own way of acknowledging this info mate?

As a matter of interest are these universities accredited using worldwide recognised accreditation?
Yes they do have their own templates and procedures... You just have to request them that you need such evidence and they will give you something in their own format.. I am not sure about OP case though and his reasons for asking template. I was just trying to clarify that its (having such evidence) not abnormal...

Yes these are accredited univerities with degrees not only recognized by australian unversities but universities across the world...

And that does not mean all universities in my country, some of them are not even recognized by the higher education comission there haha... I was just talking about well established, well ranked and well reputed universities. NUST, LUMS, FAST, GIKI, IBA, UET etc are few to name in my country.

Last edited by adeel.zafar; Mar 2nd 2011 at 12:59 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:10 pm

adeel.zafar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I find it quite extraordinary that an educational establishment which conducts degree levels courses in English, would require this "template" just to confirm that a course was conducted in English.

Very fishy. I wonder if DIAC would notice if there were a flurry of such letter wsith this wording.
Apologies I misunderstood your post while replying to it earlier. I know what you mean.. and i agree..
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:35 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adeel.zafar
Yes they do have their own templates and procedures... You just have to request them that you need such evidence and they will give you something in their own format.. I am not sure about OP case though and his reasons for asking template. I was just trying to clarify that its (having such evidence) not abnormal...
I don't think anyone is questioning if it is abnormal, but why god bless the template for everything? Life is not made of templates. Case officers have some intelligence to read a letter and there are only so many ways you can say that the course was taught in English. I wonder if THAT represents a challenge to someone, what is their being educated to a degree level means if it means anything at all. Can't trust themselves to write a three sentence letter and running to a bunch of strangers on the net to do it for them - don't know about you, but to me it says a lot.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Dreamer309 is an unknown quantity at this point

I apologise about adding to this post, I am just a little confused now.

Planning to apply for a Visa for me and my partner, under my name. Until now, I have not noticed anything that mentions that my partner must also have competency in English. Will it be necessary for him to sit a test, or is this not necessary on a British passport?

I've never noticed anything regarding this on the immi.gov website, and if I have, I don't remember it as being relevant to our case.
I plan on passing the IELTS test, just as way of boosting the number of points I get, as I won't have any points for work experience as I am currently finishing my PhD.

Any clarification on this seemingly complicated issue would be very much appreciated, as always.

As for the rest of the story, I don't understand either why a template is needed. Universities teaching in English should be competent enough to write a letter in English stating their course is in English. (I've never written English more times in one sentence!)
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:35 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamer309
I apologise about adding to this post, I am just a little confused now.

Planning to apply for a Visa for me and my partner, under my name. Until now, I have not noticed anything that mentions that my partner must also have competency in English. Will it be necessary for him to sit a test, or is this not necessary on a British passport?

I've never noticed anything regarding this on the immi.gov website, and if I have, I don't remember it as being relevant to our case.
I plan on passing the IELTS test, just as way of boosting the number of points I get, as I won't have any points for work experience as I am currently finishing my PhD.

Any clarification on this seemingly complicated issue would be very much appreciated, as always.

As for the rest of the story, I don't understand either why a template is needed. Universities teaching in English should be competent enough to write a letter in English stating their course is in English. (I've never written English more times in one sentence!)
Every adult on the application needs to prove English ability. British passport works fine, esp. for secondary applicants. Primary applicants some times have to take IELTS test despite being native speakers.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Dreamer309 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, so basically, stating that he has a British passport will satisfy the relevant authorities without any problem, making my confusion and worry unnecessary? Ah, the joys of planning! Thank you newjersey!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamer309
Right, so basically, stating that he has a British passport will satisfy the relevant authorities without any problem, making my confusion and worry unnecessary? Ah, the joys of planning! Thank you newjersey!
Where is my template to say you are welcome? Shite, feel a need to start a thread about it, and title it urgent
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

remo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newjersey
Where is my template to say you are welcome? Shite, feel a need to start a thread about it, and title it urgent
New Jersey, why you creating a fuss for asking about the template, you need to show some common sense and need to think outside of your own 2 inch perimeter.

below i am stating few the things which need to be considered while you are writings some document to represent for official purposes other than saying "you are welcome"... for example,

1-should the letter addressed to a particular person/authority/department like your Case Officer/DIAC etc or an open like "to whom it may concern".?

2-Who should be the authorized signatory of the letter, principal or registrar of the college etc.?

3- Should the Identity number, Passport Number, TRN/Application number to be mentioned in the letter or not..?

and so on...
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by remo
New Jersey, why you creating a fuss for asking about the template, you need to show some common sense and need to think outside of your own 2 inch perimeter.

below i am stating few the things which need to be considered while you are writings some document to represent for official purposes other than saying "you are welcome"... for example,

1-should the letter addressed to a particular person/authority/department like your Case Officer/DIAC etc or an open like "to whom it may concern".?

2-Who should be the authorized signatory of the letter, principal or registrar of the college etc.?

3- Should the Identity number, Passport Number, TRN/Application number to be mentioned in the letter or not..?

and so on...
All those things will vary on depending what the letter is for. Providing "templates" which are actually letters written for one applicant is generally pointless as every case is different. Life does not consist of filling in templates and relying on others to do half the work for you. It consists of applying one's brain to the task in hand, thinking carefully about what has been asked for and then supplying it.

And FYI - Newjersey is practising a form of humour. If you are moving to Australia you will need to learn to recognise and appreciate this.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

remo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
All those things will vary on depending what the letter is for. Providing "templates" which are actually letters written for one applicant is generally pointless as every case is different. Life does not consist of filling in templates and relying on others to do half the work for you. It consists of applying one's brain to the task in hand, thinking carefully about what has been asked for and then supplying it.

And FYI - Newjersey is practising a form of humour. If you are moving to Australia you will need to learn to recognise and appreciate this.

agree with you, but my point is, there is nothing wrong in taking advise from others who have experience about some thing...the worst case scenario...if some one drafts a letter according to his own understanding and later come to know that it was not according to the the required format or some required information was missing...so that would be waste of time and resources as well.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

agree with you, but my point is, there is nothing wrong in taking advise from others who have experience about some thing...the worst case scenario...if some one drafts a letter according to his own understanding and later come to know that it was not according to the the required format or some required information was missing...so that would be waste of time and resources as well.
However, if you (general) are of sufficient intelligence required to be able to do a job and then apply for a visa one would expect that level of intelligence to carry on through to being able to write a letter giving relevant details. Universities are run by intelligent people. You request someone in authority to write a letter on your behalf, informing them of what information is required by DIAC, I'm damn sure both you and the University administrator are more than able to carry out the task.

The problem I see is that stacks and stacks of you read what is required and then assume that DIAC are trying to trick you and you then make every single flaming thing way more complicated than they actually are. DIAC want facts, end of. Just provide them.

Over this. DIAC do not want templates. Thread closed.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:24 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

why don't they ask their case officer whats required?

we moved here many years ago and when we were asked by the case officer to supply info I asked what info was required and then supplied it. i didn't come on here and ask for templates.

To be honest mate it never crossed my mind. We just got asked for info and we clarified what was needed and then gave it.

DIAC will soon start asking questions if everyone passes cloned info from templates...