Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Just took the IELTS test but now not sure if it was the right one

Just took the IELTS test but now not sure if it was the right one

Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:29 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Just took the IELTS test but now not sure if it was the right one

I just came home from taking the IELTS test. When I got there, I was asked 'academic or general'? I didn't know what this meant and so just told the guy I was applying for an Australian PR and he just put me in the 'academic' group.

When I came out of the test, I spoke to another guy at the reception desk and he asked me why I took the 'harder' of the 2 types of test. He wasn't sure if I needed to take the harder test - and now neither am I.

Can nayone shed any light on this?

- CDM
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just took the IELTS test but now not sure if it was the right one

Originally Posted by CDM
I just came home from taking the IELTS test. When I got there, I was asked 'academic or general'? I didn't know what this meant and so just told the guy I was applying for an Australian PR and he just put me in the 'academic' group.

When I came out of the test, I spoke to another guy at the reception desk and he asked me why I took the 'harder' of the 2 types of test. He wasn't sure if I needed to take the harder test - and now neither am I.

- CDM
Just done mine today too. If it is for the 10 extra points the general is all you need.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

sehmbi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM

For the PR application you needed a General IELTS for the extra points ... and for the study visa you need academic IELTS.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Java is an unknown quantity at this point

It should be fine, DIAC accepts the outcome of the academic test.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

The academic IELTS is considered to be more difficult that the general IELTS but whichever you take if you get scores of 7 or above in all four sections then you've just earned yourself an extra 10 points. (assuming you were a native english speaker already).

Good luck with the results.