Just starting out

Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Julian Stock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just starting out

Hello all

This is my first posting. I have a million questions in my head but I guess I should start slowly.

Myself and my wife have decided that we would like to move to Australia. I am in the very early stages of learning as much as I can and I haven't applied for a visa yet. At the outset, it seems like the likelihood of us going is quite slim as our occupations do not sit within the SOL. Despite having family and friends in Brisbane, I do not know them well enough to expect them to sponsor us.

I suppose my first question is; Should I give up hope or carry on ?

My approach is to apply some commom sense to all of this. Thousands of Brits leave blighty every year and I'm guessing that at least some of them get in without having an occupation from the SOL or have stacks of cash. I have also read that the cost of the Skilled Migration Visa is around 6000AUD per person which would bring my attempt to move down under to an abrupt end. Is this accuarate ?

When it comes to applying for a visa, does anyone know if it is possible to have an interview with the Australian Embassy in London to get the ball rolling or do you have to apply on-line or in writing first ?

Thanks.

Julian

Last edited by Julian Stock; Sep 9th 2009 at 12:02 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting out

There is a visa wizard on www.immi.gov.au, this might be a very good place to start to see what visa, if any, you are eligible for.

Your friends in Brisbane would not be able to sponsor you no matter how well you know them and you would still need to be in an occupation on the SOL to get a family sponsored visa, so I assume that rules that out.

Other possibilities are the family related "last remaining relative" visa, to qualify for this you would have to have no immediate family (other than dependent children) in the UK and there are some parent visas if you have grown up children in Australia (but your post does not suggest this is the case).

If you have the money, you could apply for a student visa and study towards a skill on the SOL.

Employer sponsorship is another option in theory but it is not easy to get employer sponsorship from the UK.

There are business visas available if you have a track record of running a successful company in the UK and could create jobs in Australia.

That's all I can think of.

Good luck,
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:33 pm
Cez
Account Closed

Cez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

sorry for sidetracking this thread (hopefully not for long!) but I'm just starting out too and was hoping someone could confirm that I've figured this out right - To get a 175 visa (I'm a social worker, on the SOL list), I need to have 3 years experience out of the last 4, and 12 months from the last 24. And I also need to have my skills assessed by the relevant Australian governing body? Finally (promise), when in Australia, would I have to work as a social worker, or could I work in a related field, like as a welfare worker?

Loads and loads of thanks (it is my birthday if that can convince anyone to reply!)

Cez x
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Birthday Cez!

The first thing you need to do in a 175 application is get your skills assessed by the relevant body, for social work it is the AASW - Australian Assoication of Social Workers. They may have some requirements concerning how much work experience you need in order to get a positive skilled assessment.

If the three out of four years experience is something that you read on the DIAC site (as opposed to something specific to social work), then in fact this is just something that will get you extra points but it is not essential.

It is essential that you meet the 12 out of last 24 months requirement.

If you qualify and get your visa, once you get to Australia, you can work in whatever field you like.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:13 pm
Cez
Account Closed

Cez is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, that's great, thanks for replying so quickly! I'm having a glass of Amarula in your honour now!