Johnny boy from Brisbane-mac work

Old Mar 8th 2002, 11:35 pm
Monty

Default Johnny boy from Brisbane-mac work

Hi

I write to you as you are in the printing business , but anyone else who may know
info , please respond too.

My hubby has just had his assessment back from TRA-positive!!!!!! How is the printing
industry with regards to work and in which area would one have the most success. He
is qualified as a photogravure engraver but shortly after went into the DTP and mac
and pc side of the industry.

Any help and info would be appreciated. What type of wages can one expect in
this field?

Thanks Jenny on behalf of hubby

Old Mar 9th 2002, 10:35 am
Johnny Boy

Default Re: Johnny boy from Brisbane-mac work

Hi Jenny,

Unfortunately prepress operators don't get paid that well at all here in Brisbane,
if you compare with, well, just about anywhere else in the Western world

But having said that, as I said once before, living in Queensland is inexpensive, and
the reason most people move to this part of Oz, is for the lifestyle - not the money.

Expect between $35,000 and $40,000 plus overtime. The industry is very competitive,
and Brisbane has a limited market - some of the bigger companies can pull work from
interstate. My advice: try to get a position in a printing company rather than a
standalone prepress studio. Many of the standalone trade houses are retrenching. One
of the main reasons is that more and more printers are doing there own prepress, and
many will cop a loss on the prepress, just to win the print work. How can a
standalone prepress studio compete with that??

I hope I haven't painted a too gloomy picture for you, the jobs are out there - just
go round banging on doors, don't wait for positions to be advertised. The job market
is competitive, but you should have an edge coming from a print background rather
than DTP and Design. Remember - experience in Quark, Illustrator, FreeHand, Photoshop
and Corel Draw on Mac or PC is all very fine - but what will set you apart is print
knowledge, troubleshooting files and the backend stuff such as Postscript and font
issues, trapping, RIPping and output.

Hope I've been of some help, maybe I'll run into your husband one day! Good luck with
your move - I came to Brisbane just over a year ago from NZ - best move I ever made -
it's a wonderful place to live,

Kind regards, John

"monty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > I write to you as you are in the printing business , but anyone else who may know
    > info , please respond too.
    >
    > My hubby has just had his assessment back from TRA-positive!!!!!! How is the
    > printing industry with regards to work and in which area would one have the most
    > success. He is qualified as a photogravure engraver but shortly after went into the
    > DTP and mac and pc side of the industry.
    >
    > Any help and info would be appreciated. What type of wages can one expect in
    > this field?
    >
    > Thanks Jenny on behalf of hubby

Old Mar 10th 2002, 3:35 pm
Monty

Default Re: Johnny boy from Brisbane-mac work

"Johnny Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Jenny,
    >
    > Unfortunately prepress operators don't get paid that well at all here in Brisbane,
    > if you compare with, well, just about anywhere else in the Western world
    >
    > But having said that, as I said once before, living in Queensland is inexpensive,
    > and the reason most people move to this part of Oz, is for the lifestyle - not
    > the money.
    >
    > Expect between $35,000 and $40,000 plus overtime. The industry is very competitive,
    > and Brisbane has a limited market - some of the bigger companies can pull work from
    > interstate. My advice: try to get a position in a printing company rather than a
    > standalone prepress studio. Many of the standalone trade houses are retrenching.
    > One of the main reasons is that more and more printers are doing there own
    > prepress, and many will cop a loss on the prepress, just to win the print work. How
    > can a standalone prepress studio compete with that??
    >
    > I hope I haven't painted a too gloomy picture for you, the jobs are out there -
    > just go round banging on doors, don't wait for positions to be advertised. The job
    > market is competitive, but you should have an edge coming from a print background
    > rather than DTP and Design. Remember - experience in Quark, Illustrator, FreeHand,
    > Photoshop and Corel Draw on Mac or PC is all very fine - but what will set you
    > apart is print knowledge, troubleshooting files and the backend stuff such as
    > Postscript and font issues, trapping, RIPping and output.
    >
    > Hope I've been of some help, maybe I'll run into your husband one day! Good luck
    > with your move - I came to Brisbane just over a year ago from NZ - best move I ever
    > made - it's a wonderful place to live,
    >
    > Kind regards, John
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "monty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I write to you as you are in the printing business , but anyone else who may know
    > > info , please respond too.
    > >
    > > My hubby has just had his assessment back from TRA-positive!!!!!! How is the
    > > printing industry with regards to work and in which area would one have the most
    > > success. He is qualified as a photogravure engraver but shortly after went into
    > > the DTP and mac and pc side of the industry.
    > >
    > > Any help and info would be appreciated. What type of wages can one expect in this
    > > field?
    > >
    > > Thanks Jenny on behalf of hubby

Hi again

Thanks for the response.

Hubby would like to get your email if possible to ask a few more things.