irish police checks??..

Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

JackJack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: irish police checks??..

I am applying for a visa for Australia and am going for my police certificate checks for the visa.

Can anyone please tell me 1) How far back do the Irish police checks go is it 10 years... 2) How strict are they with the checks... as in do they only look for convictions or do they look for everything...

Any help on these questions would be great...thanks folks.

Jack
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:47 pm
Holy c%*p, I'm in!!!

lilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nice

Originally Posted by roamer25
Sh************tttt.

I did this but now having read your post, just realised I didn't include a stamped addressed enevlope.
I hope the superintendent is nice and sends it anyway! :|
Just saw your mini panic attack!!! Wouldn't worry too much, I reckon they are fairly accomodating. If you don't get it after a couple of weeks I would maybe give them a ring but I don't expect you have any problems.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackJack
I am applying for a visa for Australia and am going for my police certificate checks for the visa.

Can anyone please tell me 1) How far back do the Irish police checks go is it 10 years... 2) How strict are they with the checks... as in do they only look for convictions or do they look for everything...

Any help on these questions would be great...thanks folks.

Jack
When you say "everything" what do you mean? If you mean cautions, then yes, they might appear. If you mean general police intelligence, no they aren't allowed to release anything like that.
You must declare ALL convictions, no matter how long ago.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Hi Super,
I will of course admit everything am just wondering how strict they are thats all. What do you mean by general police intelligence....

Jack
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:04 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lilsweets
Just saw your mini panic attack!!! Wouldn't worry too much, I reckon they are fairly accomodating. If you don't get it after a couple of weeks I would maybe give them a ring but I don't expect you have any problems.
Got it today! Woo!
One thing to cross off the list.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:34 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Super,
I will of course admit everything am just wondering how strict they are thats all. What do you mean by general police intelligence....

Jack
It will only include stuff you have been convicted of. Not the gardai's general opinion of you. while that maybe on file they cant Share it. relaxyou get a copy and can dispute it
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys, got a call from the gardai and they told me they a going to give me my clearance because of my conviction...now I am kind of stuffed...I thought they had to give it to me and let Australian immigration make their own minds up but the super said he will not give me the clearance....... anyone have any ideas cause I'm fresh out of them and am ducked now....

Jack
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Thanks guys, got a call from the gardai and they told me they a going to give me my clearance because of my conviction...now I am kind of stuffed...I thought they had to give it to me and let Australian immigration make their own minds up but the super said he will not give me the clearance....... anyone have any ideas cause I'm fresh out of them and am ducked now....

Jack
do you mean they are NOT going to give you one? oh bum!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

They probably cannot refuse to do so, legally:
http://www.garda.ie/faq.html#C1
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough

i got my visa today....

wat a relief
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Jack
Legally they have to supply you with a copy of your conviction.
Maybe they are confusing the terms, and are saying they cannot give you a "clearance" because you have a conviction. You are still entitled to a copy of what is held on file about you though.

Quote to them from the link JAJ has given - a subject access request under the Data Protection Act has to be supplied.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 3rd 2008 at 6:13 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Chief1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder, did u apply to the correct Garda station, or did the Gardai understand what it was for? If it went to Thurles (Central Garda Processing Office) they will not issue a clearence if u have a conviction as they are set up to check people who are working in sensitive jobs (Teachers Etc).

To the best of my knowledge the Gardai have to give u a clearence cert that mentions ur conviction and a copy of said conviction. I could be wrong and am not a solicitor however.

Do u know any guards personally? Could always be an idea to enlist the help of a solicitior. How old is ur conviction by the way?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:16 am
Just Joined

vwgirl2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I want to apply for professional registration as a social worker in Canada....need police checks.

I am a Uk citizen, however lived in The Republic of Ireland for 10 years.....on the Garda website..it states that they will only do a Police check if its for the attention of a consulate.

Does anyone know if I will have to wait untill I'm applying for TWP ??

Want to get registered as will help in getting a job offer

Thanks Everyone
sam x
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:16 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vwgirl2008
Hi,

I want to apply for professional registration as a social worker in Canada....need police checks.

I am a Uk citizen, however lived in The Republic of Ireland for 10 years.....on the Garda website..it states that they will only do a Police check if its for the attention of a consulate.

Does anyone know if I will have to wait untill I'm applying for TWP ??

Want to get registered as will help in getting a job offer

Thanks Everyone
sam x
Hi

I dont think it matters a lot , give a Garda Station a ring and ask them how to get a Police check by post. They should be able to tell you. Try a few stations if the answer is bad sometimes some Gardai just dont care.

If the form is not downloadable then have someone scan it and send it to you.

best of luck do it soon as it take longer thenm the UK ACPO one
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vwgirl2008
Hi,

You may wish to look at post #24.