Interdependent/De Facto Financial Evidence

Old Aug 13th 2004, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Derk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interdependent/De Facto Financial Evidence

My partner and I have been living together for 2 years but have not share our financial arrangements. Has anyone found this a problem in getting your application through.

Do the Australian authorities accept that modern couples live in this way?

Thanks for any help/support!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:24 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Interdependent/De Facto Financial Evidence

Originally Posted by Derk
My partner and I have been living together for 2 years but have not share our financial arrangements. Has anyone found this a problem in getting your application through.

Do the Australian authorities accept that modern couples live in this way?

Thanks for any help/support!
Hi,

You'll probably find almost as many people on here who do have joint finances, as those who dont. I was one of the people who didnt (but do have a visa). I was advised to show evidence that you were at the same address for every month of the previous year (piece of mail) and then an odd piece of post for any time previous to that.

Below is a list of everything I sent in. I was actually asked for more info in the first instance, so they didnt just turn me down and told me what extra things they needed anyway. The most important thing is that you have been living as a de facto couple for 12months+ and that you can prove this in one way or another.

Cheers

Items I sent in for my de facto visa

1. Main Forms
Form 40SP
Form 47SP
Form 886 Settlement Details

2. Health and Character
UK Police Clearance
Form 80
Medicals

3. Identification
Certified copy of Sponsors birth certificate
Certified copy of sponsor’s passport
Certified copy of applicant’s birth certificate
Certified copy of applicant’s passport
Passport photos of sponsor x2
Passport photos of applicant x4

4. Employment Details
Sponsors group certificate, certified copy
Letter of employment for Sponsor
Reference letter from Michelle’s employer in Brisbane
Screen print of jobs available in Brisbane suitable for Michelle
Copy of Michelle’s CV/Qualifications proving employability

5. Our Statements
Statement from Shane on our relationship
Statement from Michelle on our relationship

6. Supporting Statements
Statutory Declaration from Sponsors Mum
Statutory Declaration from mutual friend (Sally)
Letter from Sponsors Daughter (Kayla)
Letter from Sponsors friend (Anthony)
Statutory Declaration from Sponsors friend (Jason)
Statement from my brother (David)
Statement from my Dad (Richard)
Statement from my friend (Claire)
Statement from my friend (Hayley)
Statement from my friend (Natalie)

7. Evidence of living together
Bank Statement showing transfer of funds
Microsoft Money spreadsheet and description
Letters showing that 109 Quinlan Street was owned by Shane previous to 08/02/04
Letters (6) for Michelle at 109 Quinlan St
Letters (14) for Shane at 109 Quinlan St
Copy of form adding Michelle to Shane’s credit card

8. Evidence of social aspects and life together
Page of photos x3
AFL ticket, Sept 2000 in Brisbane
Pearl Jam tickets, Feb 2003 in Brisbane x2
Gym Membership, in Brisbane x2
Rugby World Cup ticket, Nov 2004 in Brisbane x2
Thank-you card to both of us from Natalie & Amy
Copy of gym membership showing Shane as next of kin
Handmade birthday card for Michelle from Kayla
Wedding invitation to us both for April 2003
Information received on possible wedding reception places

9.Evidence of joint holidays
Credit card statement showing hire car in New Zealand
Maui Rentals New Zealand
Plane ticket to Christchurch for Michelle Bonner, July 2003
Email for Shane Gilbert showing details of flight to New Zealand, July 2003
Travel documents for Michelle & Shane to Thailand and UK Jan/Feb 2004
Easyjet flights in France 2004
Easyjet flights in Spain 2004

10. Evidence of contact whilst apart
Phone bills
Relevant page of passport showing travel to Kuala Lumpur, June 2000
Travel documents to Australia Aug/Sept 2001
Email from Shane dated December 2000
Emailed photos from Shane dated November 2001
Emailed photos from Michelle dated September 2001
Cards from the flowers Shane has sent Michelle
Sample of cards Michelle has sent Shane
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:37 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings,

I am a UK citizen and I'm heading down to Melbourne next week to apply for my de-facto spouse visa. My evididence is v.similar to yourself it would appear, the only thing being I only have letters addressed to myself at the same address as my spouse going back to September last year. My spouse's mother has said in her declaration that we were indeed living at the same address but if we are asked for more evidence to prove this I think we will be a bit stuck.. Instead of submitting all available evidence first off, does anybody know if it's worth withholding part of evidence just incase you are asked for more?? Otherwise we would have no more to send if asked. Also, I am dreading that we will get asked for Assurance Of Support as I have tried to find suitable sponsors over here but have had no luck.. Is there any way around this e.g. could somebody in the UK put up the bond money?? I am currently doing casual laboring work, if I am able to find full time work between the application being submitted next week and the AOS being requested (that's if i am asked for one) does anybody know if that would be substantial changes of circumstance enough for the AoS to be waived??

kind regards
NJJ
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:12 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by NJJ
Greetings,

I am a UK citizen and I'm heading down to Melbourne next week to apply for my de-facto spouse visa. My evididence is v.similar to yourself it would appear, the only thing being I only have letters addressed to myself at the same address as my spouse going back to September last year. My spouse's mother has said in her declaration that we were indeed living at the same address but if we are asked for more evidence to prove this I think we will be a bit stuck.. Instead of submitting all available evidence first off, does anybody know if it's worth withholding part of evidence just incase you are asked for more?? Otherwise we would have no more to send if asked. Also, I am dreading that we will get asked for Assurance Of Support as I have tried to find suitable sponsors over here but have had no luck.. Is there any way around this e.g. could somebody in the UK put up the bond money?? I am currently doing casual laboring work, if I am able to find full time work between the application being submitted next week and the AOS being requested (that's if i am asked for one) does anybody know if that would be substantial changes of circumstance enough for the AoS to be waived??

kind regards
NJJ
Hi NJJ,

I didnt on purposely withhold info, but I found it quite easy to collect a lot more when I sat down and thought about it when the AHC asked for it. IMO I would send everything you can think of in the first instance in, but I guess it is up to you.
AoS aren't usually requested for couples where the partner is from the UK, especially if you can prove you can support yourself & your partner. I think you're only asked for an AoS if you're going to be a welfare burden for the Australian government.

If you only have post from last September, other than your spouses mothers statement how are you managing to prove the 12 months defacto r'ship?? This is one of the requirements of the visa.

Good luck with it all
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

lizzel is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Interdependent/De Facto Financial Evidence

What type of visa was it that you applied for? Was it a defacto or fiance?

If it was a defacto, can you tell me how?
I was advised to go for a fiance visa as Jim and I have been together for 2 and a half years. We met whilst working in Oz together on a Whitsunday Island and I moved in with him two weeks later. We then travelled down Oz (as I was backpacking) and stayed with his parents for the remaining couple of months. He came back to Uk with me on a working visa and has to leave on Oct 14th when this runs out. We have lived with my parents ever since.

I was told that I could not do a defacto visa as we have no joint rental agreements or joint utility bills. BUt we have a joint bank account and joint wills amongst other things.

Your list you have posted is very very similiar to the eveidence that we have collected so now im wondering if we could apply for a defacto visa as it could help with the tight time scale we have.

God now im even more confused as to what we should do. I consulted Go Matilda Agency ages ago as to what visa I should apply for and they said there was no way we could get a defacto visa.

HHHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!! Im tearing my hair out now!
Old Aug 14th 2004, 11:03 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by lizzel
What type of visa was it that you applied for? Was it a defacto or fiance?

If it was a defacto, can you tell me how?
I was advised to go for a fiance visa as Jim and I have been together for 2 and a half years. We met whilst working in Oz together on a Whitsunday Island and I moved in with him two weeks later. We then travelled down Oz (as I was backpacking) and stayed with his parents for the remaining couple of months. He came back to Uk with me on a working visa and has to leave on Oct 14th when this runs out. We have lived with my parents ever since.

I was told that I could not do a defacto visa as we have no joint rental agreements or joint utility bills. BUt we have a joint bank account and joint wills amongst other things.

Your list you have posted is very very similiar to the eveidence that we have collected so now im wondering if we could apply for a defacto visa as it could help with the tight time scale we have.

God now im even more confused as to what we should do. I consulted Go Matilda Agency ages ago as to what visa I should apply for and they said there was no way we could get a defacto visa.

HHHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!! Im tearing my hair out now!
If GoMatilda told you that you couldn't get it, I guess they're a very reputable agency so perhaps go with their advice. If you're unsure about it I think Alan Collett is quite approachable, so perhaps he could give you a second opinion??

I got my de facto visa, I was asked for extra information though, so I dont know how close it was. Our story, if it helps is;
I met my boyf in June 2000 in Malaysia whilst I was on holiday and he was working. We kept in touch and I went out to see him in Sept 2001 for a month. We then kept in touch again and I moved out here on a WHV in Feb 2003. I spent 12 months here and he spent a month with me in the UK/Europe before (him) going back to Australia in March 2004. We had no joint bills, but a lot of post at the same address, and you can see above the things we did have.

I don't know if this makes it easier for you or not. I think that a pros spouse visa is slightly easier to get as its a matter of proving your intention to marry. You still then need to prove your relationship, just you have extra time and by then a marriage certificate to put it together. If you have a borderline case I guess on those assumptions it makes sense to go pros (if you were intending to get married soon anyway). For me this wasnt even an option, as my partners divorce has not been finalised yet (shes dragging her feet )

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll make the right decision
Old Aug 15th 2004, 1:18 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Much like lizzel I have been living with my de-facto spouse for around 3 years and similarly I too approached an agent who had been recommended for advice and although they were quick at taking my money they were less than hasty in returning my e-mails and telephone calls which has left me somewhat disheartened in the whole process in a way.. Anyways enough of that I just hope that the case officer sees the case for what it is and grants us the visa as my partner & I have been a bit naive with regards to purposely collecting the types of evidence required for our visa and have only just managed to get together a substantial amount we believe, but hopefully we have got enough to satisfy the application requirements.

NJJ
Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Derk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Interdependent/De Facto Financial Evidence

Thanks for an amazing reponse. I really appreciate you taking time out to give such helpful information.

As my partner and I are the same sex we will be applying for an Interdependent visa (I included 'De Facto' in my thread as this seems to be the equivalent for hetrosexual couples).

I believe we will be able to show a piece if evidence for each month of the 1yr 11months we have been living togther.

My only concern now is that we will be using an agent whose initial advice is we need 12months of joint financial documents. I really don't want to get involved in a battle of wills with our agent!

We intend to apply in Jan 2005 when we have been together for 2yrs 8mths and living together for 2yrs 4mths.

I am off to produce a month by month list of evidence.

A big big thankyou again!