IELTS score remark

Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

AJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really nice
Angry IELTS Contest

Hi,

Looking for advice on contesting the IELTS score, my partner sat this two weeks ago and got the results today, 8.5, 8.5, 9.0 and 7.5!

The 7.5 was in writing, but she is very distraught at this fact, because she is a secondary school teacher who is constantly writing reports etc... She believes she may have been penalised because of the word count, being below the requirement on one of the papers. During the exam she had to leave the hall twice to use the facilities (10 weeks pregnant at the time - but still has pressure on bladder) and there was an individual constantly tapping in front of her (although she did not report this - too nice.)

Can I use these reasons for contesting, will they take this into consideration? Don't wish to ask her to take it again as she is already having a stressful pregnancy and this is something she (and I) could do without!

Any assistance would be of great help.

Andrew

Last edited by AJRussell; Oct 24th 2011 at 6:08 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS Contest

Well if she didn't report these things at the time, I would be dubious as to whether it would make a compelling argument now.

People do succeed in getting a score amended just by having a second person look at it (in writing which is more subjective marking). However if she is sure she didn't make the wordcount then this seems less likely.

You have two options, ask for a remark or resit. Nobody on BE will be able to tell you whether remark will be successful in your individual case even if we discuss it for 15 pages. If you / she really does not want to resit then looks like you need to go for remark. Good luck.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:09 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Think of ot this way, 8 weeks for remark plus (if unsuccessful) 4 weeks before your next sitting (I think that's what the timings are, give or take) that puts you somewhere fairly close to delivery date if my math is any good.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

AJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really nice

Originally Posted by newjersey
Think of ot this way, 8 weeks for remark plus (if unsuccessful) 4 weeks before your next sitting (I think that's what the timings are, give or take) that puts you somewhere fairly close to delivery date if my math is any good.
Next test close to me is not for another 9 weeks for General Training, dont really have much choice to contest it and see.

Just wondering if IELTS take things into consideration, does anyone know of any IELTS forums, as Google brings up duff results of backshop operations
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJRussell
Next test close to me is not for another 9 weeks for General Training, dont really have much choice to contest it and see.

Just wondering if IELTS take things into consideration, does anyone know of any IELTS forums, as Google brings up duff results of backshop operations
So you would not go for a remark but you are actually going to argue after the event that the conditions were not fair and she needed to go to loo twice.

Hmmm well there is no harm in trying, seriously the worst that can happen is they will say too bad. You have to admit that it doesn't sound very convincing though does it? I have seen numerous people with successful remarks but never anyone contest and get higher marks because of the conditions in the exam hall or being pregnant.

If you have ruled out remark, then my honest opinion is that you will need to reconcile yourself with taking the test again.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something? If she is 12 wks now then, in your scenario 12 + 8+ 4 is only 24 wks. The average pregnancy is around 38 -40wks.
I was still going to rock concerts at 37.5 weeks...
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:34 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Am I missing something? If she is 12 wks now then, in your scenario 12 + 8+ 4 is only 24 wks. The average pregnancy is around 38 -40wks.
I was still going to rock concerts at 37.5 weeks...
Somehow I thought she might be around 18-20 weeks in by now, my mistake.

Anyway. 2 OP: have you considered taking academic version, they are equally accepted by the DIAC and not that much different complexity-wise. Reason I am saying this, is that you may be able to get a sitting for academic much sooner than for general, esp. if your test center tends to be overbooked all the time.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

I am going to push for a remark on the 7.5 - I have been reviewing a few online forums where people have contested on 7.5 or 6.5 and had their mark increased by 0.5. It appears the writing exam is the most contested as its down to the examiners opinion.

She believes the only reason she may of dropped marks was because of word count being short - which if this is the case being dropped 1.5 marks is extremely harsh, especially taking her other marks into consideration.

Just extremely frustrated - had 120 points on the old system, now have 55 points on the new system (with IELTS @ 7). Next year she gets another 5 points for experience and I am debating whether to push for skills assessment on Business Analysis for the other 5 points, but this is still pushing me towards June 2012 before applying and knowing my luck Teachers will be removed from the SOL -
Old Nov 5th 2011, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

shelly23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ielts need 8 in all 4 cat, please help

Hi just received results from Ielts today, with disappointing result.
list 9
read 9
write 7.5
reading 7.5

I need 8 in all cat for 20 points for the visa, can anyone tell me if they have received 20 points without getting 8's. I know i'll get 10 for the 7's, but as I'm over 40 points are reduced. I'm a nurse with years of experience and just waiting for my skills letter to come from the ANMC.
Any help will make me feel better, I don't want to have to do it again, however i am going to appeal. (I am English born and bred) Feelings very disheartened today.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Ielts need 8 in all 4 cat, please help

How would anyone get 20 points if they didn't get the requisite score? Not sure what you mean by that.

There is little point appealing your IELTS result whilst your writing could get marked up to 8, the reading questions are right or wrong and marking is electronic.

Was this the academic version? Perhaps you could try the general next time?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

shelly23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
How would anyone get 20 points if they didn't get the requisite score? Not sure what you mean by that.

There is little point appealing your IELTS result whilst your writing could get marked up to 8, the reading questions are right or wrong and marking is electronic.

Was this the academic version? Perhaps you could try the general next time?
I know that if i didn't have 8 then prob wouldn't get 20 points, just hoping really, maybe immigration would decide case by case.
The appeal was more for the reading as I know I did far better than the last one, this was general, last one academic but will prob have to do again.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by shelly23
I know that if i didn't have 8 then prob wouldn't get 20 points, just hoping really, maybe immigration would decide case by case.
The appeal was more for the reading as I know I did far better than the last one, this was general, last one academic but will prob have to do again.
They can only get to check if the form was read by the compiter correctly, there is no remark as such, so you'd be wasting your money. And sorRy, no, DIAC has no discretion when it comes to the language points.

Do you have a prep guide for the test? I see you did a 1/2 point better than the first time, but that is almost within the margin of error, have you actually studied for it? If you did, and tests are just not your thing, may be you could to try a sponsored visa of some sort? just sayin...
Old Nov 6th 2011, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

vxm665 is an unknown quantity at this point

They can only get to check if the form was read by the compiter correctly, there is no remark as such, so you'd be wasting your money. And sorRy, no, DIAC has no discretion when it comes to the language points.

Do you have a prep guide for the test? I see you did a 1/2 point better than the first time, but that is almost within the margin of error, have you actually studied for it? If you did, and tests are just not your thing, may be you could to try a sponsored visa of some sort? just sayin...
Think about getting the points by other ways like state sponsor. I hope with good practice, you can archive more than 8 for writing.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:57 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelly23
Hi just received results from Ielts today, with disappointing result.
list 9
read 9
write 7.5
reading 7.5
You are very close already. I know you don't want to take the test a second time, but if you do, I think you could get 8.0. It is a test after all, so practice does make perfect.

I attended the 1-day workshop at British Council, and it helps a lot. You might want to consider doing that.

IMO, re-taking the test is much easier than appealing the results or getting state sponsorship.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:39 am
MVM
Just Joined

MVM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul2O
You are very close already. I know you don't want to take the test a second time, but if you do, I think you could get 8.0. It is a test after all, so practice does make perfect.

I attended the 1-day workshop at British Council, and it helps a lot. You might want to consider doing that.

IMO, re-taking the test is much easier than appealing the results or getting state sponsorship.
If you are in the right age bracket and have state sponsorship (or enough qualification points with work experience points, you may be well set to go with the same result). I am happy to assess your eligibility more detailed through forum so no cost is involved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.