IELTS HELL!

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:42 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS HELL!

Originally Posted by PamE
Hi Jen, only 2 test centres in Scotland to my knowledge (don't know about England) - Glasgow & Edinburgh - OH used Glasgow uni & was able to do it all in one day altho you need to check your date cos that's not always the case. Here's the 2009 dates and contact details: http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/languagecentre/ielts/
It can be a long day as if there's a lot of people depends where you and in the speaking test Q.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Great stuff PamE, thanks for your help...
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Great stuff PamE, thanks for your help...
Hiya Jen
I did mine in Liverpool - if you google IELTs test centre - you should get something. I know that Manchester Uni do them too!! Good luck
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:09 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Hiya Jen
I did mine in Liverpool - if you google IELTs test centre - you should get something. I know that Manchester Uni do them too!! Good luck
Thanks Emz
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

helsch is an unknown quantity at this point

I need to take an IELTS exam, and the next one here in Northern Ireland isn't until the 30th May, the ones in Dublin are done over a series of two days, which isn't ideal, as being a teacher I cant really just take days off willy nilly!

Does anyone know if the test centres on mainland UK do the tests all in one day? Also I'd rather sit it in the UK as otherwise the cost, cos of the euro is £163 rather than the £105 I expected!!!! lol

Also, does anyone know how long the actual test day runs, as I'd obviously need to book a flight to visit a test centre it seems....GRR LOL
It's done on saturdays in Dublin, and if it's early enough you can request the oral exam on the same day. no need to take days off...
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:22 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by helsch
It's done on saturdays in Dublin, and if it's early enough you can request the oral exam on the same day. no need to take days off...
When I phoned up today the girl said she couldn't guarantee it being on the same day, any advice? It'd be far easier to go to Dublin than Liverpool which I'm currently looking at....
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

When I phoned up today the girl said she couldn't guarantee it being on the same day, any advice? It'd be far easier to go to Dublin than Liverpool which I'm currently looking at....
I did it in 1 day in dublin (UCD) last september. When you register, you can request the oral exam on the same day. I think I had to send an email to give my reasons. Coming from NI should be a good enough reason. Of course they cannot guarantee it as it is also first come first served. the main test takes about 4 hrs, and they use the afternoon for the oral exam (10 min). very annoying, i had to talk about a dublin statue for 3 min...
good luck
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:29 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by helsch
I did it in 1 day in dublin (UCD) last september. When you register, you can request the oral exam on the same day. I think I had to send an email to give my reasons. Coming from NI should be a good enough reason. Of course they cannot guarantee it as it is also first come first served. the main test takes about 4 hrs, and they use the afternoon for the oral exam (10 min). very annoying, i had to talk about a dublin statue for 3 min...
good luck
Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm sure that was absolutely riveting for you, tee hee....

Whereabouts are you from?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm sure that was absolutely riveting for you, tee hee....

Whereabouts are you from?
I'm french actually. I went to the test very relaxed as I presumed it was gonna be very basic. I passed by the skin of my teeth (7.5 across the 4 tests) and found the experience a bit annoying and frustrating.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice

is LIverpool's speaking on the same day as the other 3 compononents? we (husband) are sitting it on the 21st.....
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice

do you think its easier to score higher in say Holland/Germany compared to UK?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

eurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Anne2Oz
do you think its easier to score higher in say Holland/Germany compared to UK?
Nope, as the test results are assessed in the UK (and it would not be much of a standard test if they measure agains different standards). I went (almost) unprepared to the test (like Helch did) and thought I would do fine (as I worked for an English speaking company for over 9 years and have good language skills in general). The only thing I reviewed (from a free online source) was the structure of an essay as expected for this test.

I was in a kind of shock at the test centre when I saw all these applicants reviewing study materials, and all telling each other how hard it was (and that the Academic test was harder than the General test.. as I applied for the first). The test itself reminded me of the formal Dutch State exams when you leave highschool. And as all 4 parts were sat the same day, it was a really exhausting experience.

Afterwards, I really understand the concerns everyone had. I am certain I would have done better if I had actually practiced writing of essays (I was short in word count as handwriting is uhm.. pretty much old fashioned to me now). I have only sat the test once as my scores were sufficient to claim proficient English.

I read somewhere in this thread that IELTS seems to be unfair/hard when English is ones native language. But for everyone that tries to obtain 25 points for the proficient level English, it should be equally hard to achieve. Not every Dutch person speaks/writes equally well in Dutch either and I am sure that goes for every other language.

I wish everyone that needs to resit the test good luck!!

Last edited by eurosyl; Feb 3rd 2009 at 2:00 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurosyl
Nope, as the test results are assessed in the UK (and it would not be much of a standard test if they measure agains different standards). I went (almost) unprepared to the test (like Helch did) and thought I would do fine (as I worked for an English speaking company for over 9 years and have good language skills in general). The only thing I reviewed (from a free online source) was the structure of an essay as expected for this test.

I was in a kind of shock at the test centre when I saw all these applicants reviewing study materials, and all telling each other how hard it was (and that the Academic test was harder than the General test.. as I applied for the first). The test itself reminded me of the formal Dutch State exams when you leave highschool. And as all 4 parts were sat the same day, it was a really exhausting experience.

Afterwards, I really understand the concerns everyone had. I am certain I would have done better if I had actually practiced writing of essays (I was short in word count as handwriting is uhm.. pretty much old fashioned to me now). I have only sat the test once as my scores were sufficient to claim proficient English.

I read somewhere in this thread that IELTS seems to be unfair/hard when English is ones native language. But for everyone that tries to obtain 25 points for the proficient level English, it should be equally hard to achieve. Not every Dutch person speaks/writes equally well in Dutch either and I am sure that goes for every other language.

I wish everyone that needs to resit the test good luck!!
I think the reason that it is hard for native speakers that have lived in the UK is that certain questions easily lead you to use lifestyle knowledge and accepted practices of life rather than english language skills.

Eg the example someone gave of The High Street Bank. Is that a noun or is it the location of a bank? As many banks are located in the High St it's misleading. If they had used some other psyduonym it wouldn't be so bad.

Another example is on the actual IELTS website. A company has had an eviable reputation for 20 years. You need to know whether that or another company have been in business longest? Did this company start trading 20 years ago or just get a good reputation then? Common usage of that phrase would suggest thats how long they've been in business but that's not what is actually said.

It seems the "true/false/not given" style sections are open to ambiguity and argument.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Do the speaking examiners/listening tape recordings have non native or strong regional accents?

What if your examiner has an accent that you struggle with?

That wouldn't be a true test of YOUR english.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

eurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to all

Safin,

I see what you mean, and I do understand that from this respect it may complicate things. But we have similar tests in NL for the language too. And one thing to keep in mind is: assumption is the mother of all ****. Meaning, if it is not in the text, you should disregard the knowledge.

I do not wish to start a discussion on IELTS being harder/unfair for native speakers, the test is difficult enough for both native and non-native speakers. And I can see how it frustrates people when the test needs to be redone, just to obtain a few missing points.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

I don't think there is any point point whatsoever to study beforehand. You're not gonna be able to change your writing style in a couple of weeks and it's gonna make you stress. I did hear before that the academic test is a bit harder but the questions are less ambiguous.
good luck to everyone, the IELTS test should in theory be the easy bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.