IELTS HELL!

Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

audrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really nice
Default IELTS HELL!

OH has just failed IELTS - again
How many times do you sit before you give up, he got a 9, 6.5, 6.5 last time and 9,6,6 this time, we are getting really disheartened now . its the reading and writing thats the nightmare, its all starting to get costly as we have to travel miles to sit the test plus accomodation. Ragin at the need for it, were british for gods sake, hes a more than competent engineer why are they making it so hard for people?
Any of you resat numerous times?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:04 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IELTS HELL!

Hi Audrey, my OH (German) resat twice if I remember correctly - he got 8.5 speaking and 7,6.5,6.5 or something like that for the rest, basically about half a point off getting the band 7 min across the board. Feel your pain.....it's expensive and stressful and at the end of the day you can start to feel like it's a bit of a money making scam - specially as it's only valid for 2 years! The worst is that each time he resat, his band in each bit (except speaking) went up a bit or down a bit, so it became almost like a lottery, cos just one bad questions could screw the whole thing, the listening being especially tough (I did some of the mock tests and wouldn't have got everything right, and am a native speaker myelf)...oo just the memory of how frustrated he was with it all makes me sad for him again! How many times do you resit before you give up? It was a lot of stress and so horrible for him, in the end we settled for making a sponsored application so we didn't need the band 7 points, cos otherwise it could have gone on forever missing a half point here or there each time. It was also very frustrating in that there is nothing terribly wrong with OH's english, he's lived and worked in English in UK for over 2 years with no issues, in fact he probably speaks, reads & writes better than a lot of natives
Best of luck to your OH, hope he's all done soon.
Pam
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

audrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really nice

But he is German so has good excuse: OH is British! I am to be honest bloody annoyed with OH as i told him to revise, he said you cant for this type of exam?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:24 pm

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Aww understand your frustration too as well as his but have to say don't be too hard on him cos he is right - there comes a point where you really can't revise, there is only so much you can do. It's not like you can learn a bunch of facts or info and then spit it all out on the day, that's the problem - you have to be able to construct and write short essays on given topics and stuff. Over a short period of time e.g. between resits, there isn't really anything you can do to improve your style and grammar, or your level of reading comprehension, cos that kind of thing comes with practice over time, imho. Looks like your OH is borderline in some sections, as was my OH, and we just came to conclusion that he wasn't going to make dramatic improvements over the space of a few months that would guarantee making the band required in all sections....so we called a halt on it, and went sponsored, for which not so many points are needed. Assuming we get this visa, we're considering him doing the IELTS again when we get over there, in anticipation of applying for PR & maybe needing the points again, cos we'll have passed another 'lose 5 points for your age' milestone, but at least then he'll be under less pressure cos we'll already be over there. Have you thought of other visa options or will your OH have another go?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

The 175 is what were paid up for, we did have a verbal job offer when we went to OZ in Oct, but that has been put on hold due to the Credit crunch, this would have got us over on the 475 i think it is,how do people go about sponsor visas, as we are getting OH cv bounced back all the time from agencys? baffled Och were just getting well fed up now, there is supposed to be a demand for experienced engineers, so whyu all the brick walls, beginning to think its not meant to be
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:43 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audrey426
The 175 is what were paid up for, we did have a verbal job offer when we went to OZ in Oct, but that has been put on hold due to the Credit crunch, this would have got us over on the 475 i think it is,how do people go about sponsor visas, as we are getting OH cv bounced back all the time from agencys? baffled Och were just getting well fed up now, there is supposed to be a demand for experienced engineers, so whyu all the brick walls, beginning to think its not meant to be
Just realised I'm prob gonna have to sit the IELTS even though I'm a teacher!!!! MORE MONEY! GRRR
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:48 pm

Do I detect a scottishness in that 'och'? We are in Glasgow enjoying the lovely 2C and falling temps. It really makes for a positive mood doesn't it Employer sponsored 457 I don't know anything about, I think that's the one you mean, our app is for 475 which is state sponsored, no employer required just commitment to live and work in state for specified period & in specified area. Don't give up Audrey, you will find a way!! So sorry to hear anyone so down with this visa thing, it's such a difficult journey, I do feel for you in this downer moment. It has taken us more than 2 years to get to this point, many setbacks and upsets, much jumping thru hoops, lots of tears (including over IELTS tho that was me not OH which was a bit daft I admit ) Don't lose faith, if you want it enough you'll find a way. I wish you all the best in your visa journey
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sparky Making will become famous soon enoughSparky Making will become famous soon enough

Hiya

My husband found this stressful too. Again it was the reading and listening one I think. He passed on his 2nd or 3rd time, not sure now. He got a book from Waterstones with a CD in with past IELTS exams or examples of questions on and practiced a lot.

If anyone wants this book would be happy to post it to them. Just send me a PM with your details.

Good luck. It is not an easy exam to get 7 in all sections at once.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Yes near Inverness! The goverment sponsor one, agent thought may have thrown us a lifeline, but apparently as OH is going under a Technical title?? too hard to explain and just plain BORING now! it was the only one that was not on list for the suggested Adelaide area , the job offer (Brisbane) may still come as the company was keen, but you could go on for ever with the IELTS, and we really have to get cracking , cause i bet the next thing is going to be a cut in skills visa announcement this year!
Plus cant sell house..............
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Yes near Inverness! The goverment sponsor one, agent thought may have thrown us a lifeline, but apparently as OH is going under a Technical title?? too hard to explain and just plain BORING now! it was the only one that was not on list for the suggested Adelaide area , the job offer (Brisbane) may still come as the company was keen, but you could go on for ever with the IELTS, and we really have to get cracking , cause i bet the next thing is going to be a cut in skills visa announcement this year!
Plus cant sell house..............
Hiya Audrey - oh I feel for you - it must be really frustrating grrrr eh!!! Your hubbie can revise for it, I just practiced and practiced the reading section - there is a technique to what they want, if he practices enough he will spot it. It isnt easy - I so thought I failed, as soon as I came out of the test centre I made my OH take me to the pub so that I could drown my sorrows with a pint of cider and black!!! Its so bleeding expensive, theres stuff on the net - you just have to trawl for it. I've also get a book with a CD that someone on here kindly gave me - so I will pass it on to whoever wants it (I have highlighted a few bits in it though) just let me know if you want it.
Emma
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Morko is on a distinguished road

I sat the test several times to get my score for Nurse assessment^^. The thing that helped me very much was www.writefix.com.

Cheers,

Morko
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

danbradb1987 will become famous soon enoughdanbradb1987 will become famous soon enough

OH has just failed IELTS - again
How many times do you sit before you give up, he got a 9, 6.5, 6.5 last time and 9,6,6 this time, we are getting really disheartened now . its the reading and writing thats the nightmare, its all starting to get costly as we have to travel miles to sit the test plus accomodation. Ragin at the need for it, were british for gods sake, hes a more than competent engineer why are they making it so hard for people?
Any of you resat numerous times?
ye me too just failed 9 8 6.5 and a rubbish 4.5 how bad is that considering i have recently graduated with my second degree.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danbradb1987
ye me too just failed 9 8 6.5 and a rubbish 4.5 how bad is that considering i have recently graduated with my second degree.

Hi Audrey

Queensland are about to announce criteria on their website for 500 places for State Sponsorship (176) for applicants whose assessed occupation is not on their 176 list. WA are already considering "off-list" occupations. I have recently got two Sydney Accord Engineering Technologists approved for 176 with WA. So hopefully you will have options should the IELTS not come off.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

s4nju is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds hard. got my test 21st feb
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

We will try to resit - again on the 21st if we can get a place, confused re 176, how does this work, does that mean you would go over there without a job?
Sorry, bit thick as regards to all this. This is what the agent was saying to me the other day re openings with the 176 in adelaide then said oh he isnt on the list for his skills I didnt ask him to elaborate as he rattles on at the rate of noughts and abrupt like (an ozzy) like i should know all this, at the same time letting me know his time costs money!! Well hes had his money already, and ive no VISA aaargh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.