Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

I have an aunt and uncle in oz - will that help?

I have an aunt and uncle in oz - will that help?

Old May 5th 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default I have an aunt and uncle in oz - will that help?

Hi, I'm not looking at applying just yet (hopefully in a year or 2).

But I have an aunt and uncle in australia (they've been there about 18 years), in perth.

I was initially going to go the skilled migrant route for 120 points but would just scrape the points (in about 3 years time anyhow). I get enough points through the skilled migrant sponsor visa, but was wondering what implications it would have?

I doubt it is as straightforward as it looks (never is), but we were hoping to go to Queensland rather than perth, although I will compromise. Would my aunt have to make any risks/financial commitments etc?

Plus I'm self employed and was hoping to continue my business over there - would I have to stop and work for someone else?

Any advice would be gratefully received. I am planning on applying through an agent (not decided on one though yet), so if any agents are here feel free to PM me if you'd prefer to rather than post.

Thanks everyone
Old May 5th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice
Default Re: I have an aunt and uncle in oz - will that help?

the now 176 was the 138 before... i applied for the 138 by reading the info on DIAC's site, and booklet 6 THOROUGHLY... if you meet all the requirements, then there shouldn't be a problem...

as for your sponsor, well yes, they do have to sign that they will help you if you find yourself in financial/housing difficulties. but that's about it.

on DIAC's site you have a points test calculator, obligations, requirements etc.

as i said, i followed those to the very last point, and i got my visa... good luck
Old May 6th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I have an aunt and uncle in oz - will that help?

Hi, thanks for the help. I did the points test and came up with 105 (assuming I get the full points on the English test), I won't get the points for work experience as I've only been employed for 12 months at the moment, but I might be having another baby so it will have to wait anyhow.

I know every case is different but how long did it take for your visa to come through?

Thanks,