How many self-employed builders GOT IT??

Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:09 am
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light
Smile How many self-employed builders GOT IT??

Would love to hear any successful and unsuccessful stories regarding your applications! Have heard applying as a self-employed tradesman could be a nightmare, true or not?

can anyone tell me whether reference letters from private individuals would be of any help with your application or not (with TRA)?

Cheers
Old Jul 29th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many self-employed builders GOT IT??

Originally Posted by kch
Would love to hear any successful and unsuccessful stories regarding your applications! Have heard applying as a self-employed tradesman could be a nightmare, true or not?

can anyone tell me whether reference letters from private individuals would be of any help with your application or not (with TRA)?

Cheers
Loads of brickies have got it - altho we've only just sent off our TRA stuff to agent. As much info as you can give TRA is best so, yes, ref letters from individuals (if you can get them !) would be good idea as long as they are detailed.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:46 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kch

Cheers
Hubby a 'builder' but we applied as 'bricklayer'.
Didn't have any paper qualifications so had to get references from company he did training with (luckily they were in yellow pages still and quite willing to help!) Then got refs from all other employers and private clients who he's done work for while self employed. Plus last 4 years business accounts and letter from accountant and inland revenue.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: How many self-employed builders GOT IT??

Originally Posted by kch

Cheers
hi guys,
we began the immigration process back in march 2003, we arrived here march 2005, my hubbie was a self employed brickie back in the uk. he finished his apprenticeship back in '93, the recession hit and he didnt work properly as a brickie for many years, he did the odd fiddle but that was it!
when we decided to go for it, he became a S E brickie full time. he got refs off every person he ever did ANY work for. to be honest with you i wrote every single reference out myself and just got the people to sign it, which most of them were more than happy to do.
even down to the company he did his apprenticeship with, i gave them a rough draft of the sort of reference that was needed and the secretary just copied my work adding a few big words here and there and doing it on headed paper she even thanked me cos it saved her time!
so all i can say is with the tra the more you can add the better for you!
if i can be of any further help just email me!
goodluck!
Old Jul 30th 2005, 11:00 am
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: How many self-employed builders GOT IT??

Many thanks for all your reponses, all info are gratefully received! May need more help from you guys when we come to writing those ref. out, if you don't mind.

Hiya Carloybateman, is your hubby doing the same old trade in Melbourne? Wondering whether all builders need licences to work in their trades?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 12:53 pm
off to Byron Bay....

loidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kch
Many thanks for all your reponses, all info are gratefully received! May need more help from you guys when we come to writing those ref. out, if you don't mind.

Hiya Carloybateman, is your hubby doing the same old trade in Melbourne? Wondering whether all builders need licences to work in their trades?

Thanks again.
hi, we're in final stages of visa process (allegedly) and hubbie has applied as a joiner. if you're interested, though it would be slightly different as a builder i could email you our stat dec (as he too is self employed) and any other stuff i can find that we sent to tra. though it is a real hassle and took us months to get everything, the more you can get the better and after tra have said yes keep track of everything as you go as we were asked for loads more evidence of self employment when med requests were asked for (though this could be because we are pre july 04 apps and everything was probably moth bitten by the time they looked at it!) good luck x loidy
Old Jul 31st 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kch

Thanks again.
hya back kch,
yes hubby is doing same trade in melbourne, they didnt even ask to see refs or proof of qualifications, they just gave him a days trial, realised he could do what he said he could do and gave him the job there and then!