Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

How long must can i be out of Australia to keep my residency?

How long must can i be out of Australia to keep my residency?

Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:29 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default How long can i be out of Australia to keep my residency?

Hi all,

Spent 3 years in Australia, 2 and a half years on sponsorship and 6 months on PR 175 visa. I returned to the uk in December due to personel reasons but im just wondering how long i can stay here before i must return to keep my residency?
Thanks

Last edited by stu:0; Mar 18th 2010 at 11:41 am.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

believer will become famous soon enoughbeliever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How long can i be out of Australia to keep my residency?

Originally Posted by stu:0
Hi all,

Spent 3 years in Australia, 2 and a half years on sponsorship and 6 months on PR 175 visa. I returned to the uk in December due to personel reasons but im just wondering how long i can stay here before i must return to keep my residency?
Thanks
have you looked at Resident Return Visa? I think you should have stayed in australia 2 years DURING the life (5 years) of your PR to be able to apply for RRV. It doesnt matter how long you stayed before you got PR for RRV.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:15 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long must can i be out of Australia to keep my residency?

I was under the understanding i had to do 2 years in total out of 5 years to be eligable for a resident return visa?? Was hoping someone could clarify this???
So is it looking like i have now blown my PR status??
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

I was under the understanding i had to do 2 years in total out of 5 years to be eligable for a resident return visa?? Was hoping someone could clarify this???
So is it looking like i have now blown my PR status??
exception could be granted if you have a job which requires you travelling outside australia regularly but you better contact IMMI directly to be sure.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Thanks
Maybe I am wrong and if I am we are stuffed. You have until the expiry date on your PR visa to return as you will have already validated it. Our visa expiry date is April 2012 so we need to get back before then or we will lose it.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about your type of visa but I havent lived in Australia for just over 10 years and I have renewed my RRV twice now.Just recently renewed it and it took 2 days!How quick is that!Sent it off to London on Thursday (12pm)and my passport with the new visa came back on the Saturday morning at 8.30am!!!It costs me £155.I do have aussie kids though,and they reckon they'll only renew them if you have compelling reasons,which I guess my reasons were!Good luck!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Not sure about your type of visa but I havent lived in Australia for just over 10 years and I have renewed my RRV twice now.Just recently renewed it and it took 2 days!How quick is that!Sent it off to London on Thursday (12pm)and my passport with the new visa came back on the Saturday morning at 8.30am!!!It costs me £155.I do have aussie kids though,and they reckon they'll only renew them if you have compelling reasons,which I guess my reasons were!Good luck!
That is interesting. What kind of substantial ties did you demonstrate (just asking out of curiosity).

Stu - from what you have said, I presume your visa must have been granted around the middle of last year? In which case there really is nothing to worry about for another four years, if you move back to Australia before then and put down some roots before applying for a RRV there should be no problem at all.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 5:06 pm
Banned

Shereen has a spectacular aura aboutShereen has a spectacular aura aboutShereen has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,

Thanks
You can apply for return residency visas as long as you live in Australia for two years out of total 5 yrs PR visa. But otherwise you may go for citizenship by coming back to AU this month, and living continuously for the coming 9 months.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That is interesting. What kind of substantial ties did you demonstrate (just asking out of curiosity).

Stu - from what you have said, I presume your visa must have been granted around the middle of last year? In which case there really is nothing to worry about for another four years, if you move back to Australia before then and put down some roots before applying for a RRV there should be no problem at all.
Well I had to submit info(names and address's)of my Mum,2 sisters,2 brothers and my son.I had spent 30 years in Australia all up,until I returned to the UK 10 years ago.I also told them I had my two aussie kids here,plus 2 grandchildren(uk)and that I was'nt ready to move back to Australia as yet(if ever)and yes it was really simple.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:41 pm
Sparky Stu

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Thanks for all the replys!

So as long as im back in Australia on the day of it been exactly 5 years im ok??
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replys!

So as long as im back in Australia on the day of it been exactly 5 years im ok??
I think you won't lose your permanent residence status if you remain IN Australia even after your PR visa expires, as long as you stay in Australia.
You would lose it when you stay outside of Australia AFTER your PR expires and have not managed to have RRV in time.
You can come and go anytime during those 5 years (of course, even the last valid day of your PR visa). For instance, you may come back to Australia the last valid day of your current PR visa , but in order to travel out of Australia again and then COME back, you will need RRV.
Simply way to look at it is you need a VALID visa to enter Australia. thats all. and RRV is one way to maintain your permanent residence status in case you need to travel out of australia.