How long before RRV?

Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:58 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light
Default How long before RRV?

Hi

I stayed in Australia 6 months after I got PR, then I returned home.

I plan to return 3-4 months before the visa expires.

Do I need to stay in Australia 18 months before I can apply for RRV or do I need to stay 2 years since it will have been more than 5 years since I got PR?

When I get RRV will I get 5 new years from the day I receive RRV or will they use the day I got PR?

To clarify what I mean:

I got PR in Dec 2004. Entered Australia in Jan 2005 and returned home July 2005. If I return Sep. 2009 and stay until March 2011 can I apply for PR or do I have to wait until Sep 2011?

Let's assume March 2011 is OK. If I apply for RRV March 2011 will it be valid until March 2016 or will they use the PR grant date and issue RRV, valid until Dec 2014.

Erik the Viking
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before RRV?

Originally Posted by The Norwegian
Hi

I stayed in Australia 6 months after I got PR, then I returned home.

I plan to return 3-4 months before the visa expires.

Do I need to stay in Australia 18 months before I can apply for RRV or do I need to stay 2 years since it will have been more than 5 years since I got PR?

When I get RRV will I get 5 new years from the day I receive RRV or will they use the day I got PR?

To clarify what I mean:

I got PR in Dec 2004. Entered Australia in Jan 2005 and returned home July 2005. If I return Sep. 2009 and stay until March 2011 can I apply for PR or do I have to wait until Sep 2011?

Let's assume March 2011 is OK. If I apply for RRV March 2011 will it be valid until March 2016 or will they use the PR grant date and issue RRV, valid until Dec 2014.

Erik the Viking

start by reading form 968i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

People who contemplate "pushing the envelope" like you appear to be doing often end up losing their PR in the end. And rules can always change.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:34 am
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
start by reading form 968i:

People who contemplate "pushing the envelope" like you appear to be doing often end up losing their PR in the end. And rules can always change.
As long as I know what the rules are I don't see why I should loose my PR. If they change I just have to adhere to the new rules.
Another issue is that I cannot keep moving between Norway and Australia every 5 year so this will probably be the only time I do this and then I either let my PR expire or move to Australia for a longer period.
If only Norway would allow dual citizenship!

Regarding my question it seems that since I spent the 6 months so early in my 5 years period I will have to stay for 2 years unless I move to Australia earlier. And the RRV is valid for 5 years after my 2 years period.

Erik the Viking
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:11 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

As long as I know what the rules are I don't see why I should loose my PR. If they change I just have to adhere to the new rules.
Another issue is that I cannot keep moving between Norway and Australia every 5 year so this will probably be the only time I do this and then I either let my PR expire or move to Australia for a longer period.
If only Norway would allow dual citizenship!

Regarding my question it seems that since I spent the 6 months so early in my 5 years period I will have to stay for 2 years unless I move to Australia earlier. And the RRV is valid for 5 years after my 2 years period.

Erik the Viking

I thought you had to stay in Australia for 2 years out of the 5 years of your visa. Do check because if this is the rule you will be 1 year and 2 months short of that.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:31 am
BuggerMan

Originally Posted by ub40fan
I thought you had to stay in Australia for 2 years out of the 5 years of your visa. Do check because if this is the rule you will be 1 year and 2 months short of that.
What you are thinking about is that I have to stay 2 years out of 5 to get RRV, but there is no rule stating that I cannot wait until 1 week before my PR expires and then move to Australia and live there forever. After 2 years I can apply for RRV and be able to leave Australia on holidays etc.

When I go to Australia I plan to stay there long enough to get a RRV. I was not sure if I had to stay there 2 years or 18 months. Seems if I want to arrive Sep. 2009 I will have to stay 2 years.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

What you are thinking about is that I have to stay 2 years out of 5 to get RRV, but there is no rule stating that I cannot wait until 1 week before my PR expires and then move to Australia and live there forever. After 2 years I can apply for RRV and be able to leave Australia on holidays etc.

When I go to Australia I plan to stay there long enough to get a RRV. I was not sure if I had to stay there 2 years or 18 months. Seems if I want to arrive Sep. 2009 I will have to stay 2 years.
Why wait a month before it expires just save yourself all the stress and move now and integrate into Australian society. I cant see why people wait until the last minute when you have spent so much money and time getting your PR i dont understand the logic.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:56 am
BuggerMan

Originally Posted by pomref
Why wait a month before it expires just save yourself all the stress and move now and integrate into Australian society. I cant see why people wait until the last minute when you have spent so much money and time getting your PR i dont understand the logic.

If it was up to me I would leave for OZ tomorrow. However, my wife is not so keen on the idea. She lived in Australia for 9 months and decided she wanted to return to Norway. She will not be returning with me to OZ for the RRV. Hopefully she will get it just because I got it. I hope she will change her mind in a few years time.

So you see this is a messy situation

We also bought a new house in Norway with a big mortgage and she will not sell the house to go to OZ. So I have to work and put some money aside until I can return to OZ. That is why I am planning on returning just before my visa expires.

Erik the Viking
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If it was up to me I would leave for OZ tomorrow. However, my wife is not so keen on the idea. She lived in Australia for 9 months and decided she wanted to return to Norway. She will not be returning with me to OZ for the RRV. Hopefully she will get it just because I got it. I hope she will change her mind in a few years time.

We also bought a new house in Norway with a big mortgage and she will not sell the house to go to OZ. So I have to work and put some money aside until I can return to OZ. That is why I am planning on returning just before my visa expires.

Erik the Viking

That must be an awful situation to be in. I hope it all works out for you
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a 2 year in 5 rule, however you can sometimes get a 5 year RRV with less time than this if you have "substantial ties" to Australia. In most cases, this means *living* in Australia.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

bipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to all

Erik the Viking
I am interested in this. I know what you talking about. It is not easy to move to Australia. People try to balance "the things". Especially it is very hard to move from EU (good wages, less stress, different style of living).
I have question considering RRV. Can I stay with my PR less then a year in AUS and would they issue me new one (I mean RRV) if I have a child who lives in AUS(also citizen). IN my opinion this should be sufficient strong ties with AUS.
Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bipsich
. it is very hard to move from EU (good wages, less stress, different style of living).
Thanks
Less stress in the EU I have to say I thought being Australian was no worries must be some of the most layed back people I ever meet.

I didnt think stress is an issue here.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 7:02 pm
BuggerMan

Originally Posted by pomref
Less stress in the EU I have to say I thought being Australian was no worries must be some of the most layed back people I ever meet.

I didnt think stress is an issue here.
Well, actually the aussies work quite long hours according to OECD. And the pay is quite bad. At least if you have a university degree.

Still I want to move there. I loved it when I lived there. Money is not everything. Now if I only could get my wife to come with me. Probably would have to earn enough money to support all of us and that means me working much more than I do here in Norway, which I am not interested in.

Erik the Viking
Old Jun 17th 2006, 9:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bipsich
I am interested in this. I know what you talking about. It is not easy to move to Australia. People try to balance "the things". Especially it is very hard to move from EU (good wages, less stress, different style of living).
I have question considering RRV. Can I stay with my PR less then a year in AUS and would they issue me new one (I mean RRV) if I have a child who lives in AUS(also citizen). IN my opinion this should be sufficient strong ties with AUS.
Thanks

See form 968i for an explanation of how an RRV can be given without meeting the 2/5 rule:

An Australian citizen dependent child is a strong "personal tie" to Australia. Anecdotally, in recent times the AHC London has been flexible on giving RRVs to those with Australian citizen *dependent* children, however other offices might be stricter and demand additional ties to Australia. London could always get stricter in future, and the rules themselves could change anytime.