Help with my mum at 64 years old

Old Feb 25th 2017, 8:07 pm
  #1  
ALG
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
ALG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with my mum at 64 years old

Hi all,

I need some advice after running in circles with different advice. I am in the process of applying for a 189 visa for WA and would love for my mum 64 years old, widow and me as only relative to come over to spend her remaining life with us and her granddaughter.

There is many visas which look like they could be an option, but not sure on which and medicare in relation to costs.

Basically i am trying to find a total cost of the visa, contributory options, medicare cost, timeframes and bond. The info i am finding seems to contradict agents email responses on the gov.au website.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy
ALG is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:06 pm
  #2  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,386
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

Originally Posted by ALG View Post
Hi all,

I need some advice after running in circles with different advice. I am in the process of applying for a 189 visa for WA and would love for my mum 64 years old, widow and me as only relative to come over to spend her remaining life with us and her granddaughter.

There is many visas which look like they could be an option, but not sure on which and medicare in relation to costs.

Basically i am trying to find a total cost of the visa, contributory options, medicare cost, timeframes and bond. The info i am finding seems to contradict agents email responses on the gov.au website.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy
Options at present would be very limited as you don't have a visa yourself yet. You would need to be settled in Australia on a PR visa in order for your mother to utilise the Parent Visa options. Settled generally means a couple of years here.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare

I will let someone with more knowledge than me go into the finer details, but you will be looking a good way ahead.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2017, 5:35 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,154
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

You need to be living in Australia for two years before you can sponsor a parent.

A contributory parent visa costs about $65,000 at present, but that will have risen by then and takes about 18 months to process.

Note, she would need to pass the medical.
verystormy is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2017, 10:44 am
  #4  
ALG
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
ALG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

Originally Posted by verystormy View Post
You need to be living in Australia for two years before you can sponsor a parent.

A contributory parent visa costs about $65,000 at present, but that will have risen by then and takes about 18 months to process.

Note, she would need to pass the medical.
Hi. Again a different figure than others I have been quoted. Where does this information come from? Thanks
ALG is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2017, 10:59 am
  #5  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

Originally Posted by ALG View Post
Hi. Again a different figure than others I have been quoted. Where does this information come from? Thanks
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/143-
Grayling is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:04 pm
  #6  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,386
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

Originally Posted by ALG View Post
Hi. Again a different figure than others I have been quoted. Where does this information come from? Thanks
Parent visas involve a multitude of figures and fees, and deending on where you look you will see them written indifferent ways. Some sources will quote a total for the CPV fee and the bond together, some will quote separately. Then the Non-contrib Parent Visa and the Aged Parent Visa are different again.

Grayling's link to the DIBP website is the best one to use as it is the official site. However, by the time you are settled and able to sponsor your mother the fees (and maybe even the visa types available) will have changed.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:39 pm
  #7  
ALG
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
ALG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Parent visas involve a multitude of figures and fees, and deending on where you look you will see them written indifferent ways. Some sources will quote a total for the CPV fee and the bond together, some will quote separately. Then the Non-contrib Parent Visa and the Aged Parent Visa are different again.

Grayling's link to the DIBP website is the best one to use as it is the official site. However, by the time you are settled and able to sponsor your mother the fees (and maybe even the visa types available) will have changed.
Very good point and thanks for the info. Best to just take the plunge and see where we go. Still can get her over as a visitor I suppose until times are right.
ALG is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:39 am
  #8  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,386
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

Originally Posted by ALG View Post
Very good point and thanks for the info. Best to just take the plunge and see where we go. Still can get her over as a visitor I suppose until times are right.
Yep, thats probably the way to go. There's no guarantee that she would be able to move over and join you, so make the decision about the rest of the family moving and then you would all have to look into the logistics of her moving later. Remember even if the actual visas don't change, she still has to pass a medical in order to get PR, and that can get harder as one gets older.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:53 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
rammygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,016
rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

I agree, proceed on the assumption you are migrating without her and she is unlikely to follow. If you cannot reconcile that then think again.

The two year period is a good thing, many people do not settle so you need to be sure before parents spend a fortune to follow you.

Longer visit visas are an option for parents, in any case she may not want to migrate or may not be able to afford to.
rammygirl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.