Best Route To Go Down?

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

N489 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Best Route To Go Down?

Hi All,

I would like to apply to move to Australia this year. I have done an online assessment which states that I would be eligible for a 190 and 489 state sponsored visa, and of course, the 417 Working Holiday Visa would be an option too.

I turn 28 this year and wary of years left to make this move. Which route would help me maximise my time in Australia? My plans are to do a bit of backpacking on the way to Australia but once I get there, I would like to get into a salaried job asap. Please find some additional info below...

Full Time Employed
Working in Fashion
28 years old
Fashion Buying BSc Hons Degree
Musically Educated with ABRSM
Financially Stable
Live in Manchester
Full Clean Drivers License
Youth Volunteer
Looking to move to Sydney or Melbourne
Visited Australia twice
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:30 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Route To Go Down?

For a 190 or even a 489 your job needs to be on the state's occupation list. Are any states currently sponsoring your job? What is your role, "working in fashion" could mean a myriad of things.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

I am a Fashion Publications Coordinator.
I didn't realise each state had a different list, I'll take a look!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N489
I am a Fashion Publications Coordinator.
I didn't realise each state had a different list, I'll take a look!
What is a fashion publications coordinator? What precisely is your job? I.e. a mechanic repairs and maintains vehicles. A hairdresser cuts, colours and styles hair. Etc.

Look at the DIBP website for the SOL and CSOL. If your job is on one of the lists then you can start looking at visaa. If not, then a working holiday for a year or 2 to backpack around is probably what you will qualify for.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:04 am
Just Joined

I think that's the issue. My role has a really unique title, I haven't come across it in the UK other than in my own company. However, my role is transferable in terms of skill.

This is just some of what I do...
Model Booking
Studio Coordinating
Fashion Shoot Scheduling
PA
Creative Team Booking (Photographers, Stylists, Art Directors etc)
Plus more...

Do you think it's worth it for me to check the DIBP and see if one of those other roles are on the list or does it have to be the role title I'm given?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N489
I think that's the issue. My role has a really unique title, I haven't come across it in the UK other than in my own company. However, my role is transferable in terms of skill.

This is just some of what I do...
Model Booking
Studio Coordinating
Fashion Shoot Scheduling
PA
Creative Team Booking (Photographers, Stylists, Art Directors etc)
Plus more...

Do you think it's worth it for me to check the DIBP and see if one of those other roles are on the list or does it have to be the role title I'm given?
Its the job description that will matter, not the title. You need to find a role that is on the list which has a skills assessment that you can pass. To pass the assessment you need to be performing the tasks that go with the role.

Don't bother asking DIBP, its not their job to advise you. If you can't find a role on the lists that has your job description try running it past a registered agent, they may be able to find something that works.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with Pollyanna.

The only thing I would add is that when you are looking at ANZSCO codes etc, don't think you can reach with those. The skills assessment is not a formality and the job description does have to be a close match. Sometimes, just to give an example (and I am exaggerating here but only partially so) people may get excited at seeing "teacher" on the list and think they may be able to qualify as one for migration, because they have experience working at a summer camp, tutoring after school, coaching a youth sport etc and they think they can massage their CV or wording of their job descriptions to match that. They cannot - the assessing authorities of the professions will have specific criteria of what they need to see to give you a positive skills assessment and that criteria is non-negotiable. Teacher means teacher, electrician means electrician etc.

So if you (or a MARA registered agent) cannot find a close match for your profession - working holiday is probably the option.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 12:42 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

It's also worth mentioning that Skills Assessment authorities (Vetassess in particular), can and do directly contact your employer - so it's not worth 'massaging' references to make them fit - Vetassess won't be fooled!

Regards,

Richard