Help Me Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:56 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help Me Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi.....
There is so much crap info being handed out by people that think they are in the know and decide to charge for it i don't know which way to turn.
Here is my query...
I'm a Kiwi living in the UK and have done for some time, my other haly (better half) is British as are her 3 kids and we have a 16 month old daughter together who is Kiwi by desent.
What is the best way of getting us all into Oz.....permanently....i'm a Fireman, Tracey is a nursing assistant at A&E and about to start her training. I want to sign up for the fire service there when we get there as it is my life and my dream....
Any help really will be greatly appreciated, quite possibly by me buying a beer for ya!!!
We're looking at more than likely Perth but an outside chance of Sydney

Many thanks in advance

Ali.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Me Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
I'm a Kiwi living in the UK and have done for some time, my other haly (better half) is British as are her 3 kids and we have a 16 month old daughter together who is Kiwi by desent.
What is the best way of getting us all into Oz.....permanently....i'm a Fireman, Tracey is a nursing assistant at A&E and about to start her training. I want to sign up for the fire service there when we get there as it is my life and my dream....
As a New Zealand citizen you can live and work freely in Australia, however since 2001 newly arrived NZ citizens cannot access many permanent residence or citizenship rights. You can no longer claim most welfare benefits (even after paying Australian taxes), sponsor relatives for permanent residence, or apply for Australian citizenship.
http://www.nz-oz.gov.au

You would need to apply for and obtain a permanent visa for this to work.

You and your daughter can have Special Category Visas, while you would have to sponsor your wife plus her kids for the NZ Family Relationship Visa, subclass 461.

The 461 visa is a 5 year visa, renewable however it has some significant disadvantages:
- no automatic access to Medicare and a requirement to keep up health insurance
- overseas student fees if you want to study (as far as I know)
- no access to Australian citizenship (ever)
- it leaves your family members in a tenuous position in Australia if you were to die, or indeed when your wife's children grow up (plus no right to go to NZ)

The 461 must be obtained before leaving the UK. The Special Category Visa can be obtained on arrival in Australia.

A few other thoughts to consider:
1. Has your wife got the right to remove her children from the UK?
2. Have you thought of moving to New Zealand instead, where your wife plus her kids will have full permanent resident rights and be able to become NZ citizens?
3. Have you got British citizenship yourself? If not, have you thought about naturalisation before you leave the UK?

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 29th 2005 at 12:07 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Cardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to all

Hey Al,

Your a fireman and your wife is a nurse...WOW so your like poster children for the blue collar professional generation

Hopefully you'll get some good advice on this board, it's an amazing source of advice and insperation.

Good luck fella.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:11 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
As a New Zealand citizen you can live and work freely in Australia, however since 2001 newly arrived NZ citizens cannot access many permanent residence or citizenship rights. You can no longer claim most welfare benefits (even after paying Australian taxes), sponsor relatives for permanent residence, or apply for Australian citizenship.
http://www.nz-oz.gov.au

You would need to apply for and obtain a permanent visa for this to work.

You and your daughter can have Special Category Visas, while you would have to sponsor your wife plus her kids for the NZ Family Relationship Visa, subclass 461.

The 461 visa is a 5 year visa, renewable however it has some significant disadvantages:
- no automatic access to Medicare and a requirement to keep up health insurance
- overseas student fees if you want to study (as far as I know)
- no access to Australian citizenship (ever)
- it leaves your family members in a tenuous position in Australia if you were to die, or indeed when your wife's children grow up (plus no right to go to NZ)

The 461 must be obtained before leaving the UK. The Special Category Visa can be obtained on arrival in Australia.

A few other thoughts to consider:
1. Has your wife got the right to remove her children from the UK?
2. Have you thought of moving to New Zealand instead, where your wife plus her kids will have full permanent resident rights and be able to become NZ citizens?
3. Have you got British citizenship yourself? If not, have you thought about naturalisation before you leave the UK?

Jeremy
Jeremy, thanks for that,
Is there anyway in which they can have a more secure and solid future there if something does happen to me, ie, PR where medicare etc is offered and citizenship after years of living there ?

Ali
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:15 pm
Who me ?

Originally Posted by Cardos
Hey Al,

Your a fireman and your wife is a nurse...WOW so your like poster children for the blue collar professional generation

Hopefully you'll get some good advice on this board, it's an amazing source of advice and insperation.

Good luck fella.

Nice one,
Thanks for that, we're a pretty mad couple what with our job's & both doing shiftwork but they are both our dream job's...just the final jigsaw piece of the dream which is us all to live in Oz......

Stuff this country and it's ridiculous way's of.....if you don't quite earn enough you're screwed or you've got loads, we're having some or, you're in debt and scum....here, have a free house and loads of money on us while everyone else pay's for it..... you try and better yourself and the life of your family and you get penalised for it..... i work all of my day's off as a painter & decorater just to give my kid's a few nice things but the government wants more & more of it !!

Big Al.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy, thanks for that,
Is there anyway in which they can have a more secure and solid future there if something does happen to me, ie, PR where medicare etc is offered and citizenship after years of living there ?

Ali

Only by qualifying for a permanent resident visa under normal rules. The migration booklet explains the visas available:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm

Fireman and nursing assistant are not on the Skilled Occupations List so that pretty much rules out the general skilled options (booklet 6) unless your wife studies to become a nurse in Australia.

The other option may be employer nomination if you can get an Australian fire service to hire you and sponsor for a permanent visa. This may be less difficult in regional Australia. Booklet 5 has details.

Jeremy
Old Dec 29th 2005, 2:36 pm
Jam

> > Jeremy, thanks for that,
    > > Is there anyway in which they can have a more secure and solid
    > > future
    > > there if something does happen to me, ie, PR where medicare etc is
    > > offered and citizenship after years of living there ?
    > > Ali
    > Only by qualifying for a permanent resident visa under normal rules.
    > The migration booklet explains the visas available:
    > http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm
    > Fireman and nursing assistant are not on the Skilled Occupations List
    > so
    > that pretty much rules out the general skilled options (booklet 6)
    > unless your wife studies to become a nurse in Australia.
    > The other option may be employer nomination if you can get an
    > Australian
    > fire service to hire you and sponsor for a permanent visa. This may
    > be less difficult in regional Australia. Booklet 5 has details.
    > Jeremy
    > --
    > This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any
    > jurisdiction

Hi Al,
I think most people wanting to migrate to Oz have the same sentiments
about this country and it's TAX LAWS, If you earn it the government
wants it, If you don't earn it the government gives it to you.
You are luckier than us British born passport holders who are trying to
escape to a better life. We have months and in some cases years to await
DIMIAs' decision to allow us to get in to Australia. Whereas you can
just hop on a plane to New Zealand anytime you want HOW LUCKY ARE YOU.
In my opinion, I would take my family over there get all their residency
sorted out and then apply for Australian residency from there.
When ever I tell anyone I am migrating to Oz they say I'm mad and I
should go to New Zealand. Maybe your better half and children will love
it there.
Unfortunately the lure of sunshine on the Brisbane coast becons me and
my better half.
Good Luck with all your future plans
Mandy:)

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com

Old Dec 29th 2005, 6:53 pm
Who me ?

Originally Posted by Jam
    > > Jeremy, thanks for that,
    > > Is there anyway in which they can have a more secure and solid
    > > future
    > > there if something does happen to me, ie, PR where medicare etc is
    > > offered and citizenship after years of living there ?
    > > Ali
    > Only by qualifying for a permanent resident visa under normal rules.
    > The migration booklet explains the visas available:
    > http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books_migrate.htm
    > Fireman and nursing assistant are not on the Skilled Occupations List
    > so
    > that pretty much rules out the general skilled options (booklet 6)
    > unless your wife studies to become a nurse in Australia.
    > The other option may be employer nomination if you can get an
    > Australian
    > fire service to hire you and sponsor for a permanent visa. This may
    > be less difficult in regional Australia. Booklet 5 has details.
    > Jeremy
    > --
    > This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any
    > jurisdiction

Hi Al,
I think most people wanting to migrate to Oz have the same sentiments
about this country and it's TAX LAWS, If you earn it the government
wants it, If you don't earn it the government gives it to you.
You are luckier than us British born passport holders who are trying to
escape to a better life. We have months and in some cases years to await
DIMIAs' decision to allow us to get in to Australia. Whereas you can
just hop on a plane to New Zealand anytime you want HOW LUCKY ARE YOU.
In my opinion, I would take my family over there get all their residency
sorted out and then apply for Australian residency from there.
When ever I tell anyone I am migrating to Oz they say I'm mad and I
should go to New Zealand. Maybe your better half and children will love
it there.
Unfortunately the lure of sunshine on the Brisbane coast becons me and
my better half.
Good Luck with all your future plans
Mandy

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com

Mandy,

Good points and the same sentiments !!!!!
Query, why is it that so many people are telling me to go to NZ first to sort out the families visa/residency for there before applying to Oz..... when they get their permanent residency visa's for NZ (which will be nice and easy) that doesn't give them the entitlement to have the same rights in Oz as i do...... .................................................. ......... OR AM I MISSING THE OINT COMPLETELY AND BEING A COMPLETE IDIOT HERE ?

So where do you hail from and why Brissie ?

Ali
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:21 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help Me Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mandy,

Query, why is it that so many people are telling me to go to NZ first to sort out the families visa/residency for there before applying to Oz..... when they get their permanent residency visa's for NZ (which will be nice and easy) that doesn't give them the entitlement to have the same rights in Oz as i do...... .................................................. ......... OR AM I MISSING THE OINT COMPLETELY AND BEING A COMPLETE IDIOT HERE ?

So where do you hail from and why Brissie ?

Ali
I guess they are going to do their years in NZ until they get NZ citizenship and then live in Oz.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

Mandy,

New Zealand permanent residence gives *no* rights in Australia (despite many myths to the contrary). New Zealand citizenship gives some rights, not as much as full PR in Australia.

It's now 5 years for NZ citizenship. Until April 2005 it was three years (and only two if married to a New Zealander). http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Jeremy