Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

health undertaking service for TB - anyone referred and what does it mean?

health undertaking service for TB - anyone referred and what does it mean?

Old May 9th 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

andysarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default health undertaking service for TB - anyone referred and what does it mean?

hi everyone,

have a query which i hope some one will be able to help me with.

we are in Oz and applying for ENS visa. Went for my medical and have received a letter referring me to the health undertaking service for TB testing. Now, this has come as a shock and am left wondering where this leaves us with our application.

I do have an abnormal x-ray due to a bad case of pneumonia last year. This was declared for our last visa and was passed through the radiologist, who provided the explanation, and then LCU with no probs. Partly expected xray to be queried then but since it wasn't put it out of my mind.

Now, after medical here, again declaring the info and showing letter from my old consultant regarding the pneumonia I have received this referral and need to attend the chest clinic as a suspected TB case. Have never had TB, have been immunised against it, and only have abnormal xray due to lung scarring after the pneumonia, which I have already demonstrated to them. My consultant had led me to believe that pneumonia scarring and old or active TB presents very differently on an xray so should be ok for immigration purposes. Also, at the time of having the xray done here the radiographer asked me if i had had a chest infection recently so again explained the pneumonia and showed him the letter from clinic. He said no problem, should be fine and said "they are only looking for TB so should be cool" and he made a note on the xray to say what the scarring related to. 2 days later the referral to the chest clinic arrived!

Am obviously really concerned now that this will affect our visa application and am wondering if anyone has experienced this and what does it mean in reality for our application?

many thanks
Old May 9th 2008, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health undertaking service for TB - anyone referred and what does it mean?

Originally Posted by andysarah
hi everyone,

we are in Oz and applying for ENS visa. Went for my medical and have received a letter referring me to the health undertaking service for TB testing. Now, this has come as a shock and am left wondering where this leaves us with our application.

I do have an abnormal x-ray due to a bad case of pneumonia last year. This was declared for our last visa and was passed through the radiologist, who provided the explanation, and then LCU with no probs. Partly expected xray to be queried then but since it wasn't put it out of my mind.

Now, after medical here, again declaring the info and showing letter from my old consultant regarding the pneumonia I have received this referral and need to attend the chest clinic as a suspected TB case. Have never had TB, have been immunised against it, and only have abnormal xray due to lung scarring after the pneumonia, which I have already demonstrated to them. My consultant had led me to believe that pneumonia scarring and old or active TB presents very differently on an xray so should be ok for immigration purposes. Also, at the time of having the xray done here the radiographer asked me if i had had a chest infection recently so again explained the pneumonia and showed him the letter from clinic. He said no problem, should be fine and said "they are only looking for TB so should be cool" and he made a note on the xray to say what the scarring related to. 2 days later the referral to the chest clinic arrived!

Am obviously really concerned now that this will affect our visa application and am wondering if anyone has experienced this and what does it mean in reality for our application?

many thanks
Sounds to me like they are wanting the pneumonia thing confirmed by the health centre? I know it's easier said than done, but I wouldn't worry too much about it as you haven't got any TB and it's more than likely to be them being overly cautious.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: health undertaking service for TB - anyone referred and what does it mean?

Originally Posted by andysarah
hi everyone,

many thanks
I'm not an expert but I'll tell you what happened to us(my wife), shouldn't be too much to worry about.

When we received our PR June last year my wife had to sign a medical undertaking in connection with TB. We were still given the visa but she had to report for an x-ray. We were confused as as far as we knew my wife had never had TB. When she went for the x-ray in Perth we asked and they said her pre-visa xray had shown minor TB scarring which they explained that she must have had a minor case but her immune system got rid of it without any obvious symptoms at the time.
All they wanted was another xray to confirm no difference or added scars to confirm there is no active TB and this was the case. My wife has one more check up coming this month(6 months after arrival) as a precaution and then they will probably close her file and no further visits will be required.

I assume that in your case they will just check for themselves and then all will be fine.

Good luck

Bruce