GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY?

Old May 10th 2008, 7:39 am
Just Joined

munchkin777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY?

Could anyone please help with some advice?
i have been offered a great job in oz, for myself and my partner, to go in on the 357 visa, but on the immigration application it asks you for any convictions, 22 years ago, like an idiot, i mixed with a bad crowd and stole a car stereo, thankfully i got caught and was sentenced to community service, i am ashamed to admit this as it is the only thing i have done wrong in all my life,, i was 18 at the time and a total idiot, i am petrified that this will affect my visa application, and although close friends and family have advised me not to declare it, as it is a spent conviction under english law, i am still terrified if i declare it, it may ruin my chances of my visa being agreed, ive done nothing else wrong in the last 22 years but still worry this will come back to haunt me, i would be very thankfull if anyone could give me any information or advice on what i should do now on my application form as this is really worrying for me.
many thanks for anyone who reads this,
Old May 10th 2008, 7:50 am
Just Joined

crystal-gaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY?

Hi

If I was you I would declare it, from reading posts & speaking to migration agents EVERYTHING is dragged up including cautions by the Police. My OH was a bit of a bad boy when young too. But from my understanding it is better to declare everything than them discover them, this could through dishonesty into the bag, it was also a long time ago. We was also advised by the actual Australian Commission are more concerned with people who have serves actual custodial sentences.

We are using Thinkinging Australia to migrate & he advised us he has got people in with ABH etc as long as not custodial!!

Good Luck

Crystal
Old May 10th 2008, 7:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by munchkin777
i have been offered a great job in oz, for myself and my partner, to go in on the 357 visa, but on the immigration application it asks you for any convictions, 22 years ago, like an idiot, i mixed with a bad crowd and stole a car stereo, thankfully i got caught and was sentenced to community service, i am ashamed to admit this as it is the only thing i have done wrong in all my life,, i was 18 at the time and a total idiot, i am petrified that this will affect my visa application, and although close friends and family have advised me not to declare it, as it is a spent conviction under english law, i am still terrified if i declare it, it may ruin my chances of my visa being agreed, ive done nothing else wrong in the last 22 years but still worry this will come back to haunt me, i would be very thankfull if anyone could give me any information or advice on what i should do now on my application form as this is really worrying for me.
You MUST declare it. If you don't declare it you are making a false declaration, tantamout to visa fraud. "Spent " for normal purposes doesn't apply here, they ask if you have ANY convictions, and you must declare everything.
However, its not likely to stop you getting a visa. Write a statement explaining the circumstances and the fact you are a reformed character, learnt your lesson etc, and they make ask you for character references so think of people who are "pillars of society" - headteacher, solicitors etc that could vouch for your character.

If you search the forum for "convictions" yhou'll soon see that you are not alone, honesty is the best policy and there are people out there applying with far worse pasts than yours, so take heart
Old May 10th 2008, 7:59 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Convictions are classed as 'spent' after 10 years in the UK, but not for immigration purposes.

I think it's the people who don't declare convictions and then receive a police report listing previous convictions that need to be worried.
Old May 10th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

You have to declare it and I wouldn't worry, my OH got a conviction for something stupid 18 years ago and got a £50 fine from the magistrates (although not for nicking a car stereo )so you are certainly not alone for once being young and daft.

My OH laughs about it and points out the irony that at one time a conviction was your sure fire ticket into Oz
Old May 10th 2008, 1:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1967
Convictions are classed as 'spent' after 10 years in the UK,

Some convictions are spent sooner than that, others are never spent.
Old May 10th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Smile Re: GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY?

you have to declare as it will appear on your police checks.

My husband was in a stolen car (he didn't steal it) when he was 17 and got community service, Out case officor has requested new police checks (prob to see if there's anything else on there) and were seeing a solicitor on monday to have a statutory declration drafted to explain the night events and that he's sorry and will never offend again.

he's now 36 and never done anything else since !!!!

So If you dont declare it it will show up and then they'll just think you were hiding it
Old May 10th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

toan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to all

declare it,you will have no worries,but will probably have to get character ref....as i had too
Old May 10th 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

many thanks for all the replies, and all the people that took the time to read my post,, ive been as worried as hell over it so thanks for putting my mind at rest,

thanks once again
Old May 10th 2008, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

and just to say,, for the couple of people that sent a "private reply" i cant actually access them till ive had 3 posts, it looks like thats the rules here but, thanks anyway, even though i cannot access them,
Old May 10th 2008, 9:33 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wishing you all the best with your application.
If you reply to this, you'll have 4 posts and can access that pm
J x
Old May 10th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Hi, I would personally admit to the offence but tell them the truth, that you were young and stupid and have not done anything else like that since or will do again.

It is best to be honest as it may come back to haunt you.

Kind regards and good luck.

Lou xx
Old May 12th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

gormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nice

take it from me mate declare it i was in the same boat as you if they find out you will get the boot what you have todo is get 2 or3 good refrences from people in trusted positions put them in withyour appll you will be fine ihad a couple of cons against me from a long time ago and the wife and i fly to OZ 25 th May Good Luck
Old May 12th 2008, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

I just wanted to express my thanks to everyone who replied and helped put my mind at rest, even the immigration agent has now suggested it should not be a problem but i wanted to be honest rather than try and hide it, even though i am deeply ashamed i ever did the crime in the first place,, in a weird way i feel i was lucky to get caught, because i believe i have turned out a better person from the experience and learned a valuable lesson from it, this was my first post on this website and am sure i will be using it again, it seems like a great site, i am just dissapointed in myself it had to be about something so stupid that i did, but anyway, a big thanks once again for all the helpful advice you all gave me.
Thanks