gte assesment for student visa

Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gte assesment for student visa

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Although I agree with the sentiment, OUCH! Manners cost nothing.
Originally Posted by joojay
They're free, but not as fun as insulting others and their intelligence
This "Presumably you have done IELTS before you got your first student visa, so must have some English comprehension." actually implies the same "sentiment" you deemed WRONG ...

Anyways, unsubscribing now
And people have been asked again and again that if they have a problem with a post to take it to PM and NOT start complaining about other peoples posts on public forum, especially they are not adding anything to the advice given. This is especially relevant in the Immigration Forum. If you don't have pertinent information, stay away from a thread.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

The course providers were advertising jobs as specifically being a route to pr. And I am talking tafes as well as private institutions. Immigration knew this was happening for a long time, and as I said, they even sent out an official to my tafe to talk us through how to get pr.
I remember watching an interview with a lady from SA immigration before I came over saying how much they wanted students to come over, and to stay at the end of their course. They said they wanted young student age people who would come to SA and have Australian babies lol. I do remember thinking that part was funny.

Anyway, my point is, there was a 'your course is not a guarantee of pr etc' bit added on, but students were still encouraged with the lure of pr. Immigration could have clamped down on it YEARS before if they didn't want that. But the opposite was true, until Julia gillard came along, immigration were encouraging people to apply for pr. It was not some underhand way of getting in the country, it was advertised as a way to pr! That is why the numbers of people were so high.
I know this has been discussed before, but student to PR was actively being encouraged at least back in 2006 when my family member came as a student. As PB says, no questions were asked at that time, and when because of a major stuff up by an immigration agent, the only way he could stay in Oz was by re-newing his student visa and continuing to study here, again absolutely no questions were asked. So it's just possible that this is the first time the poster, (who possibly has been here since 2008) has been asked any questions, and although they appear straight forward, was really only asking help to ensure the correct answers.
Yes the system was open to abuse, and abused, but surely that was the fault of the system, and yes it's right that the loopholes have now been closed.
I think education was about the 3rd largest source of income for Oz previously, and there are now big concerns that the income from International students has dropped so low because of the changes.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:56 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

The course providers were advertising jobs as specifically being a route to pr. And I am talking tafes as well as private institutions. Immigration knew this was happening for a long time, and as I said, they even sent out an official to my tafe to talk us through how to get pr.
I remember watching an interview with a lady from SA immigration before I came over saying how much they wanted students to come over, and to stay at the end of their course. They said they wanted young student age people who would come to SA and have Australian babies lol. I do remember thinking that part was funny.

Anyway, my point is, there was a 'your course is not a guarantee of pr etc' bit added on, but students were still encouraged with the lure of pr. Immigration could have clamped down on it YEARS before if they didn't want that. But the opposite was true, until Julia gillard came along, immigration were encouraging people to apply for pr. It was not some underhand way of getting in the country, it was advertised as a way to pr! That is why the numbers of people were so high.
I'm not denying that people were undoubtedly advertising their courses as such, and DIAC obviously knew - or they wouldn't have had the sense to change it. Although I don't think DIAC were encouraging it so much, more just allowing it. Student visas aren't meant to be an easy route to PR by avoiding GSM. It was an underhanded way of getting into the country. How many would have been able to get in using GSM?

Originally Posted by tomar
I know this has been discussed before, but student to PR was actively being encouraged at least back in 2006 when my family member came as a student. As PB says, no questions were asked at that time, and when because of a major stuff up by an immigration agent, the only way he could stay in Oz was by re-newing his student visa and continuing to study here, again absolutely no questions were asked. So it's just possible that this is the first time the poster, (who possibly has been here since 2008) has been asked any questions, and although they appear straight forward, was really only asking help to ensure the correct answers.
Yes the system was open to abuse, and abused, but surely that was the fault of the system, and yes it's right that the loopholes have now been closed.
I think education was about the 3rd largest source of income for Oz previously, and there are now big concerns that the income from International students has dropped so low because of the changes.
'Fault of the system' is a handy way of relieving people of responsibilities. The jumping state on a 176 is legal, but it doesn't make it right. People have minds. They are perfectly capable of making decisions, and more specifically deciding right from wrong. It's pretty sad that it's necessary for the state to have to forcibly make people choose the route that doesn't abuse the system (by closing any loopholes). I'm quite glad they've closed the loopholes, since there are always people who seem to be willing to exploit them to the detriment of others.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

joojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to all

I dont know about you, but when the eligibility of applying for PR visa includes Recent Employment OR Australian study, I take it as knowing, accepting AND encouraging students to apply for PR after Visa... thus encouraging them to apply for studies in the first place. I dont know how they deny it when it is so clear
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:10 am

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know about you, but when the eligibility of applying for PR visa includes Recent Employment OR Australian study, I take it as knowing, accepting AND encouraging students to apply for PR after Visa... thus encouraging them to apply for studies in the first place. I dont know how they deny it when it is so clear
How do you see that as encouragement? It is purely asking for recent employment or Australian study.

Plus, you only get five points for Australian study now. Whereas you can get up to fifteen points for work experience. Hardly a huge encouragement for students to stay, is it?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It USED to be. Previously you could study a trade, do 900 hours of work experience and immigration would wave the restrictions that other people had. This was because us students bought in lots of money AND jobs for Australians. If that wasn't immigration encouraging student visa to pr I have no idea what would be.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:21 am

It USED to be. Previously you could study a trade, do 900 hours of work experience and immigration would wave the restrictions that other people had. This was because us students bought in lots of money AND jobs for Australians. If that wasn't immigration encouraging student visa to pr I have no idea what would be.
Well, clearly it was abused far too often. Otherwise it wouldn't have been dealt with. As was addressed in the recent presentation.