gte assesment for student visa

Old Mar 16th 2012, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

aminsagar123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gte assesment for student visa

I recently applied for student visa extension in a new course and been asked by the case officer for the following.

Please provide a statement setting out your reasons for undertaking the course of study specified in your application.

The statement should set out:

· your reasons for choosing to undertake the course of study specified in your application
· your reasons for choosing your education provider
· your reasons for choosing to study in Australia rather than in your home country
· your planned living arrangements in Australia
· the relevance of your course of studies to your academic and/or employment background
· the relevance of the course to your future career/educational plans

Evidence of significant ties to your home country
Please provide evidence of your ties to your home country that shows that you would have significant incentive to return home at the end of your stay in Australia. This may include evidence of financial, family or social ties.

anybody have any idea what proofs i can provide. btw i am from india.

any replies appreciated.

thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 6:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gte assesment for student visa

Originally Posted by aminsagar123
I recently applied for student visa extension in a new course and been asked by the case officer for the following.

Please provide a statement setting out your reasons for undertaking the course of study specified in your application.

The statement should set out:

· your reasons for choosing to undertake the course of study specified in your application
· your reasons for choosing your education provider
· your reasons for choosing to study in Australia rather than in your home country
· your planned living arrangements in Australia
· the relevance of your course of studies to your academic and/or employment background
· the relevance of the course to your future career/educational plans

Evidence of significant ties to your home country
Please provide evidence of your ties to your home country that shows that you would have significant incentive to return home at the end of your stay in Australia. This may include evidence of financial, family or social ties.

anybody have any idea what proofs i can provide. btw i am from india.

any replies appreciated.

thanks.
What exactly is unclear in the CO's email? He/she has already said what you need to submit.

Presumably you have done IELTS before you got your first student visa, so must have some English comprehension.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What exactly is unclear in the CO's email? He/she has already said what you need to submit.

Presumably you have done IELTS before you got your first student visa, so must have some English comprehension.
Although I agree with the sentiment, OUCH! Manners cost nothing.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

joojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
They're free, but not as fun as insulting others and their intelligence
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:58 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a valid point, and not particularly rude. Now, if she'd said "learn to read before asking daft questions", that would have been rude. However, she didn't, so it wasn't.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

joojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
It was a valid point, and not particularly rude. Now, if she'd said "learn to read before asking daft questions", that would have been rude. However, she didn't, so it wasn't.
This "Presumably you have done IELTS before you got your first student visa, so must have some English comprehension." actually implies the same "sentiment" you deemed WRONG ...

Anyways, unsubscribing now
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:25 am

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joojay
This "Presumably you have done IELTS before you got your first student visa, so must have some English comprehension." actually implies the same "sentiment" you deemed WRONG ...

Anyways, unsubscribing now
You seemed to have missed the fact that it was a valid point. Many times on here, it is a simple case of the information hasn't been read properly. If someone has done IELTS, it is reasonable to assume that they at least had enough comprehension to pass said test. In which case, the comprehension here shouldn't be an issue.

Whether you like it or not, the e-mail that the OP received is not unclear. It is straightforward in the fact that it is actually saying what needs to be included in the statement! Where is the confusion there?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
You seemed to have missed the fact that it was a valid point. Many times on here, it is a simple case of the information hasn't been read properly. If someone has done IELTS, it is reasonable to assume that they at least had enough comprehension to pass said test. In which case, the comprehension here shouldn't be an issue.

Whether you like it or not, the e-mail that the OP received is not unclear. It is straightforward in the fact that it is actually saying what needs to be included in the statement! Where is the confusion there?
Not being a great expert on student visas, the information required does seem pretty straightforward, and its very clear what is being requested. What is puzzling me is that the OP says he/she is asking for an extension to a student visa. So, as its obviously not a new visa, would the OP not have been asked much the same questions for the original visa?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not being a great expert on student visas, the information required does seem pretty straightforward, and its very clear what is being requested. What is puzzling me is that the OP says he/she is asking for an extension to a student visa. So, as its obviously not a new visa, would the OP not have been asked much the same questions for the original visa?
I would have thought so too.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I am guessing this is new. I was never asked for any of that when I applied for mine, and this is the first time I have read about someone else being asked it.
Back when I applied tafe were advertising my course as a route to pr. Obviously this has all changed now, and they don't seem to want it to change back.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:47 am

I am guessing this is new. I was never asked for any of that when I applied for mine, and this is the first time I have read about someone else being asked it.
Back when I applied tafe were advertising my course as a route to pr. Obviously this has all changed now, and they don't seem to want it to change back.
They've really clamped down on student over the last couple of years or so to reinforce that student visas are meant to be temporary. The route had been abused by people trying to get PR.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't see how anyone was abusing it. We even had a woman from immigration come in and give a talk to all the classes at my tafe about the right visas to apply for at the end of the course to make sure you got pr!!

Their priorities may have changed now, but back before two years ago they wanted people coming in on student visas, paying lots for the courses, bringing in their money from their home land and creating more jobs for people already here. I know lots of tafe lecturers who do not have work now that the amount of students has plummeted.
Nobody was abusing the system, it was symbiotic!
Old Mar 17th 2012, 12:27 pm

I don't see how anyone was abusing it. We even had a woman from immigration come in and give a talk to all the classes at my tafe about the right visas to apply for at the end of the course to make sure you got pr!!

Their priorities may have changed now, but back before two years ago they wanted people coming in on student visas, paying lots for the courses, bringing in their money from their home land and creating more jobs for people already here. I know lots of tafe lecturers who do not have work now that the amount of students has plummeted.
Nobody was abusing the system, it was symbiotic!
It was because people weren't going home at the end of their courses. People were coming in on relatively insignificant courses, and staying. Hence they clamped down. Interestingly enough, this has been mentioned in Kruno Kukoc's recent presentation on the migration program.

Here's the relevant excerpt:

As most of you would be aware, the period preceding reforms to GSM
was characterised by a spike in the number of international students
coming to Australia. This growth was sudden and unusual. It was partly
driven by incentives provided within our migration settings rather than
the benefits of study in Australia.

Specifically, the generous concessionary points afforded for onshore
study under the Points Test, and the expansion of the Skilled
Occupation List to include ‘easy to obtain’ courses, provided an easy
pathway to permanent residence.

These policy settings led to a situation where many international
students were coming to Australia, and basing their course of study, with
a view only of achieving an immigration outcome.

Eventually the number of international students in Australia with
expectations of a permanent residence outcome completely
overwhelmed the capacity of our capped annual permanent migration
program.

The integrity to our skilled migration program was restored by breaking
the automatic nexus between study and permanent residence. With
non-educational pull factors removed, the number of non-genuine
students fell.

None of this detracts from the fact that under our new student visa and
skilled migration arrangements there may be a possible (and wholly
positive) immigration outcome following genuine study. But such an
outcome is certainly not guaranteed and will be driven by genuine labour
market needs. Therefore the principal reason for entry on a student visa
has to be for study.

Recent reforms under the Knight Review, such as the introduction of a
Genuine Temporary Entrant criterion, reinforce these important integrity
measures.
People may not have thought it was being abused, but it was. So they clamped down, to the detriment of genuine applicants.

Last edited by mrsgreenstar76; Mar 17th 2012 at 12:31 pm. Reason: Removing superfluous word.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

The course providers were advertising jobs as specifically being a route to pr. And I am talking tafes as well as private institutions. Immigration knew this was happening for a long time, and as I said, they even sent out an official to my tafe to talk us through how to get pr.
I remember watching an interview with a lady from SA immigration before I came over saying how much they wanted students to come over, and to stay at the end of their course. They said they wanted young student age people who would come to SA and have Australian babies lol. I do remember thinking that part was funny.

Anyway, my point is, there was a 'your course is not a guarantee of pr etc' bit added on, but students were still encouraged with the lure of pr. Immigration could have clamped down on it YEARS before if they didn't want that. But the opposite was true, until Julia gillard came along, immigration were encouraging people to apply for pr. It was not some underhand way of getting in the country, it was advertised as a way to pr! That is why the numbers of people were so high.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I honestly didn't know, but I have to admit they seem pretty standard questions to ask someone coming on a student (and thus temporary) visa. They don't seem particularly complex and I would be worried if someone who wants to study in Australia can't understand them enough to reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.