Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Going on Working holiday while waiting for 457

Going on Working holiday while waiting for 457

Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

jennireren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going on Working holiday while waiting for 457

Hi,

I've tried searching for a thread on this as it's probably been asked before but couldn't find one.

My husband is getting sponsored and we are waiting on the company lodging their application for business approval & nomination then we can lodge ours. They are hoping to lodges theirs next week. Our dilema is that my husbands firm here are making redunancies in two weeks. he's been with them for 10 years so should get a good redunancy package so if was made redunant we don't see the point in hanging around here with him being out of a job.

We are both under 30 and have no kids so would it be an option for us to go to oz on a WHV while waiting on the 457?

any advice would be great.

Thanks

Jennie
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going on Working holiday while waiting for 457

Sounds like a plan. Some visas I think cancel out others, not sure if the holiday visa would cancel out the 457 visa if it were to be granted first. WHV are pretty quick though, so maybe you could apply for that quick smart. He could then start working for that company as soon as he got out there if he wanted.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

457s can be granted pretty quickly (within a couple of weeks -- tho can also take longer) Ours took less than 8 weeks to process but have also heard of someone whose took less than 2 weeks. Could be quicker to get a 457 than to wait for WHV????
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Sounds like a plan. Some visas I think cancel out others, not sure if the holiday visa would cancel out the 457 visa if it were to be granted first. WHV are pretty quick though, so maybe you could apply for that quick smart. He could then start working for that company as soon as he got out there if he wanted.
Thanks Pumpkinblossom,

I think a WHV can be granted in 48 so I don't think we'd need to worry about it cancelling the 457. I'm just not sure what way immigration would look at it for us coming into the country on a WHV. Anyone done this before and it worked out?

Does anyone know if we were able to come on a WHV would we then have to leave the country for the 457 visa to be granted?

Jen
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennireren
Thanks Pumpkinblossom,

I think a WHV can be granted in 48 so I don't think we'd need to worry about it cancelling the 457. I'm just not sure what way immigration would look at it for us coming into the country on a WHV. Anyone done this before and it worked out?

Does anyone know if we were able to come on a WHV would we then have to leave the country for the 457 visa to be granted?

Jen
People have done it before, there have been cases on BE where its worked out. However you MUST tell DIAC that you are applying for the WHV, and you must keep them informed of your contact details once you move to Australia.

I should also add the usual warning - if for some reason your 457 isn't granted, have you considered what you would do next?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
People have done it before, there have been cases on BE where its worked out. However you MUST tell DIAC that you are applying for the WHV, and you must keep them informed of your contact details once you move to Australia.

I should also add the usual warning - if for some reason your 457 isn't granted, have you considered what you would do next?
Yes Pollyana,

If we dont get the 457 we would just stay out there unitl the whv expires. we figure its better to have even a year of living in Oz than nothing. R there many instances where a 457 isn't approved?

Jen
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Also bear in mind that if the 457 is granted, it replaces the WHV, and you can never get another one (unless you meet the specific requirements for an additional year).