Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Reply

Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:14 pm
  #46  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,757
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by McDoosh View Post
The agent told me that the 300 has lower evidentiary requirements than the 820 and she thought it a little safer to do it that way as we don't have a lot of relationship evidence other than text messages or facebook contact for 14 months.

Having said that, is it really worth 4 grand for her to take us down the route she suggests (subclass 300 followed by 820) or could we easily navigate it ourselves.

Thanks

McDoosh
Its correct that the 300 (the PMV) has much lower evidential requirements, as you don't need to have lived together etc, you only need to prove that you have met each other, but there is no way I can see that fee would be justified for the 300, 820 or both. UNLESS there are other issues involved like kids from previous relationships, medical issues, criminal convictions etc.
Otherwise just ask questions on here and do your own application.
Pollyana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:43 pm
  #47  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,927
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by McDoosh View Post
The agent told me that the 300 has lower evidentiary requirements than the 820 and she thought it a little safer to do it that way as we don't have a lot of relationship evidence other than text messages or facebook contact for 14 months.

Having said that, is it really worth 4 grand for her to take us down the route she suggests (subclass 300 followed by 820) or could we easily navigate it ourselves.

Thanks

McDoosh
You'll still need to apply for a 820/801 as soon as you're married so it makes no difference.
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:26 pm
  #48  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
jazzys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,298
jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Thanks guys, i really appreciate your help. This forum is such a valuable thing to be able to access.

I think we may apply for the 300 and by the time the divorce is finalised, the visa may not be too far away either.

We'll open a joint bank account here in Australia and drip feed funds regularly.
We'll also get a letter from a local marriage celebrant indicating our intention to marry.

A million thanks

McDoosh
jazzys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:44 pm
  #49  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,927
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by McDoosh View Post
Thanks guys, i really appreciate your help. This forum is such a valuable thing to be able to access.

I think we may apply for the 300 and by the time the divorce is finalised, the visa may not be too far away either.

We'll open a joint bank account here in Australia and drip feed funds regularly.
We'll also get a letter from a local marriage celebrant indicating our intention to marry.

A million thanks

McDoosh
It's your decision but that really would be a waste of time and money.
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th 2017, 11:35 pm
  #50  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,757
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by McDoosh View Post
Thanks guys, i really appreciate your help. This forum is such a valuable thing to be able to access.

I think we may apply for the 300 and by the time the divorce is finalised, the visa may not be too far away either.

We'll open a joint bank account here in Australia and drip feed funds regularly.
We'll also get a letter from a local marriage celebrant indicating our intention to marry.

A million thanks

McDoosh
To apply for a 300 you have to both be free to marry. The celebrant has to sign a form to say that they have spoken to you and have seen the evidence you are free to marry etc, and set a provisional date (which can be changed later).
So you can't start the application until the divorce is finalised.

Any reputable agent should have told you that straight off.
Pollyana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:13 am
  #51  
BE Enthusiast
 
Still Game's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In a big country, dreams stay with you ...
Posts: 751
Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

I love reading threads like this. No back and forth tit for tat, this country vs. that - just people taking time out to provide pure honest help for the sake of help itself. Such great (correct) advice that many people may take advantage of reading. All the best McDoosh
Still Game is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:05 am
  #52  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
jazzys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,298
jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by Still Game View Post
I love reading threads like this. No back and forth tit for tat, this country vs. that - just people taking time out to provide pure honest help for the sake of help itself. Such great (correct) advice that many people may take advantage of reading. All the best McDoosh
Thanks so much to everyone who has took the time and effort contributing to this thread of mine.

We're all in this game of life together and to find that special person who ticks every box is such a beautiful thing. We both feel very lucky to have discovered each other again after first meeting over 30 years ago.
We're nearing the end of two amazing weeks together. We haven't met for over 30 years but it feels like we've been together forever. All just sooooo comfortable, natural and no pretending to be anyone we're not.

Once the divorce comes thru it will be all systems go and thanks to your advice and guidance, i'm sure we'll get through the process without too much trouble.
There's no issues as far as i'm aware. We'd both be free to marry, no health or criminal history issues. And no dependants to worry about.

Just two people who want to enjoy life together.

Thanks a million

McDooosh :-)
jazzys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:56 am
  #53  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
jazzys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,298
jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Hi guys, i have a query after chatting to an immigration agent this afternoon.
As per the advice given here, she advised that my future wife arrive on the 651 visa, get married and then apply for the 820.

She said that once we pay her lots of dollars, she would send me a checklist of things we should start pulling together now, in order to support our visa application.

We have set up and are both contributing to a joint bank account, we also have mutual friends in Australia who can supply statements confirming our intention to marry.
We visited them while she was here for the past 2 weeks.

Any idea what other pieces of evidence might be helpful.....

Thanks

McDoosh
jazzys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:05 am
  #54  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,927
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by McDoosh View Post
Hi guys, i have a query after chatting to an immigration agent this afternoon.
As per the advice given here, she advised that my future wife arrive on the 651 visa, get married and then apply for the 820.

She said that once we pay her lots of dollars, she would send me a checklist of things we should start pulling together now, in order to support our visa application.

We have set up and are both contributing to a joint bank account, we also have mutual friends in Australia who can supply statements confirming our intention to marry.
We visited them while she was here for the past 2 weeks.

Any idea what other pieces of evidence might be helpful.....

Thanks

McDoosh
Please, for the love of God, stop wasting your money. Here's a checklist for free:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12339913
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:13 am
  #55  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
jazzys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,298
jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Please, for the love of God, stop wasting your money. Here's a checklist for free:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12339913
Thanks mate, i didn't waste any money, it was free advice.
I'm following exactly as you guys have advised me to do.

She rang me and i decided to just pick her brains a little.

Many thanks

McDoosh
jazzys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:25 am
  #56  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 62,607
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Please, for the love of God, stop wasting your money. Here's a checklist for free:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12339913
That's all I was going to suggest. Also do a search on here for Spouse Visas. There have been many over the years including mine from a long time ago. It may not be as cheap as it was 'in my day' but it's still as (relatively) easy. MARA Agents have their place and are much needed. But for straightforward Spouse Visas they are not.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:06 am
  #57  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 39
poida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
That's all I was going to suggest. Also do a search on here for Spouse Visas. There have been many over the years including mine from a long time ago. It may not be as cheap as it was 'in my day' but it's still as (relatively) easy. MARA Agents have their place and are much needed. But for straightforward Spouse Visas they are not.
+1 for doing it yourself.

I had only been dating my wife for a few months, had a 'quickie'* marriage just before her WHV 417 expired and applied for the 820 the next day to get a bridging visa that allowed her to stay. (Got funny looks from the policeman who certified our wedding certificate on our 'wedding night'.)

We had very little evidence with the application but by the time they eventually got around to processing the visa we had been married for over a year and were expecting our first so it all went through fine.

*We eventually had a proper wedding and still happily married 5 years later, albeit living in the UK...
poida is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 2:16 am
  #58  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
jazzys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,298
jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Well it's the weekend and time to get my head around the process we are about to embark upon.

I have downloaded and printed off the Immigration department booklet for partner migration and i'm starting to get everything clear in my head.

I do have a question though......:-)

At one point it mentions that in certain circumstances you may need to provide a completed form 40SP (Sponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia)

What certain circumstances are these? Anyone got a clue whether we will need to do that.

From what i can see my partner would have to fill in the form 47SP and i, as the sponsor would fill in 47SP....

Cheers guys,

Have an awesome weekend

McDoosh
jazzys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 2:28 am
  #59  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,757
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by McDoosh View Post
Well it's the weekend and time to get my head around the process we are about to embark upon.

I have downloaded and printed off the Immigration department booklet for partner migration and i'm starting to get everything clear in my head.

I do have a question though......:-)

At one point it mentions that in certain circumstances you may need to provide a completed form 40SP (Sponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia)

What certain circumstances are these? Anyone got a clue whether we will need to do that.

From what i can see my partner would have to fill in the form 47SP and i, as the sponsor would fill in 47SP....

Cheers guys,

Have an awesome weekend

McDoosh
If you are applying online then I think 40 and 47 are now just done electronically.
If you are applying on paper then yes, both 47 and 40 are required - one (47) is for the applicant and one (40) for the sponsor.
Pollyana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 2:38 am
  #60  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
jazzys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,298
jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
If you are applying online then I think 40 and 47 are now just done electronically.
If you are applying on paper then yes, both 47 and 40 are required - one (47) is for the applicant and one (40) for the sponsor.
Thanks pollyanna,
Would i be right in thinking the 47 and 40 are the actual application and are the only forms required to apply for the the 820 visa, or is there an actual form for the 820 as well?

Any benefit applying on paper over applying online?

I notice on the form 47SP it asks for the main applicants name (as shown in her passport) but that will change once we're married. How would she answer that, given that her actual name will be different to the one shown in her passport?

Cheers

Last edited by jazzys; Oct 7th 2017 at 3:19 am.
jazzys is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement