Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend moving to Oz. is it possible

Originally Posted by McDoosh
We were looking at the 820 visa guys.....and i believe we couldn't apply until her divorce is finalised....

That should be soon but as i mentioned, she has flights booked for Feb next year.....

Cheers
Aren’t you going to struggle to get the 12 months cohabitation evidence for the 820? Surely a PMV would be the way to go?

Might have to use the Feb bookings as a holiday and go home again or delay the booking until the visa has come through. Always a big risk arriving on a tourist visa not intending to be a tourist.

Last edited by quoll; Nov 22nd 2017 at 5:15 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Aren’t you going to struggle to get the 12 months cohabitation evidence for the 820? Surely a PMV would be the way to go?

Might have to use the Feb bookings as a holiday and go home again or delay the booking until the visa has come through. Always a big risk arriving on a tourist visa not intending to be a tourist.
From what i read we can register the relationship or marry and the 12 month cohabitation can be waived in Queensland....

Please correct me if you know different and I've missed something.

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2017, 1:06 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
. Always a big risk arriving on a tourist visa not intending to be a tourist.
Especially if its a one way ticket, that might be grounds for an immediate turn around.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, i must say i'm getting a little spooked by all of this.

Initially i was advised to go down this route of coming on the tourist visa, registering the relationship or getting married, and then applying for the 820 visa.

No need to go thru a migration agent, it'll all be sweet.

The last few posts have got me on edge and i'm wondering if our plans may have to change.

Anyone got anything that might put my mind at rest.....

I am wondering how it is a risk if we follow the rules, surely its either allowed or not allowed.....

Cheers
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi guys, i must say i'm getting a little spooked by all of this.

Initially i was advised to go down this route of coming on the tourist visa, registering the relationship or getting married, and then applying for the 820 visa.

No need to go thru a migration agent, it'll all be sweet.

The last few posts have got me on edge and i'm wondering if our plans may have to change.

Anyone got anything that might put my mind at rest.....

I am wondering how it is a risk if we follow the rules, surely its either allowed or not allowed.....

Cheers
She is allowed to enter on a tourist visa if her intention is to be a tourist and leave at the end of the holiday.
Once she arrives, she can change her mind, get married etc and apply onshore for a 820. When her tourist visa expires she will go onto a Bridging Visa A and can work. Make sure the 820 application goes in at least a few days before the other expires, in case of any hitches like payment not going through first time.

The problems come when people think they can arrive with the intention of staying and never leaving, when in fact their visa only allows them to stay for three months.
Many people arrive as tourists and want to apply for the 80 on de facto grounds, that means they have to build up 12 months living together and hence they hop in and out of Aus every three moths on tourist visas. This is not what the tourist visa is for and is fraught with danger - there s a story on another forum recently of someone who was denied entry after they pulled her up for repeatedly doing the three month thing.

If you are planning to marry then she doesn't need to worry about the leaving/re-entering as long as you get the marriage and the new visa application doen within the first three months.

Too late now I guess, but marrying and applying offshore for a 309/100 and just entering on that would have been less stressful and much much quicker. 820 timelines are reputedly stretching out to 2-3 years at resent.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 27th 2017 at 3:49 am.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow this info has really thrown me......there i was being advised for her to come on her 3 month tourist visa, register the relationship or get married and then apply for the 820.....it seems it isn't as straightforward as i believed....OK so now I'm worried.....I'm wondering if we need to change our plans

Many thanks
Old Nov 27th 2017, 4:18 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McDoosh
Wow this info has really thrown me......there i was being advised for her to come on her 3 month tourist visa, register the relationship or get married and then apply for the 820.....it seems it isn't as straightforward as i believed....OK so now I'm worried.....I'm wondering if we need to change our plans

Many thanks
As I said above, its about INTENTION. The tourist/evisitor visa is intended for holidays. Changing one's mind after arrival, marrying and staying is fine, but if you come through Immigration at point of entry and they ask for your intentions, saying ' I'm here to get married and stay for ever' might just get you on the first plane back!
Many people follow the route you propose, almost all of them are successful. But it would be negligent of us on here if we didn't point out the difference. DIBP have designed a visa for people coming as Spouses from offshore - its the 309/100, and they want you to apply for it and get it offshore.
Doing the tourist visa to 820 route is not what they want, and while it is perfectly legal if you arrive with the right intention, if they think you plan to do it they can refuse you.

Having said all that, I've been in this game a long time and I haven't seen anyone turned back yet trying to do evisitor/820. Thats not to say it deosn't happen, but there is little evdence of it on forums, especially for UK nationals. The only one I know of who has actually been sent home is someone on another forum who was on her third re-entry on an evisitor, 3 months in, 1 week out, x 3 - trying to build up de facto time.

The other main thing to think of though is the processing times. Up till recently both onshore and offshore were around 12-18 months. Now many offshore are being processed in around 6 months Onshore has ballooned to anything up to 4 years. That is a lifetime on a Bridging Visa. Not only will there be problems with employment, as many employers will not give permanent roles to someone who might have to leave tomorrow, but every time you want to leave Aus and return you have to apply for a Bridging Visa B, more hassle, more money. Also things will be harder regarding finance, mortgages etc
Old Nov 27th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Pollyanna, i really appreciate the time you spend answering my queries.

I guess the employment situation is a bridge we'll have to cross if it arrives.
Travel isn't something we'd be doing a lot of anyway, maybe once or twice in the 4 years and other than that we'd be happy to stay onshore here in Oz.

Many many thanks

McDoosh
Old Nov 27th 2017, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Medical cover is another thing to be aware of. The reciprocal arrangement between UK and Aus doesnt cover everything, just necessary medical treatment. Some things you might think are necessary might well not be, according to the schedule of payments. That's why travel insurance for tourists has the medical care cover on it.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi guys, i've re-read thru the entire thread and we're going to stay the course as previously planned. But what kind of evidence can we provide with our 820 visa application that shows we're in a genuine relationship but our intention wasn't to come on the tourist visa and get married.......

Many thanks in advance

McDoosh
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Hi guys, i've re-read thru the entire thread and we're going to stay the course as previously planned. But what kind of evidence can we provide with our 820 visa application that shows we're in a genuine relationship but our intention wasn't to come on the tourist visa and get married.......

Many thanks in advance

McDoosh
Stick to one username, stops confusion all round.

You should have lots of evidence that you are a couple, if you have been living together etc, joint hotels, joint flights, events you have attended together, any cash going between the two of you etc etc
However if you turn up with the wedding and a honeymoon already booked, and evidence of it in your luggage.....or she arrives with a long white dress in her bag........that kind of gives it away.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Stick to one username, stops confusion all round.
+1. Added to which, you can't have multiple usernames as per Site Rule 16. Please choose which you would like to keep OP and let us know, thx.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Many thanks in advance

McDoosh
Have you thought about going back to UK for a year to get up the evidence for a genuine relationship?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1. Added to which, you can't have multiple usernames as per Site Rule 16. Please choose which you would like to keep OP and let us know, thx.
Oooops, apologies for the confusion.

I'll be Jazzys thanks very much :-)

It's all good Pollyanna, we won't be turning up with anything booked or a big white dress in her suitcase. lol

As for the thought of going back to the UK for a year, good lord, don't make me do that please. that would be an absolute last resort.

No job and freezing my proverbials off doesn't sound much fun at all. and then i'd have to come back to no job and nowhere to live too.

Not if i can help it..........

Cheers
Jazzys

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 30th 2017 at 6:56 pm. Reason: All sorted now.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi guys,
Well here we are in mid february and all is well in Jazzy's world.
My partner is once again on Australian soil after we've spent a few days together in Singapore.
She's on her tourist visa but we'd love to make her stay a permanent one and eventually get married.

Is the first thing for us to register a civil partnership and then apply for the 820 visa, giving her the bridging visa she needs until the visa application is processed?

Thank you

Jazzys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.