getting started.....

Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Ozz1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting started.....

hi,ive made the descision that i want to move however there are so many different sites on the net i dont know where to start with getting my application off and running. Im an upholsterer and apparently there is a shortage of them so i shouldnt have trouble getting a job.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting started.....

Originally Posted by Ozz1980
hi,ive made the descision that i want to move however there are so many different sites on the net i dont know where to start with getting my application off and running. Im an upholsterer and apparently there is a shortage of them so i shouldnt have trouble getting a job.
The best place to start is www.immi.gov.au

I assume you are considering a skills visa and I can see that Furniture upholsterer is indeed on the skills list. What I recommend you do next is complete a points test to see if you have enough points for a visa. If you google Australian visa points test or something you should find a test.

If you pass the test and decide to apply the first thing you should do is apply to get your skills assessed. If you don't hold a passport from an english speaking nation then you should also apply to do an English IELTS test. You need these two things before you apply.

After that you can either lodge an application on-line or do a paper based application. A lot of us seem to prefer the online version. You might also decide to do it yourself or if you prefer you can engage a migration agent for extra peace of mind. This is a personal choice.

After you lodge your application and provide all your documents you sit and wait. Possibly for a very long time. At some point you will hear from somebody from the immigration department and you will be asked to go for medicals and to send in police checks, this is one of the final stages before visa is granted for most people.

Finally, I would be wary of thinking that because something is on the skills list it means you won't have any trouble getting a job.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Ozz1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply bermuda. i was born and currently live in the uk,ive found some jobs online but the problem is there are just so many agents out there its hard to know which basket to throw my eggs into. as im 29 i want to get it done asap. ive taken the online points test and have passed.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply bermuda. i was born and currently live in the uk,ive found some jobs online but the problem is there are just so many agents out there its hard to know which basket to throw my eggs into. as im 29 i want to get it done asap. ive taken the online points test and have passed.
So you just wanted a migration agent recommendation then? Sorry I misunderstood your post.

Well I would say make sure they are MARA registered most importantly. there are also a few agents who regularly post on here, I am sure that any of them would do a good job for you. I can't remember all their names and don't want to only mention one or two, but if you read a few threads I am sure you will come across them.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

james1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant future

Get a working visa, get out there and if all goes well and you enjoy it, find work easy etc. apply from within Oz
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james1972
Get a working visa, get out there and if all goes well and you enjoy it, find work easy etc. apply from within Oz
Still has to meet requirements to stay longer - job offer on its own won't do. Also, being onshore doesn't always help.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

james1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Still has to meet requirements to stay longer - job offer on its own won't do. Also, being onshore doesn't always help.
Agree with all points. I just meant that at 29 you can get a working visa so could get that to get out there quicker and see if you like it. Always check points as you may lose points at 30 years old and the onshore bit was just to say that you dont have to be offshore to apply for perm visa.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by james1972
Agree with all points. I just meant that at 29 you can get a working visa so could get that to get out there quicker and see if you like it. Always check points as you may lose points at 30 years old and the onshore bit was just to say that you dont have to be offshore to apply for perm visa.

Good Luck.
"..may lose points at 30.."? No may about it, will definitely lose points at 30.

The other risks are that on a WHV one could easily become ineligble for the skilled visa with respect to the having worked for 12 in last 24 months in a skilled occupation. Also no guarantee of finding an employer willing to sponsor.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:01 am
Reg. Migration Agent

SD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really nice

Hello Ozz,
I would recommend getting quotes from a couple of UK based and a couple of Aus based agents then doing a bit of research on those whose fee's you find reasonable

Regards