Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

First Entry as P.R. - What do they look at?

First Entry as P.R. - What do they look at?

Old Mar 7th 2007, 2:26 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Entry as P.R. - What do they look at?

Originally Posted by JAJ
No, you just have to declare it.

The definition is: "Amounts of $A10000 or more, or equivalent in foreign currency (meaning notes and coins of legal tender), must be reported on arrival or departure."
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4443

Are you seriously contemplating carrying that much in cash?
No chance!! as said earlier all my money is already in australia transferred a while ago.

im just living day to day now on my earnings. if i save up a certain amount i trade it into my westpac account. i wouldnt be foolish enough to carry that around with me especially as we are in bamboo huts in thailand for a week on the way there to live!

I just wonderered if you declared it what happened as
Some people stash it in thier mattresses for years thats all and may bring it with them as they dont trust banks. How can they tell on the spot if this is the case or not. Would you be investigated?

Hard one to judge i think

A. Do they count it on the spot
B. What do you need to prove its yours.
C. is there any way of them being able to take it off you.
D. Its 3.30am here and i like to know these sorts of things late at night as i cant sleep, overactive mind, underACTIVE BODY LOL

Al

Last edited by alkristensen; Mar 7th 2007 at 2:40 am.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 2:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen

Some people stash it in thier mattresses for years thats all and may bring it with them as they dont trust banks. How can they tell on the spot if this is the case or not. Would you be investigated?

A. If you don't declare it, and are selected for customs inspection and they find a substantial amount of cash, yes they will count it.

B/C. I suggest a browse of http://www.customs.gov.au for customs non-declaration penalties.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 2:51 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A. If you don't declare it, and are selected for customs inspection and they find a substantial amount of cash, yes they will count it.

B/C. I suggest a browse of http://www.customs.gov.au for customs non-declaration penalties.

Thanks Jaj.

It wont affect me at all. I dont have anything to declare on that score. A nice 6.8 % interest rate is better than carrying it round with you. I live in manchester, i dont even carry my teeth with me here just in case LOL

im just inquisitive of silly points. not everyone is conformist thats all. I have a very lateral mind and a thirst for knowing crap

al
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Hi Al

I think you have taken a wise decision to transfer your money before you move and i think i should have to do the same as soon as the visa is granted.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No chance!! as said earlier all my money is already in australia transferred a while ago.

im just living day to day now on my earnings. if i save up a certain amount i trade it into my westpac account. i wouldnt be foolish enough to carry that around with me especially as we are in bamboo huts in thailand for a week on the way there to live!

D. Its 3.30am here and i like to know these sorts of things late at night as i cant sleep, overactive mind, underACTIVE BODY LOL

Al

You should watch anything to declare on TV. It's great

One guy tried to get past customs with about $25k in cash. They said it was the proceeds from selling drugs and confiscated it all (This was an Aussie guy with convictions for drug dealing)
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wendy
You should watch anything to declare on TV. It's great

One guy tried to get past customs with about $25k in cash. They said it was the proceeds from selling drugs and confiscated it all (This was an Aussie guy with convictions for drug dealing)
ive seen that program i think when i was in aus.

great program and amazing what people will try to bring in, although £10,000 isnt alot by todays standards is it really either!

we went through oz with about £7,000 a couple of years ago, but in travellers cheques as we were on the first leg of our round the world trip.

I cant remember if we declared it or not. Do you have to declare travellers cheques anyone?

al
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

ive seen that program i think when i was in aus.

great program and amazing what people will try to bring in, although £10,000 isnt alot by todays standards is it really either!

we went through oz with about £7,000 a couple of years ago, but in travellers cheques as we were on the first leg of our round the world trip.

I cant remember if we declared it or not. Do you have to declare travellers cheques anyone?

al
No, only cash.

As for the odd things people bring in - I usually bring a variety of food, all sealed, legal, and declared, but I remember being in the queue once behind a very small Indian gentleman dragging a huge suitcase. Took the help of the AQIS woman to get it up onto the table, and when opened it was full of uncooked pizza, wrapped in clingfilm..........nowt as queer as folk, as they say!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, only cash.

As for the odd things people bring in - I usually bring a variety of food, all sealed, legal, and declared, but I remember being in the queue once behind a very small Indian gentleman dragging a huge suitcase. Took the help of the AQIS woman to get it up onto the table, and when opened it was full of uncooked pizza, wrapped in clingfilm..........nowt as queer as folk, as they say!

Hi Polly
Whether migrating or going on holidays, people tend to bring in food of all sorts from the country of origin for their own use or for parents/friends.
I believe it's good that Australian Customs imposed strict conditions on uncooked foods or ''doubtful'' foods.

With regards to money issue - i wonder how the customs or immigration checks will be able to check if you are in accordance with question 24 of form 47SK if you do not declare anything on arrival.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi Polly
Whether migrating or going on holidays, people tend to bring in food of all sorts from the country of origin for their own use or for parents/friends.
I believe it's good that Australian Customs imposed strict conditions on uncooked foods or ''doubtful'' foods.

With regards to money issue - i wonder how the customs or immigration checks will be able to check if you are in accordance with question 24 of form 47SK if you do not declare anything on arrival.
I totally agree about the food - I try to make it easy for the poor Customs guys by having a list of all the stuff I'm bringing in, and I fully support the fact that they want to keep out certain pests and disease. Native flora and fauna is too precious to be put at risk.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:03 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi there,

I’m not yet at the stage of validating my 1st entry as P.R. (hoping by June) but I am very much interested to know what the Immigration people at the airport look at and/or provide you with when you first arrive as a Permanent Resident.

For instance, do they provide all new P.R.with a Card upon their first entry ?

Do they check if the money you brought is in accordance with what you mentioned in the Form 47SK when the application was sent to DIAC.

Is it a lengthy procedure for 1st time P.R. at the airport as opposed to a normal/current procedure for people arriving as tourist/studies etc…

Your input is very much appreciated…

Dont forget the avoid the men in green, they wil try to sign you up for national service.....
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Dont forget the avoid the men in green, they wil try to sign you up for national service.....

Hi mark
did you experienced this fact?