Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

First Entry as P.R. - What do they look at?

First Entry as P.R. - What do they look at?

Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of
Default First Entry as P.R. - What do they look at?

Hi there,

I’m not yet at the stage of validating my 1st entry as P.R. (hoping by June) but I am very much interested to know what the Immigration people at the airport look at and/or provide you with when you first arrive as a Permanent Resident.

For instance, do they provide all new P.R.with a Card upon their first entry ?

Do they check if the money you brought is in accordance with what you mentioned in the Form 47SK when the application was sent to DIAC.

Is it a lengthy procedure for 1st time P.R. at the airport as opposed to a normal/current procedure for people arriving as tourist/studies etc…

Your input is very much appreciated…

Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: First Entry as P.R. - What do they look at?

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi there,

I’m not yet at the stage of validating my 1st entry as P.R. (hoping by June) but I am very much interested to know what the Immigration people at the airport look at and/or provide you with when you first arrive as a Permanent Resident.

Do they check if the money you brought is in accordance with what you mentioned in the Form 47SK when the application was sent to DIAC.

Is it a lengthy procedure for 1st time P.R. at the airport as opposed to a normal/current procedure for people arriving as tourist/studies etc…

Usually it takes seconds! Not really any dfferent to arriving with any other sort of visa/ETA. They check the passport, visa label and the computer and that's about it! No they don't issue you with a card - what sort of card do you mean?

Madhu
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:13 pm
fingers crossed

heading south is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We validated our 136 visas a few months ago (November 2006) with a trip to Adelaide. Waited in the queue in immigration as normal, presented our passports and that was that - the visa in the passport must flag something up when they enter passport/visa details into their system. I asked, just to be on the safe side, and she said something along the lines of "it's all done by computer". No special stamp - you get the normal arrival-type stamp (date/place of entry) - or card. And that was that and then off to find our bags. The immigration staff on arrival have no idea (or care) whether you are going to turn around and go home on the next flight or stay for years. The customs guys are interested in the information you filled in on the form on the plane about what you're taking into the country and not what was on your application to DIAC.

Heading South
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

So what do you show employers to prove you have PR, and that your not on a student visa or a holiday visa?

Chris
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris96
So what do you show employers to prove you have PR, and that your not on a student visa or a holiday visa?

Chris
Your visa label in your passport that would have been affixed by the AHC in London before you arrive in Australia (assuming you're in the UK when the visa's granted!)
Or employers can register to check visa status online in some circumstances.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

jeeva will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chris96

Chris
Your passport with visa.
You may also show the grant letter, which should detail the full work rights for a PR.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 8:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

At the recruitment agency where I work we look at your passport with the visa label in it. Most recruiters know what the different visa types are.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

They will be able to tell I am validating for the first time cos I`ll be jumping and skipping..!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Well i thought it's like in other countries, Canada maybe where 1st time Permanent Residents are provided with a P.R.Card issued by the immigration section at the airport.
Great then if this is a normal procedure taking seconds i/o having to wait for hours...
Do they check how much money you bring in ....?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well i thought it's like in other countries, Canada maybe where 1st time Permanent Residents are provided with a P.R.Card issued by the immigration section at the airport.
Great then if this is a normal procedure taking seconds i/o having to wait for hours...
Do they check how much money you bring in ....?
No.

Having said that, if you bring over $10,000 in cash you must declare it.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 7th 2007 at 1:39 am.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:46 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No.

Having said that, if you bring over $10,000 in cash you must declare it.
and if you do declare it then what happens pol please.

4 grand isnt a lot of money today(i have all my money in oz account already anyway) so im just wondering what happens when you do declare it. Is it a case of them counting it or do they just say "oh fine"! or do they send info on to the taxman or somethng.

Just wondering what purpose it serves to to declare other than declaring you may get mugged LOL?

And what happens if you dont?

al
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
and if you do declare it then what happens pol please.
Nothing, in principle.

It just makes sure there's no money laundering or tax evasion going on.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:56 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

You have to sing the aussie anthem before you are allowed entry.

They give you a fanfare with a brass band on getting through the exit and you get your own lump of gold.

Then you get a special permanent holder for your rose tinted specs and a family sized tub of sunblock!

Seriously tho. i got pulled. i had previous convictions for driving offences and i had to get a tourist visa(mini pr visa!) and explain away my mis spent youth on the visa application.

I had to tick the previous convicton box on the entry card. They checked on the comp whether i had or not(took 5 mins) and that was that.

I must note that the tourist visa came back with a letter attached saying that the convictions had been duly noted and should i do more in the future i have to declare these too.

They do check obviously. NEVER LIE ON YOUR VISA.

validation is nothing after a day and a half flight, you just want a bed.lol
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
Nothing, in principle.

It just makes sure there's no money laundering or tax evasion going on.
thanks jaj

do you have to prove where its from then?
if so how do you do this(will an account printout do?)

And is this the same for travellers cheques?

al
Old Mar 7th 2007, 2:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
do you have to prove where its from then?
No, you just have to declare it.

The definition is: "Amounts of $A10000 or more, or equivalent in foreign currency (meaning notes and coins of legal tender), must be reported on arrival or departure."
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4443

Are you seriously contemplating carrying that much in cash?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.