FBI fingerprint verification

Old Sep 17th 2003, 12:49 pm
Ben

Default FBI fingerprint verification

I'm having my FBI fingerprint card sent to me overseas. It looks like
there are a few other people that have done this.

My question is, how does the FBI know it's *my* fingerprints when I
send it back? Do I need to have someone witness when I put my prints
down? It seems like you could just fake the prints otherwise...

Thanks,
Ben

Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:53 pm
4000 Psi

Default Re: FBI fingerprint verification

you need to be fingerprinted by a policeman who will verify your
identification prior to finger-printing you

"ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having my FBI fingerprint card sent to me overseas. It looks like
    > there are a few other people that have done this.
    > My question is, how does the FBI know it's *my* fingerprints when I
    > send it back? Do I need to have someone witness when I put my prints
    > down? It seems like you could just fake the prints otherwise...
    > Thanks,
    > Ben

Old Sep 17th 2003, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

SentApril2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ben

Thanks,
Ben
Ben,

I had to bring some photo id, I think they specifically asked for a passport or something that proved citizenship/place of birth.

-Kevin.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Phone your local police headquarters and speak to the Fingerprint Bureau. Most bureaux will do fingerprints for migration purposes,and most will have to levy a charge (set by the Home Office). You will need to take your passport with you to prove your identity, and the officer taking the prints will sign and stamp the form to confirm that the prints are those of the passport holder.
Don't even think about taking your own prints - the FBI will send them back.......!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Depends where you are. If you are in the UK, take the card to your local police office who maybe able to take the prints for you, providing they still have the caveman inking system. Take some ID along with you just in case.

In direct response to your question, as long as a PC signs the designated box it is good enough for the FBI. Make sure you roll your finger from nail to nail to get a good print. If the middle bit does not come out FBI will reject the prints. Mind you if you commit a crime whilst at the police station I'm sure they will take very good prints for you. Not recommended though!

If your local police won't do it, New Scotland yard will for 20 quid.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

SentApril2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ben

Thanks,
Ben
Ben,

One other thing. I fedex'd the fingerprint card to the FBI along with a pre-paid fedex return envelope with it, and got the results very quickly. If you need them fast, that would definitely help. You are also able to tell when the FBI sent the results as you can track it. You probably save about 2 weeks or so. I guess I was just anxious to send them off to ASPC.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 6:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

While not wishing to disagree with anything Majj said, be careful. The FBI and Canada have both got very particular lately. Several forms have recently been returned by the FBI - some because the prints were smudged (taken by the subject himself), one because the name/dob etc was illegible, one because the form was signed by a police officer, rather than a fingerprint officer and did not have an official police stamp on it. And that is just in one UK police force area.
Its recommended that you get your fingerprint bureau to do the job, rather than a beat PC. While not wishing to offend any officers out there, some of them have not taken a set of prints for many years, especially now most arrestee sets are done on computer - totally different technique. And any PC who signs the box is saying that he took the prints himself - not that you did it yourself!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Please view this as an opinion and not absolute.

I believe that the FBI has a database of fingerprints, from any fingerprinting you had done while in the States e.g while getting driver's license, perhaps an employment license etc. If you have a criminal backgorund, it'll show up. If not, it won't.
When sending your fingerprints from a country abroad, your fingerprints have to be placed on the card by your local police officers taking the fingerprints.

Of course your local police will request for some ID to verify your identity. When you send your FPs to the FBI, you must include return postage. They only offer free return postage to those living within the US.

I hope this helps you!!

Originally posted by Ben

Thanks,
Ben