Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Is this enough proof for my defacto relationship?

Is this enough proof for my defacto relationship?

Old May 19th 2008, 9:24 pm
and Anna : )

james2300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Is this enough proof for my defacto relationship?

Hi,
Just wanted to double check with my fellow BE users to see if this sounds like enough.

Written statement from myself and girlfriend.
Written statement from my dad.
Written statement from my girlfriend's parents.
Written statement from 2 good friends.

7 Page document with captioned/dated photos, detailing our relationship over the past 4 years.

Scans of 'Confirmation of electoral details' and employment payslips for both of us showing the same address for the past 2 years.

Scans of various shared holiday documents over the past 3 years, including scans of stamps in passport.

Scans of email conversations (8 in total), from when we were apart for 6 months 3 years ago.

Does this sound like enough. We don't have any financial ties like mortgage/accounts etc.

Many Thanks

James
Old May 19th 2008, 10:10 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this enough proof for my defacto relationship?

That sounds like the way to go to me! Although my visa is a Prospective Marriage one so slightly different in the detail required.

My only suggestion is that maybe you could do a statement on the heading of finances just stating that as with many couples these days you have kept your bank accounts separate - maybe its one of those "round to it" situations as in you never got round to it! Just explain how you share the expenses for your day to day living - not in any great detail just in general terms? My fiance and I included this in our statements as we had been living together for nearly a year when we submitted ours, I just explained that he paid rent/power bills, I paid food/petrol/incidental expenses etc... and highlighted some bank statements showing the payments. I'm not sure if this is strictly necessary and is only a suggestion based on what we did ourselves.

Good luck with it all !
Old May 19th 2008, 10:14 pm

Thanks sillyoldbag.
I like your name
Old May 20th 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

I think the specific wording is "evidence of a marriage-like relationship" so something financial showing how you each contribute to household expenses and other purchases, backed up with bank statements/ direct debit records. This, plus proof of sharing the same address and shared holidays is probably more than enough to be honest.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have enough. I assume you have explained the financial situation in your statement as well as explaining where you see the relationship going and how you support each other and will continue to do so in the future blah blah blah
Old May 20th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by james2300
Hi,
Just wanted to double check with my fellow BE users to see if this sounds like enough.

7 Page document with captioned/dated photos, detailing our relationship over the past 4 years.

Scans of 'Confirmation of electoral details' and employment payslips for both of us showing the same address for the past 2 years.

Scans of various shared holiday documents over the past 3 years, including scans of stamps in passport.

Scans of email conversations (8 in total), from when we were apart for 6 months 3 years ago.

Does this sound like enough. We don't have any financial ties like mortgage/accounts etc.

Many Thanks

James
You've got plenty.
They are looking to let you in, not trying to pick holes in how your relationship works.
If your first language wasn't English and you'd only been together a short while, well, that'll be different....
Old May 20th 2008, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

don't want to worry anyone but my aussie OH and I have been living together in a defacto relationship for over 5 years, been married for 18months and sent in approx 20 pieces of evidence for each year we have been together with our spouse visa application - financial proof, addresses, photo's, joint social activities etc etc.

we have just been contacted by immigration asking for more proof!! not sure what more I have that I can give!!
Old May 20th 2008, 6:01 pm
M8M
Forum Regular

M8M is a jewel in the roughM8M is a jewel in the roughM8M is a jewel in the roughM8M is a jewel in the roughM8M is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Many Thanks

James
Sounds like tons to me - we sent pretty much same as you, but we also opened a joint bank account - an 'Oz fund' to save up in - the only thing that we provided was the letter to confirm that the account was set-up and open in both our names and that was plenty - we did have cash coming from both of our personal accounts on a monthly basis so if we had of been asked to prove it we could - but we werent... just a tip! Good Luck anyway
Old May 20th 2008, 6:42 pm

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

In our statements we mention how we support each other, how we share subsistence such as groceries, both pay equal rent to my father. Do we need to go into any more financial detail, because other than that there isn't really much to say.
Would you recommend we actually scan our bank statements to show the money leaving our accounts for our rent. My fathers statement about us also mentions how we both pay equal rent to him.

Thanks
James
Old May 20th 2008, 6:46 pm
M8M
Forum Regular

M8M is a jewel in the roughM8M is a jewel in the roughM8M is a jewel in the roughM8M is a jewel in the roughM8M is a jewel in the rough

In our statements we mention how we support each other, how we share subsistence such as groceries, both pay equal rent to my father. Do we need to go into any more financial detail, because other than that there isn't really much to say.
Would you recommend we actually scan our bank statements to show the money leaving our accounts for our rent. My fathers statement about us also mentions how we both pay equal rent to him.

Thanks
James
The only thing I can honestly say is send as much as you possibly can!! This process is long and agonising as it is, so try not to give them an opportunity to come back and ask for more evidence or ask questions. So send too much is the advice really!! Whatever you can think of send it!!
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Thanks
James
I wouldn't bother, judging by your list and how much I put in for mine (which was way less).
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by donovandenese
don't want to worry anyone but my aussie OH and I have been living together in a defacto relationship for over 5 years, been married for 18months and sent in approx 20 pieces of evidence for each year we have been together with our spouse visa application - financial proof, addresses, photo's, joint social activities etc etc.

we have just been contacted by immigration asking for more proof!! not sure what more I have that I can give!!
Sounds like they're trying to decide if you can go straight for PR, rather than temporary first (like it is for the rest of us).