engineering in Oz!

Old Aug 9th 2004, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

5teve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engineering in Oz!

hi there

Me and my partner have just started an application for a PR going in on the skilled migration route. We are using my skills as a way in. i know its very early days but i was wondering where the better places for jobs are in engineering?

my main area of expertise is in plastic moulding design and i am currently designing computer equipment. i have a wide experience in several industries including working for design consultants.

i am a pro-engineer user and can also use several other CAD packages.

so from the vast experience that is pent up in this forum.... what area should i be looking to aim for? any other info would be great.

i do apologise if this has been asked a million times!

Thanks

Steve Oliver
Old Aug 9th 2004, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: engineering in Oz!

Originally Posted by 5teve
hi there

Me and my partner have just started an application for a PR going in on the skilled migration route. We are using my skills as a way in. i know its very early days but i was wondering where the better places for jobs are in engineering?

my main area of expertise is in plastic moulding design and i am currently designing computer equipment. i have a wide experience in several industries including working for design consultants.

i am a pro-engineer user and can also use several other CAD packages.

so from the vast experience that is pent up in this forum.... what area should i be looking to aim for? any other info would be great.

i do apologise if this has been asked a million times!

Thanks

Steve Oliver
Steve,
I would suggest South Australia as there is lots of manufacturing in the area including a couple of Car Assembly Plants (Mitsubishi and Holden spring to mind). I have contacted a couple of agencies in the area regarding Engineering work (though I'm more on the project management side of things) and it looks quite promising. I'll PM you the details when I get home tonight.
Marco
Old Aug 9th 2004, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marco121068
Steve,
I would suggest South Australia as there is lots of manufacturing in the area including a couple of Car Assembly Plants (Mitsubishi and Holden spring to mind). I have contacted a couple of agencies in the area regarding Engineering work (though I'm more on the project management side of things) and it looks quite promising. I'll PM you the details when I get home tonight.
Marco
thanks Marco i appreciate the very rapid response!

could you let me know what kind of communication you have had when you pm? like was it calling or emailing etc. i understand that im thinking about this really really early but if we get the PR then i dont want to be going over without either having a job or knowing that im gonna find one pretty rapidly!

Thanks again

Steve
Old Aug 9th 2004, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Steve

Not sure about engineering - I am in biotechnology/science myself, but have found this jobsite useful. At least it will give you an idea if there are the sort of jobs that you want in any areas that you are interested in

http://www.careerone.com.au/

Alastair
Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Al H
HI Steve

Not sure about engineering - I am in biotechnology/science myself, but have found this jobsite useful. At least it will give you an idea if there are the sort of jobs that you want in any areas that you are interested in

http://www.careerone.com.au/

Alastair
Thanks for that Alistair. i have made a note of it and will look soon. i gather engineering isnt a widespread industry/career in Oz?

Thanks

Steve