Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Jess3699 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

Originally Posted by louie
Are you sure, not that it matters? I've not had anyone stamp my (UK) passport leaving the UK for at least 30 years, maybe longer, nor has my husband.

As the others have said, go in and out of the UK using a UK passport, in and out of Australia and New Zealand with your NZ passport and every else, whichever comes to hand first. You're unlikely to go through immigration in Indonesia anyway.
I've just checked my british passport and nope got it wrong! I actually haven't got and entry/exit stamps- which is great! This gas solved my conundrum
If u didn't post- i would never have realized, so thank you!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

Originally Posted by fish.01
Is your stop in Jakarta just a transit, or are you clearing passport control and then checking in again for the leg to Perth on a different flight number ?

If you are just transiting through Jakarta airport on the same flight number to Australia, you would leave the UK on your NZ passport (ie show your kiwi passport at the check-in desk) as they wouldn't allow you to board the plane with just a British passport.
Just checked- it seems there are 2different flight numbers, so I'm not sure if i will have to go through immigration or passport control? As far as im concerned I'm just transiting.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

i exist therefore i passport
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Simply ask yourself what is going to give me the less jib. They cannot refuse entry to any country you hold a passport for. They can refuse entry if you turn up on a foreign passport.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess3699
Just checked- it seems there are 2different flight numbers, so I'm not sure if i will have to go through immigration or passport control? As far as im concerned I'm just transiting.
Yes, there would be 2 different flight numbers. You're going on two different flights.

However, unless you're actually going through Indonesian immigration and leaving the airport you are simply transiting. You will have to show a passport to board the plane (along with your boarding pass) that allows you to enter Australia. The airline won't let you on board otherwise. Unless you have a visa in your UK passport you will have to use your NZ one once you get to Jakarta.

Stop over thinking this. Use your NZ passport, forget you have a British passport and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

Thanks everyone for your replys, you've really helped I'm not worried now and know what to do! Good times!
Ow and berserk I'd appreciate it if you didn't bother to post negative sarcastic comments- i hope if you ever find yourself in a situation that is worrying you, you don't get someone posting silly remarks like you do- not helpful!
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:30 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

its best to use the passport you booked the flight with when you are in transit or it confuses them
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry! Blame my predictive text on my phone!
No worries, thought it looked a bit odd is all. Predictive text can be a pain sometimes.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

I am sorry! Blame my predictive text on my phone!
You did the first post on a phone? You deseve a medal.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
And possibly a new set of thumbs!
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes, there would be 2 different flight numbers. You're going on two different flights.

However, unless you're actually going through Indonesian immigration and leaving the airport you are simply transiting. You will have to show a passport to board the plane (along with your boarding pass) that allows you to enter Australia. The airline won't let you on board otherwise. Unless you have a visa in your UK passport you will have to use your NZ one once you get to Jakarta.

Stop over thinking this. Use your NZ passport, forget you have a British passport and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Book your flight out of the UK using your NZ passport number, check in using your NZ passport and enter and leave Australia on your NZ passport. If you try and use your British passport you'll need a visa or you won't be allowed to board the plane. You only need your British passport when you return to the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tartankoala
No worries, thought it looked a bit odd is all. Predictive text can be a pain sometimes.
Haha my phone is crazy- I've sent texts before and its hilarious what it comes out with
Old Jan 4th 2014, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Book your flight out of the UK using your NZ passport number, check in using your NZ passport and enter and leave Australia on your NZ passport. If you try and use your British passport you'll need a visa or you won't be allowed to board the plane. You only need your British passport when you return to the UK.
As louie said, would the OP need to show their British passport to passport control when leaving the UK because otherwise they will appear to have entered and lived in the UK without a valid visa if just showing NZ passport ?

I beginning to think correct procedure in UK is:
- check-in using NZ passport
- show british passport to passport control to exit properly AND ALSO show NZ passport to passport control to show they have authority to enter Australia otherwise they may be denied boarding ?

Anyone know for sure ?

Note also:
New Zealand citizens with tuberculosis or any criminal convictions (that resulted in imprisonment or a suspended sentence) should approach the nearest Australian immigration office to discuss their entry to Australia before travelling to Australia.
See: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.