Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Jess3699 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

Hi guys just wondering if anyone could give me some advice....

So I've got dual nationality- british ( which is where iv lived most of my life) and New zealand citizenship, i have passports for both in date,
Im going to Perth WA in October of this year to visit n stay with my cousin who I've never met in person! Then my plan is to go from there to New Zealand..
As i have just found out i will qualify for a special category visa, now I'm actually wanting to stay a while now maybe 6months to year in Australia now i know i can on this visa! However i have worrys....
From what I've read on the Internet, leave and exist a country on the same visa, i.e leave uk on british and if/when i come back enter on britsh. To get this special category visa i am going to enter Australia on my New Zealand passport, then exist australia on New Zealand passport then enter New Zealand on my New Zealand passport! Simple right? Wrong-
It seems if i do this and rock up at perth airport they will look at my nz passport and it will never have been used with no exist stamps so are going to get suspicious and ask questions, and the fact i have a nottingham accent! And they will probably tell the flight iv just got off hasn't come from New Zealand either. I've read on the Internet that you can be refused entry as there is no paper trail (exist enter stamps) on passport and looks suspicious and they have been forced to buy a ticket there and then on the spot back to the country they have just come from just to get a exist stamp in their passport before being allowed back into the country they were trying to get into...
So i have been thinking of leaving uk on New Zealand passport and arriving in Perth on the same passport ( New Zealand) this should not cause any problems except the fact iv got a british accent, but i could just have lived in uk for most of teenage/adult life n picked up accent right. But if i do this, when going back to uk, which i will eventually do to vist family, if i try entering uk on british passport they will be like a? U never left in the first place, because of again no paper trail, and could refuse me entry on this passport and then I'd have to use my New Zealand passport and buy a visa and be a temporary citizen in uk which im not.
I just don't want to shout around i have 2passports and dual nationality as iv been advised not to, even tho this is perfectly legal as they may insist i enter Australia on my british if they find out and then I'll have to buy a visa and i won't have the benefits kiwis get in Australia.
Sorry its a long post but I'm really stressed and losing sleep over this!!!!!
P.s i will be contacting the Australian high commission, NZ embassy and british embassy in the next few days, but I'm worried they will give conflicting advise, as from what i know its a very grey area dual nationality.

Many thanks Jess
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

It makes no difference. I leave Australia on my australian passport and enter Canada on my Canadian one whenever I travel. Leave the UK on either passport and enter Australia on your NZ one. Easy peasy
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

I think you are seriously over complicating this.

Enter and leave Australia on the NZ passport. It doesn't matter what you do anywhere else.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

So do I.

Check-in for your flight using the NZ passport. You won't be able to board the flight to Australia with a UK passport and no visa.

Exit UK on your UK passport.

Enter Australia on the NZ passport.

(Immigration here won't give a rats that you're an NZ citizen with a UK accent. They also won't give a rats that there's no entry stamp in the passport. I think more NZ citizens live overseas than in NZ anyway and they'd all be in the same situation as you when travelling. NZ citizens are allowed to travel around the world, you know - they're not restricted to travel to and from NZ only. )

Enter NZ on the NZ passport.

Enter UK on the UK passport.

Last edited by NickyC; Jan 3rd 2014 at 7:06 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

And as for having to have a UK exit stamp in your UK passport in order to enter the UK is absolute nonsense.

Millions of Australians have UK passports issued to them whilst they are living overseas (and Canadians and New Zealanders and just about every other country you could think of). None of them ever have any problems entering the UK for the first time on these passports - and none of them would have exit stamps as they were issued overseas.

And apart from that - when was the last time you got an exit stamp in your UK passport when leaving the UK?

Last edited by NickyC; Jan 3rd 2014 at 7:18 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

Originally Posted by NickyC
And as for having to have a UK exit stamp in your UK passport in order to enter the UK is absolute nonsense.

Millions of Australians have UK passports issued to them whilst they are living overseas (and Canadians and New Zealanders and just about every other country you could think of). None of them ever have any problems entering the UK for the first time on these passports - and none of them would have exit stamps as they were issued overseas.

And apart from that - when was the last time you got an exit stamp in your UK passport when leaving the UK?
The last time i got an exist stamp on british passport was last year (june2013) when i went on holiday to spain, thanks for your reply
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: dual citizenship-which passport to use to exist uk then enter Australia with?

Thanks for your replys everyone :-D I'm feeling a bit better now and not so anxious! I guess I've just read horror stories on the Internet
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:14 am
Just Joined

So just to clarify...
Im going to exist uk using british passport, then when i stop in jakata indonesia arrive on uk passport, then for connecting flight ( 3 hours wait and different planes)board flight to perth using nz passport and then obviously enter Australia on nz passport and exist on nz passport?
Thanks guys for your help!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you continually type "exist" instead of "exit"?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess3699
The last time i got an exist stamp on british passport was last year (june2013) when i went on holiday to spain, thanks for your reply
Are you sure, not that it matters? I've not had anyone stamp my (UK) passport leaving the UK for at least 30 years, maybe longer, nor has my husband.

As the others have said, go in and out of the UK using a UK passport, in and out of Australia and New Zealand with your NZ passport and every else, whichever comes to hand first. You're unlikely to go through immigration in Indonesia anyway.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess3699
So just to clarify...
Im going to exist uk using british passport, then when i stop in jakata indonesia arrive on uk passport, then for connecting flight ( 3 hours wait and different planes)board flight to perth using nz passport and then obviously enter Australia on nz passport and exist on nz passport?
Thanks guys for your help!
Is your stop in Jakarta just a transit, or are you clearing passport control and then checking in again for the leg to Perth on a different flight number ?

If you are just transiting through Jakarta airport on the same flight number to Australia, you would leave the UK on your NZ passport (ie show your kiwi passport at the check-in desk) as they wouldn't allow you to board the plane with just a British passport.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Are you sure, not that it matters? I've not had anyone stamp my (UK) passport leaving the UK for at least 30 years, maybe longer, nor has my husband.

As the others have said, go in and out of the UK using a UK passport, in and out of Australia and New Zealand with your NZ passport and every else, whichever comes to hand first. You're unlikely to go through immigration in Indonesia anyway.
Out of the UK on NZ passport I would have thought ? Ie NZ passport when checking in, boarding plane etc.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Out of the UK on NZ passport I would have thought ? Ie NZ passport when checking in, boarding plane etc.
I'm talking about which passport she shows to immigration. She can show a different one when checking in or boarding the aircraft.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, you're definitely overthinking this! You've got the gen above!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Why do you continually type "exist" instead of "exit"?
I am sorry! Blame my predictive text on my phone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.