Doubts

Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:55 am
Just Joined

summer_interlude is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Doubts

Hi, can you pls tell me how often does the passmarks for Onshore Skill Independent change? It's going to change next year, in April 2005. And the last time was in 2002, and what's before that, 2000?? I'm asking this because I'm thinking of studying in Australia.

Another thing. Let's say I'm 34 yrs and 7 mths old when I apply, do I go under the 30 to 34 age range?

Thanks a ton...
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doubts

Originally Posted by summer_interlude
Hi, can you pls tell me how often does the passmarks for Onshore Skill Independent change? It's going to change next year, in April 2005. And the last time was in 2002, and what's before that, 2000?? I'm asking this because I'm thinking of studying in Australia.
The skilled migration system (in its current form) was set up on 1 July 1999. The pass mark increases for students have been in May 2002 and (scheduled) April 2005.

There is no guarantee about future pass mark rises - both the 2002 and 2005 increases have affected many students, who have had to go home as a result (or who will have to).

Studying in Australia with the intention of getting PR is a risky exercise. And a very expensive mistake if it doesn't work.

Another thing. Let's say I'm 34 yrs and 7 mths old when I apply, do I go under the 30 to 34 age range?

Thanks a ton...
Date you lodge a valid application for a PR visa is what counts. You lose points on your 35th birthday.

However it's the date of application for a *PR* visa that counts:
- not the date you get your student visa
- not the date you complete your course or graduate
- not the date you apply for or receive the Graduate Skilled Temporary visa

And there are strict rules that stop you applying early.

If you're a teacher why not look at alternatives, eg a job offer in regional Australia will let you get PR through the RSMS straight away. Or try the STNI visa if you can get a state nomination from SA/Vic/Tas? Or as a fall-back, have you looked at the SIR visa?

Jeremy
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

It looks as if it changes every 3 years or so. The time it takes to do a complete undergraduate degree.

I'm not a teacher yet, but hope to become one by studying in Oz. Thanks for the reply, pls keep those replies coming...
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by summer_interlude
It looks as if it changes every 3 years or so. The time it takes to do a complete undergraduate degree.

I'm not a teacher yet, but hope to become one by studying in Oz. Thanks for the reply, pls keep those replies coming...

Why not train in your home country, get some work experience, and then migrate if eligible at that point? Are qualifications from your country not recognised in Australia?

Jeremy
Old Dec 9th 2004, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Maybe it does, but I would not want to be trained in a social system where the population is taught what to think.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

And also, to be trained in my home country, we have to be bonded for another 3 years. That's 1 yr of training, and then 3 years of bond; a total of 4 years trapped.