British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Don't bother with the Student visa! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/dont-bother-student-visa-551479/)

sambo76 Jul 26th 2008 10:29 pm

Don't bother with the Student visa!

Just a quick post to all those thinking about studying in Australia with a view to PR. I really wouldn't recommend it. You will spend thousands upon thousands of pounds on a course and many more thousands on living here. We have spent our life savings and may have to go home at the end of it. There is no guarantee of getting in and things are changing all the time. It is much harder to get in now and it only looks like it is getting worse for the future.

My advise is to train in the UK and apply when you have a proper chance of getting in. Don't risk your house and your savings on something which is so unstable. :(

pumpkin blossom Jul 26th 2008 11:14 pm

Re: Don't bother with the Student visa!

Advice from another student, DO IT!!!
The only extra we have spent than we would have done coming over anyway is the money for our course. Of course we don't have kids to pay for, so money much better for us, and we have both found part time work so easily covering our expenses.
No guarentee we will be able to stay, but worth the risk.

lee28 Jul 27th 2008 2:07 am

I would say do it as a calculated risk, set out with the view that you are paying for a 2 year holiday in Oz and are allowed to work for 20hrs a week each and have to pay for everything. you might get residency if your lucky but worst of all make a plan B just in case.

If it is too much of a risk then stay and study in the UK and get your work experiance. May take years and years but if you want to move that much then Australia will still be here in 7 years. Make every decision count and dont set up shop here till you have your PR. And for the love of GOD do your HOMEWORK.

We have friends on the same route who are still spending on there UK credit cards into the thousands cause they beleive they will get PR at the end.

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 2:13 am

Don't do it????!!!
Not likely!!!!

So what if it skints us, there's only us 2 to think about, and if we don't get PR then we'll make damn sure we'll have had the time of our lives trying.
It'll be hard expensive work, but you only live once. If we have to come back to the UK penniless then so what. We'll start again.
Those with children might find it a bit more difficult though.

Rossi7 Jul 27th 2008 6:45 am

Originally Posted by tasmas (Post 6615850)
Don't do it????!!!
Not likely!!!!

So what if it skints us, there's only us 2 to think about, and if we don't get PR then we'll make damn sure we'll have had the time of our lives trying.
It'll be hard expensive work, but you only live once. If we have to come back to the UK penniless then so what. We'll start again.
Those with children might find it a bit more difficult though.

Good for you , that's how we feel , if the house goes we are going for it , we have the same opinion as you , you only live once and at worst we'll have 2-3 years somewhere we love and we'll have a ball whilst we're there .we have a 14 year old son and he is massively excited about the whole thing .:)

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Rossi7 (Post 6616375)
Good for you , that's how we feel , if the house goes we are going for it , we have the same opinion as you , you only live once and at worst we'll have 2-3 years somewhere we love and we'll have a ball whilst we're there .we have a 14 year old son and he is massively excited about the whole thing .:)

Gotta give it a go. Going off the subject - Rossi fan? OH just sold his R1, money in bank for Oz and I don't have to worry for a while!!

Rossi7 Jul 27th 2008 7:31 am

Originally Posted by tasmas (Post 6616421)
Gotta give it a go. Going off the subject - Rossi fan? OH just sold his R1, money in bank for Oz and I don't have to worry for a while!!

I am , but just a coincidence have my licence but no bike at present :(

My surname is Ross and my nickname is , yes you guessed it Rossi , the 7 is becausee my son is a number 7 ( Rugby League Scrum Half )

Where are you palnning on going at what are you gonna do ??

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Rossi7 (Post 6616514)
I am , but just a coincidence have my licence but no bike at present :(

My surname is Ross and my nickname is , yes you guessed it Rossi , the 7 is becausee my son is a number 7 ( Rugby League Scrum Half )

Where are you palnning on going at what are you gonna do ??

Ooops. Show what assuming does!!!!

Planning on hairdressing, gold coast. What about you, is you or the wife thats studying?:D

Rossi7 Jul 27th 2008 7:44 am

I am planning on studying Horticulture ( office based at the moment and fancy a big change! ) , we are also going to the Gold Coast
will cost cost us an arm and a leg but that's the deal unfortunately.

Are you studying at a TAFE college ?

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Rossi7 (Post 6616560)
I am planning on studying Horticulture ( office based at the moment and fancy a big change! ) , we are also going to the Gold Coast
will cost cost us an arm and a leg but that's the deal unfortunately.

Are you studying at a TAFE college ?

I'll PM you instead of hijacking this thread.

shark bait Jul 27th 2008 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sambo76 (Post 6615295)
Just a quick post to all those thinking about studying in Australia with a view to PR. I really wouldn't recommend it. You will spend thousands upon thousands of pounds on a course and many more thousands on living here. We have spent our life savings and may have to go home at the end of it. There is no guarantee of getting in and things are changing all the time. It is much harder to get in now and it only looks like it is getting worse for the future.

My advise is to train in the UK and apply when you have a proper chance of getting in. Don't risk your house and your savings on something which is so unstable. :(

thanks ! :(
i feel totally depressed now.
as i,m starting my 2 yr student visa in jan.

anyone over there will a sucsess story to tell us about gaining pr on a student visa??

stumpysean Jul 27th 2008 9:18 am

Originally Posted by shark bait (Post 6616862)
thanks ! :(
i feel totally depressed now.
as i,m starting my 2 yr student visa in jan.

anyone over there will a sucsess story to tell us about gaining pr on a student visa??

Tried to depress me earlier too, don't let them!

Go for it mate...... as i said before those you don't have the guts to do it for themsleves always spoil it for others.

If it's what you want, go for it. :thumbsup:

shark bait Jul 27th 2008 9:33 am

your right :thumbup:
go to go will the 'glass is half full' attitude.
I,m not expecting an easy time on a student visa , its definnatly going to cost a lot especially with a family , but retraining in the uk would take 5 years.

anyone else starting at Nambour in January?

stumpysean Jul 27th 2008 9:41 am

Originally Posted by shark bait (Post 6616916)
your right :thumbup:
go to go will the 'glass is half full' attitude.
I,m not expecting an easy time on a student visa , its definnatly going to cost a lot especially with a family , but retraining in the uk would take 5 years.

anyone else starting at Nambour in January?

Well, was looking at hairdressing but the college i was going to enrol at is up for sale! so who knows what we're doing now!

Hubby is now thinking about the horticulture course at nambour. He's unsure at the momnet as its years since he's been at school and he's 40yrs old!

What do reckon?;)

shark bait Jul 27th 2008 9:51 am

I,m starting the horticulture course in Jan.
love the great outdoors.
better than being couped up in an office or warehouse!
Being 40 is not a problem .
that when life begins isn't it. :D

stumpysean Jul 27th 2008 10:24 am

Originally Posted by shark bait (Post 6616966)
I,m starting the horticulture course in Jan.
love the great outdoors.
better than being couped up in an office or warehouse!
Being 40 is not a problem .
that when life begins isn't it. :D

Yes very true, we were just a bit worried that when it came to applying for PR he would struggle on the points! also the thought for him of returning to 'school' frightens him to death!

But what with all the changes that the TRA are bringing in with the 900hrs having to be paid we are thinking that doing the horticulture course is likely to be easier to get the paid work experience attached?

hairdressing salons are happy to give you the work experience but not so happy to pay!

We are wating to sell our house at the moment so haven't enrolled yet. i think we'll speak to stefan at study options and get his opinion tomorrow.

Jumpy Jul 27th 2008 10:49 am

I wouldn't say to anyone not to go for it,but it's expensive,and there could be more changes.eveyone makes their own decisions.We have 2 young kids ,so school fees,trying to work around school times etc is difficult.If only 2 of you,should be a lot easier.

stumpysean Jul 27th 2008 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Jumpy (Post 6617076)
I wouldn't say to anyone not to go for it,but it's expensive,and there could be more changes.eveyone makes their own decisions.We have 2 young kids ,so school fees,trying to work around school times etc is difficult.If only 2 of you,should be a lot easier.

Unfortunately there are 4 of us! We have 2 kids in tow too! thats why we desperately want to make the right decsion. I've heard that its very difficult to get 'paid' work experience in a hairdressers unless you're qualified? that's why i'm wondering whether it's better that hubby does the horticulture course instead of me doing the hairdresing. That way the job is still on the MODL and we have gained points by it being in a regional area for study. Eventhough he is older we will have lost points from that prospective we won't be much worse off because we'll be regional.;)

goldchoccycoin Jul 27th 2008 11:19 am

I can highly recommend the student to PR route - if you have no other choice. Yes, it's expensive and hard work but so worth it. I don't want to be anywhere else!

I suggest considering a non-trade route (nursing maybe) if you are worried about the TRA route. Nursing is unlikely to go off the MODL and will pay better in the long term than hairdressing.

Good luck all!

Jumpy Jul 27th 2008 11:20 am

Some people we know are getting paid for their hours in Hairdressing,but not much,most of them are doing work experience unpaid.It is just difficult,you have to be lucky with a salon. Don't know much about Horticulture course or work in this field,but I'am sure someone does.It is all a big chance we are all taking,but if it's your only chance you have to take it.

sambo76 Jul 27th 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6616877)
Tried to depress me earlier too, don't let them!

Go for it mate...... as i said before those you don't have the guts to do it for themsleves always spoil it for others.

If it's what you want, go for it. :thumbsup:

Strange that its ''those you don't have the guts to do it for themsleves'' who are saying to think twice about a student visa eh?

stumpysean Jul 27th 2008 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by sambo76 (Post 6617135)
Strange that its ''those you don't have the guts to do it for themsleves'' who are saying to think twice about a student visa eh?

you seem to be the only one putting a spanner in the works and making people feel that its not worth it. there are some on here that are about to give up eveything they've ever worked for. A little support goes a long way ;)

Pollyana Jul 27th 2008 7:19 pm

Pleas don't squabble over it guys - from long experience on here it's clear that the student route works for some but not for others. Costs can vary tremendously depending on wwhether you bring kids with you, and on what State you go to.
Anyone who has followed Paul & Nic's story over the years will have read about just how hard it can be, and it sounds like that's what Sambo is trying to say. Anyone following the student route needs to think very very hard before doing it, especially as it now harder to get PR from it.

I'm not saying "don't do it" but please do the research thoroughly first!

sambo76 Jul 27th 2008 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6617835)
you seem to be the only one putting a spanner in the works and making people feel that its not worth it. there are some on here that are about to give up eveything they've ever worked for. A little support goes a long way ;)

We totally understand that people are willing to tgive up everything, apologies if it doesn't seem that way; we have done it already so believe me, we know! However, this is how it stands:
You need 900 hours experience during the course to satisfy the TRA, as currently there isn't a visa you can transfer onto afterwards to do so. In most trades the individual may find it hard to gain the right kind of experience as they are not yet qualified. The TRA are looking very carefully at the specific roles undertaken during the 900 to ensure they are relevant; it will be very difficult and in some trades impossible, to gain the experience in these circumstance as the indiviudals will be unlicenced/unqualified and therefore most employers won't/couldn't offer the placements.

If people are looking to study in a regional location to gain the extra points, think of the competition the new ruling will create for the work experience options. Every international student on every trade course will be seeking employment and the work just won't be there; there are currently about half a million overseas students enrolling on courses every year.

Most employers offering work experience to students will not be giving them the same work as would if they were qualified in that field (in most cases doing so would breach upteen workplace laws) and so will the TRA still accept this as experience???

Our opinion is from another perspective as we are here on a student visa, and could well be affected by these changes (although we luckily have other options). However if your dream is to live in Oz, and not to become an international student; this option a a MASSIVE risk, not just to getting PR but to losing a sizeable portion of your savings or more. I would strongly recommend considering other options of getting here if DIAC don't unveil a visa option to allow post study work experience. There are so many people we know that are now having to face the very real possibility of returning to the UK with nothing apart from a qualification in something they don't necessarily want to do. They have lost homes and savings by taking the risk, and believe me if you asked them if they thought is was worth the risk, they would agree with us. These people were you and me a couple of years ago, and could be you in the future.

I'm more than aware that people are willing to give up everything they've ever worked for, hence the need for the eye opener. The visas and TRA have changed twice since we've been here, and so assessing a move to Oz on the current DIAC/TRA requirements is pointless, it will change again before you apply, perhaps in your favour, perhaps not.

I hope this helps as we have seen the reality of the these TRA changes first hand; you could lose everything and be back in the UK in two years.

pumpkin blossom Jul 27th 2008 7:33 pm

I would rather loose everything (which realisticly we are NOWHERE near as there are only two of us and we are both working which is covering all bills and treats) and have to go back to the UK knowing I tried eveything I could to get here, rather than wonder in years time what could have been.

And the regional bit and fighting for jobs, here in Adealide there are a grand total of 15 of us doing horticulture. Not too much competition (although they are advertising more courses, so in the future who knows).

stumpysean Jul 27th 2008 8:04 pm

Yes i know what you're saying. But when you read 'don't do it' at 1am in the morning when you're selling your house, have sold your business, your kids are looking forward to a new life in Oz and everything else, its like being punched in the face!

I'm sure the 'others' will stick up for me and say we don't mind the negatives being put across and you stating whats what but saying 'don't do it' and 'its not worth it' just makes our stomachs sink.

I think i slept about 3 or 4 hrs last night worrying about what to do. I'm sure i'd be better not even reading half of this stuff. What do people do who don't know about this site? I'm sure they go and just get on with it!;) they don't have half the sleepless nights i do im sure!

sambo76 Jul 27th 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6618042)

I think i slept about 3 or 4 hrs last night worrying about what to do. I'm sure i'd be better not even reading half of this stuff. What do people do who don't know about this site? I'm sure they go and just get on with it!;) they don't have half the sleepless nights i do im sure!

You're probably right, but most of the people we know who are now 'up the creek' as it stands didn't research on sites like this etc, so even coming armed with both sides of the story is an asset. The sad fact is, things have changed since a lot of people decided to try this route, and now everyone needs to look at their own individual situation and see if it is still a viable option. I would say if you were in Pumpkin Blossom's position, then yes it is. She has plenty of cash to support her, no kids to worry about, and chose the only capital that is also classed as regional and a course with low student numbers. I can tell you of ten negative stories I have heard however to every positive since the unveiling of the Sept 1st changes. Fingers crossed DIAC change the visa policy in line with TRA requirements and sort this shit out! I'm sure something will happen as income from internatioanl students is in the billions per annum here; they'd be mad to risk that wouldn't they?

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6618042)
Yes i know what you're saying. But when you read 'don't do it' at 1am in the morning when you're selling your house, have sold your business, your kids are looking forward to a new life in Oz and everything else, its like being punched in the face!

I'm sure the 'others' will stick up for me and say we don't mind the negatives being put across and you stating whats what but saying 'don't do it' and 'its not worth it' just makes our stomachs sink.

Well said Becks:thumbsup::wub:

PaulandNic Jul 27th 2008 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6617032)
also the thought for him of returning to 'school' frightens him to death!

I left school at 15, and returned at 36 ... :eek:

Tell him not to worry, it's not that bad ... :)

Originally Posted by tking (Post 6617119)
I can highly recommend the student to PR route - if you have no other choice. Yes, it's expensive and hard work but so worth it. I don't want to be anywhere else!

I suggest considering a non-trade route (nursing maybe) if you are worried about the TRA route. Nursing is unlikely to go off the MODL and will pay better in the long term than hairdressing.

Good luck all!

Ditto all of this, and coming from someone who's been through it all!

Don't get me wrong, it was probably the most stressful thing we've both been through, but as it was our ONLY chance we was happy to throw every penny at getting PR in Australia. We was skint well before the end of my course, but we got there all the same ... :)

If I was to do it again I too think I'd look for something that the TRA didn't assess. Nursing has been mentioned, and I'd seriously consider that over hairdressing with the current state of play ... ;)

I've said many a time on here that if we was unlucky enough to fail, then at least we had 2 years plus in this lovely country, and gave it our best shot!

We took our 2 teenage kids out of a very good UK school and even bought the dog!

If like us it's your only shot at PR in Australia, and you want it bad enough! ... then you GOTTA give it a go!

One thing I WILL say. ANYONE who gets their PR through study, will appreciate it soooo much more over the rest as you'll know you have earned it!

Good luck all.

Jumpy Jul 27th 2008 8:56 pm

We also know a lot of people really worried about the changes,as we are,lucky that my wife can get her 900hrs by the middle of Aug,and get it lodged with the tra as soon as possible.They are still taking applications under the old system untill the end of Aug.Just hope she gets a positive reply.

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 8:58 pm

Awwhh come on everybody it'll be alright!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Sell your house, take your money, get there, and then work your bloody hardest to stay there. Simple.

Don't take the edge off the dream by making yourselves ill with worry.
I think if you are a strong couple/family, you can get through anything.

welshoz Jul 27th 2008 11:05 pm

Hi all,

I have recently finshed (4 months ago ) my hairdressing course,and am now waiting patiently for my P.R. The course which I gotta say was stressful and hated the fact i was away from my then 10 month old and 2 yr old. I was lucky that both my kids where not in school and my hubbie was a house husband, he also worked part-time.

For me i gotta say the hardest was the 900hours. Not to sure on all these new changes, for clarity ring tra direct at early hours of the morning. Yes the dimia and tra change rules fairly often but surely they wont make it impossible for most people as international students are a huge money earner.

When you guys get here and see what this beautiful place has to offer you and your children, you wont look back, you'll just work hard to be able to stay here and whatever changes the gov throw at you then just deal with them at the time.

Goodluck and do what you feel is right.

KatieX

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by welshoz (Post 6618549)
Hi all,

I have recently finshed (4 months ago ) my hairdressing course,and am now waiting patiently for my P.R. The course which I gotta say was stressful and hated the fact i was away from my then 10 month old and 2 yr old. I was lucky that both my kids where not in school and my hubbie was a house husband, he also worked part-time.

For me i gotta say the hardest was the 900hours. Not to sure on all these new changes, for clarity ring tra direct at early hours of the morning. Yes the dimia and tra change rules fairly often but surely they wont make it impossible for most people as international students are a huge money earner.

When you guys get here and see what this beautiful place has to offer you and your children, you wont look back, you'll just work hard to be able to stay here and whatever changes the gov throw at you then just deal with them at the time.

Goodluck and do what you feel is right.

KatieX

Thank you Katie, what a lovely post.

Did your hubby find part time work OK?

Tracy;)

welshoz Jul 27th 2008 11:26 pm

It is actually harder than people think to find in local papers most is done word of mouth to be honest, the more people you meet, they will know someone that needs part time shift work.

One of my college mates her hubbie done night work in a garage but didnt last long was to hard as they had kids and he had to look after them aswell in the day.

Where are you planning to study? and what?

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by welshoz (Post 6618610)
It is actually harder than people think to find in local papers most is done word of mouth to be honest, the more people you meet, they will know someone that needs part time shift work.

One of my college mates her hubbie done night work in a garage but didnt last long was to hard as they had kids and he had to look after them aswell in the day.

Where are you planning to study? and what?

Well, hairdressing on the gold coast, it was going to be Brishair but could also be the TAFE at Ashmore. Fingers crossed, when all the planets align, house sells, finish work etc etc:unsure::huh:

tracy

welshoz Jul 27th 2008 11:35 pm

Good luck with everything, i did mine in Brisbane, but now live on sunshine coast.

TAFE is a safe bet, all the best. PM if you need any help with anything.

KatieX:thumbsup:

tasmas Jul 27th 2008 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by welshoz (Post 6618638)
Good luck with everything, i did mine in Brisbane, but now live on sunshine coast.

TAFE is a safe bet, all the best. PM if you need any help with anything.

KatieX:thumbsup:

Thank you so much

Good luck for your PR. Hope it all works out well for you and your family. Did you do yours at the TAFE?
Tracy

balkanghost Jul 28th 2008 3:12 am

I will put my two bob's worth in as an education agency which liaises with many TAFEs etc. and Australian.

Several TAFE International personnel complain or highlight fact that student candidates often do not access good migration advice, especially if you borderline on points.....and everything can go off the rails.....they must return home after study....

Most education institutions and education agents cannot advise on migration (in Australia at least) but if borderline you should seek advice from a recommended MARA agent.....they can advise if study pathway worthwhile or not, often may need tweaking or extra study.

Regarding training or work competition from other international students, sure there is in most cities and other areas e.g. Gold Coast. However, being from the bush, Yarrawonga to be exact, there are many regional cities with skill shortages perfect for international candidates.

Problem in Australia is these regional cities do not know how to access prospective international candidates and vice versa.

We are trying to encourage education institutions in regional areas with CRICOS courses to find local employers willing to sponsor study candidates. Simply because international candidates paying fees are more "committed" than locals e.g. 50% of Oz apprentices drop out within first year's training.....

Other advantages of regional are (generally), especially for family units, lower cost of living, lower cost of housing, good schools and health services, quality of life, recreation opps and easier to meet people i.e. build social networks much more quickly compared to cities.

TAFEs we are trying to talk with are Northern QLD, Southern QLD, North Coast NSW i.e. Port Macquarie etc. (hidden jewel!!), Riverina NSW i.e. Wagga Wagga/Griffith, then Victoria i.e. Sunraysia/Mildura, Gordon/Geelong, Albury/Wodonga etc.

But don't hold your breath..... :)

PuneetGaba Jul 28th 2008 4:58 am

Originally Posted by balkanghost (Post 6619347)
I will put my two bob's worth in as an education agency which liaises with many TAFEs etc. and Australian.

Several TAFE International personnel complain or highlight fact that student candidates often do not access good migration advice, especially if you borderline on points.....and everything can go off the rails.....they must return home after study....

Most education institutions and education agents cannot advise on migration (in Australia at least) but if borderline you should seek advice from a recommended MARA agent.....they can advise if study pathway worthwhile or not, often may need tweaking or extra study.

Regarding training or work competition from other international students, sure there is in most cities and other areas e.g. Gold Coast. However, being from the bush, Yarrawonga to be exact, there are many regional cities with skill shortages perfect for international candidates.

Problem in Australia is these regional cities do not know how to access prospective international candidates and vice versa.

We are trying to encourage education institutions in regional areas with CRICOS courses to find local employers willing to sponsor study candidates. Simply because international candidates paying fees are more "committed" than locals e.g. 50% of Oz apprentices drop out within first year's training.....

Other advantages of regional are (generally), especially for family units, lower cost of living, lower cost of housing, good schools and health services, quality of life, recreation opps and easier to meet people i.e. build social networks much more quickly compared to cities.

TAFEs we are trying to talk with are Northern QLD, Southern QLD, North Coast NSW i.e. Port Macquarie etc. (hidden jewel!!), Riverina NSW i.e. Wagga Wagga/Griffith, then Victoria i.e. Sunraysia/Mildura, Gordon/Geelong, Albury/Wodonga etc.

But don't hold your breath..... :)

Pls excuse me for going off the board, but just wanted to ask a quick question related to the 2 year full time education rule in Australia.

Does one need to complete the 2 year study consecutively or can one for example do one year full time cert III in cookery, take a year's break and then complete the remaining one year Diploma in Hospitality to be eligible for PR. Any reply would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

tasmas Jul 28th 2008 5:02 am

Originally Posted by PuneetGaba (Post 6619738)
Pls excuse me for going off the board, but just wanted to ask a quick question related to the 2 year full time education rule in Australia.

Does one need to complete the 2 year study consecutively or can one for example do one year full time cert III in cookery, take a year's break and then complete the remaining one year Diploma in Hospitality to be eligible for PR. Any reply would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

As far as I understand it - your visa only lasts for the time you are in study, plus maybe a couple of months at the end (if it falls right in the year). So no I don't think you'd be able to do that. But maybe someone will wander along in a minute and correct me. Someone a bit more in the know!!!

Tracy