Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

DHL won't courier my banker's draft to DIAC!?

DHL won't courier my banker's draft to DIAC!?

Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:05 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default DHL won't courier my banker's draft to DIAC!?

Anyone else come across this problem? We have made out a banker's draft to DIAC to send along with our paper based ENS 120 and DHL said that unless the banker's draft was made out to a person (and not DIAC), they couldn't carry it!?

Anyone else encountered the same problem, if so, which other courier did you use?

A really pee'd off Jenski! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nice
Default Re: DHL won't courier my banker's draft to DIAC!?

That's really bizarre! How does DHL even know what's inside your envelope? Just seal the envelope and try a different courier, just classify the contents as a visa application.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:24 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pietie
That's really bizarre! How does DHL even know what's inside your envelope? Just seal the envelope and try a different courier, just classify the contents as a visa application.
I stupidly told them...if I was to phone back up they'd already know my name etc, GRR lol
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

We did't send a BD but I did not specify what was in the envelope other than "application documents"........just use someone else Jen....maybe Fedex or one of the other more well known couriers!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:25 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by shirlw
We did't send a BD but I did not specify what was in the envelope other than "application documents"........just use someone else Jen....maybe Fedex or one of the other more well known couriers!
I'm gonna phone back up 2moro and act dumb, and hope my details aren't on their system anymore lol
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Yep best thing to do! DHL must be making a small fortune out of us immigrants too
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I'm gonna phone back up 2moro and act dumb, and hope my details aren't on their system anymore lol
Passports,DDs kinda they wont carry as per rule but I use to send thru them only simply declare as docs.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:53 am
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

Anyone else come across this problem? We have made out a banker's draft to DIAC to send along with our paper based ENS 120 and DHL said that unless the banker's draft was made out to a person (and not DIAC), they couldn't carry it!?

Anyone else encountered the same problem, if so, which other courier did you use?

A really pee'd off Jenski! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Odd.. specially for them to say they'd deliever it if it was addressed to a person and not DIAC
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:03 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Sorted, so far...
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I love their online tracking,it is invaluable and very informative.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pietie
Couriers don't allow the carriage of cash or bankers drafts as a rule (I used to work for UPS). You are obliged to declare the items you are sending. It is to avoid fraud. If you try and send it without declaring it has a bankers draft and the parcel goes missing, potentailly you could lose the money. DHL or any other courier will not re-imburse you if that happens.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:03 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by slackbloke
Couriers don't allow the carriage of cash or bankers drafts as a rule (I used to work for UPS). You are obliged to declare the items you are sending. It is to avoid fraud. If you try and send it without declaring it has a bankers draft and the parcel goes missing, potentailly you could lose the money. DHL or any other courier will not re-imburse you if that happens.
So why do DIAC say u can pay by banker's draft then, if there's no way of getting it to them safely, with your paperwork!? I'm not shooting the messenger (get it!? ) here, I'm actually very curious how I'm meant to go about doing this then!?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe they should update their criteria and perhaps stipulate credit card only or something.I guess what it boils down to is trust........in the postal/courier service and in the recipient.Although if a BD is made out to someone/something surely no-one else can cash it and it would be a case of cancellation with your bank without risk to you if it were to go astray?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

So why do DIAC say u can pay by banker's draft then, if there's no way of getting it to them safely, with your paperwork!? I'm not shooting the messenger (get it!? ) here, I'm actually very curious how I'm meant to go about doing this then!?
I guess the applicants aren't necessarily all from outside Australia or may use the regular mail service. I don't know how you can do it, must be plenty of people on here who have done a paper based application and can give advice.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shirlw
Maybe they should update their criteria and perhaps stipulate credit card only or something.I guess what it boils down to is trust........in the postal/courier service and in the recipient.Although if a BD is made out to someone/something surely no-one else can cash it and it would be a case of cancellation with your bank without risk to you if it were to go astray?
The simple answer is it is not easy to cancel a bankers draft. Add to that fraud of a bankers draft becomes a lot easier when you are in posession of an original one.