Desperately seeking advice

Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:14 am
Just Joined

daisydau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperately seeking advice

I am hoping that someone can provide some advice for our immigration dilemma. My boyfriend has just completed a year's study here in Australia (under a student visa) and has returned home to Belfast as per the demands of his visa. He wants to return to live in Australia permanently and this is where our problems start. What is the quickest way for us to get back together here permanently? He has just completed a teaching degree, but obviously doesn't have any teaching experience as yet. Does this mean we will have to wait for 12 months for him to gain some experience before he can apply for a skilled migrant visa? He has a brother who is a permanent Australian resident. If he was prepared to sponsor him would we still have to wait until he gained practical experience in the teaching field? Or should we try and go for a partner visa (as prospective fiance) - would that be the quickest route and would that allow him to teach here if he is accepted under this visa?
I know this is a whole raft of questions, and I will admit I am effectively clueless on these issues, but I would be happy if anyone could provide some general assistance. Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:29 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperately seeking advice

Originally Posted by daisydau
I am hoping that someone can provide some advice for our immigration dilemma. My boyfriend has just completed a year's study here in Australia (under a student visa) and has returned home to Belfast as per the demands of his visa. He wants to return to live in Australia permanently and this is where our problems start. What is the quickest way for us to get back together here permanently? He has just completed a teaching degree, but obviously doesn't have any teaching experience as yet. Does this mean we will have to wait for 12 months for him to gain some experience before he can apply for a skilled migrant visa? He has a brother who is a permanent Australian resident. If he was prepared to sponsor him would we still have to wait until he gained practical experience in the teaching field? Or should we try and go for a partner visa (as prospective fiance) - would that be the quickest route and would that allow him to teach here if he is accepted under this visa?
I know this is a whole raft of questions, and I will admit I am effectively clueless on these issues, but I would be happy if anyone could provide some general assistance. Thanks
I would go the spouse route as long as you can prove 12 months relationship and are prepared to marry.
In saying this, perhaps someone in the teaching field may have a different idea.good luck
Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Daisy

On the skilled side of things from outside Australia, he would need to be recognised as a Teacher (usually a 4 year teaching degree or 3 year degre plus 1 year PGCE) and then have 12 months teaching experience, before he could possibly qualify for any skilled off-shore visa.

Could apply for fiance visa through London, they are pretty quick to process and he would get a 9 month visa allowing him to work from arrival with the condition you get married and apply for a spouse visa before the 9 months expires.

Another possible avenue is to complete anothr 12 month course which could then give him 2 years of study in Australia and would then give him an experience waiver. This third option needs to be explored in detail with an on-shore Registered Migration Agent.

Regards

Tony
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
I would go the spouse route as long as you can prove 12 months relationship and are prepared to marry.
In saying this, perhaps someone in the teaching field may have a different idea.good luck
If he comes on a Prospective Marriage Visa (fiance visa) you don't need the 12 months together, you just need to prove you have met. Then - as Tony says - you get 9 months for him to get here, marry you, and apply for the full spouse visa.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

WESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud of

De facto spouse might be your best and least expensive strategy. Get an analysis of your case from a Registered Migration Agent.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

India44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WESTLY
De facto spouse might be your best and least expensive strategy. Get an analysis of your case from a Registered Migration Agent.
marry him ;-)
Old Dec 20th 2005, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

WESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by India44
marry him ;-)
You cannot marry someone unless you are a marriage celebrant.

Couples wed each other, celebrants marry them.

Whether this is likely to be a beneficial strategy depends on the circumstances of the case.

Westly Russell
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

My two cents on this would be if you intend on getting married then the fiance/prospective spouse visa might be the simplest route and it's quite fast processing from what I've seem from people on BE.

Now for a bit of off-topic commentary - sorry I couldn't resist!

---

Ah, symantics at work! Here's the Webster's definition of the word "marry":

Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): mar·ried; mar·ry·ing
Etymology: Middle English marien, from Old French marier, from Latin maritare, from maritus married
transitive senses
1 a : to join as husband and wife according to law or custom b : to give in marriage <married his daughter to his partner's son> c : to take as spouse : WED <married the girl next door> d : to perform the ceremony of marriage for <a priest will marry them> e : to obtain by marriage <marry wealth>
2 : to unite in close and usually permanent relation
intransitive senses
1 : to take a spouse : WED
2 : COMBINE, UNITE <seafood marries with other flavors>
- marry into : to become a member of by marriage <married into a prominent family>

Clearly India44s intended usage of the term was 1(c) while you seem to have viewed it at 1(d). Both are accurate, but clearly India44 intended the 1(c) usage.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by WESTLY
You cannot marry someone unless you are a marriage celebrant.

Couples wed each other, celebrants marry them.

Whether this is likely to be a beneficial strategy depends on the circumstances of the case.

Westly Russell
Old Dec 20th 2005, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

India44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brian0
My two cents on this would be if you intend on getting married then the fiance/prospective spouse visa might be the simplest route and it's quite fast processing from what I've seem from people on BE.

Now for a bit of off-topic commentary - sorry I couldn't resist!

---

Ah, symantics at work! Here's the Webster's definition of the word "marry":

Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): mar·ried; mar·ry·ing
Etymology: Middle English marien, from Old French marier, from Latin maritare, from maritus married
transitive senses
1 a : to join as husband and wife according to law or custom b : to give in marriage <married his daughter to his partner's son> c : to take as spouse : WED <married the girl next door> d : to perform the ceremony of marriage for <a priest will marry them> e : to obtain by marriage <marry wealth>
2 : to unite in close and usually permanent relation
intransitive senses
1 : to take a spouse : WED
2 : COMBINE, UNITE <seafood marries with other flavors>
- marry into : to become a member of by marriage <married into a prominent family>

Clearly India44s intended usage of the term was 1(c) while you seem to have viewed it at 1(d). Both are accurate, but clearly India44 intended the 1(c) usage.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Cheers,
Brian
*L* thanx Brian I knew what I meant.. wed him, marry him staple yoruself to him what ever the hell you have to to to get him back here and keep him!!!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:08 am
Just Joined

daisydau is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Desperately seeking advice

Originally Posted by India44
*L* thanx Brian I knew what I meant.. wed him, marry him staple yoruself to him what ever the hell you have to to to get him back here and keep him!!!!
*L* Thanks indeed Brian. As an English teacher the semantics of it all are incredibly amusing. And I of course knew exactly what my cheeky, dear friend India44 meant - the bold woman that she is! And yes - the staple option is looking to be the best possible route yet! Cheers for all your help.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:55 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

If you've have spent 12 months living with your boyfriend, then go for a de facto (spouse) visa.