Desperate help- bank cheque

Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:06 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Desperate help- bank cheque

I sent my application with a bank cheque made payable to DIAC. I received an email this morning saying that the cheque had been returned as it was in pounds. It was returned on 20.8.2008 and I have not received it
I am now going to my bank to cancel the cheque.
I know that I can pay with debit/credit cards.
I need to pay by cheque - do I make it out in sterling??
HELP!!!
J x
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:30 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate help- bank cheque

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I sent my application with a bank cheque made payable to DIAC. I received an email this morning saying that the cheque had been returned as it was in pounds.
No! Don't make it out in sterling! That's the reason they returned the previous cheque - because it was in sterling.

You need to make it out in Australian Dollars.

Gina
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can just write out a cheque drawn on a British bank in Aussie dollars though.

We got a bankers draft from HiFX.

But it's much easier to pay with a debit or credit card. If you don't have either, can you not find someone you trust and give them the cash in exchange for using their card for payment ?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I sent my application with a bank cheque made payable to DIAC. I received an email this morning saying that the cheque had been returned as it was in pounds. It was returned on 20.8.2008 and I have not received it
I am now going to my bank to cancel the cheque.
I know that I can pay with debit/credit cards.
HELP!!!
J x
You'll need to get an international bank cheque in Aus $.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Open an account with XE trade XE.com

They issue cheques free of charge and are great for moving small amounts of money (sub GBP 6,000) around.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:54 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
No! Don't make it out in sterling! That's the reason they returned the previous cheque - because it was in sterling.
You need to make it out in Australian Dollars.
Will definately do that
Gina
OMG I don't think I can cope!!

Originally Posted by louie
I don't think you can just write out a cheque drawn on a British bank in Aussie dollars though.

We got a bankers draft from HiFX.

But it's much easier to pay with a debit or credit card. If you don't have either, can you not find someone you trust and give them the cash in exchange for using their card for payment ?
I have a debit card - Halifax electron thing (cashcard really!)
Originally Posted by Pollyana
You'll need to get an international bank cheque in Aus $.
Do I ask my bank to make out the amount in Australian dollars??
I asked about this today and they said it can be done but it will take 3 days and I can either collect it from them or they post it.
I just don't think I am meant to get there
Thankyou to all of you

xx
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:55 pm
Former Resident Visa

Originally Posted by cranston
Open an account with XE trade XE.com

They issue cheques free of charge and are great for moving small amounts of money (sub GBP 6,000) around.
I'll go have a look but I am loosing faith in actually applying!!
I can see why people pay agents now!!

J x
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Annehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really nice

I Had a cheque made out by my bank for my TRA. I think that took 3 days including the day i made the request and picked it up from my local branch.
3 days isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:23 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Do I ask my bank to make out the amount in Australian dollars??
I asked about this today and they said it can be done but it will take 3 days and I can either collect it from them or they post it.
Yes, that's what you do: ask the bank to make it out in Australian dollars. It's known as a banker's draft or international bank cheque. The bank will charge you a fee for this.

Collect the cheque and then post it to DIAC.

Gina
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:08 pm
Former Resident Visa

Originally Posted by Annehe28
I Had a cheque made out by my bank for my TRA. I think that took 3 days including the day i made the request and picked it up from my local branch.
3 days isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.
Originally Posted by GinaUK
Yes, that's what you do: ask the bank to make it out in Australian dollars. It's known as a banker's draft or international bank cheque. The bank will charge you a fee for this.

Collect the cheque and then post it to DIAC.

Gina
Thanks a million for this, I ordered the cheque after work today and I am collecting it as my post keeps going awol!!
A very nice man at immigration told me that the original cheque had been returned on the 20th August and then it reappeared there so he said to address the new cheque to him and he will then take it to the resident section
If he was here I'd have bloody kissed him
J x
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

sinead80 has a spectacular aura aboutsinead80 has a spectacular aura aboutsinead80 has a spectacular aura about

i panicked when it came to this bit.i went to my bank BOS and they took the money required from my account, then i received a cheque for my TRA in the post.it was drawn from westpac i think.waiting game has now begun