British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Desperate help- bank cheque (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/desperate-help-bank-cheque-560200/)

Jaycee1 Sep 8th 2008 7:06 am

Desperate help- bank cheque

I sent my application with a bank cheque made payable to DIAC. I received an email this morning saying that the cheque had been returned as it was in pounds. It was returned on 20.8.2008 and I have not received it :ohmy:
I am now going to my bank to cancel the cheque.
I know that I can pay with debit/credit cards.
I need to pay by cheque - do I make it out in sterling??
HELP!!!
J x

GinaUK Sep 8th 2008 7:30 am

Re: Desperate help- bank cheque

Originally Posted by Jaycee1 (Post 6760552)
I sent my application with a bank cheque made payable to DIAC. I received an email this morning saying that the cheque had been returned as it was in pounds.

No! Don't make it out in sterling! That's the reason they returned the previous cheque - because it was in sterling.

You need to make it out in Australian Dollars.

Gina

louie Sep 8th 2008 8:11 am

I don't think you can just write out a cheque drawn on a British bank in Aussie dollars though.

We got a bankers draft from HiFX.

But it's much easier to pay with a debit or credit card. If you don't have either, can you not find someone you trust and give them the cash in exchange for using their card for payment ?

Pollyana Sep 8th 2008 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Jaycee1 (Post 6760552)
I sent my application with a bank cheque made payable to DIAC. I received an email this morning saying that the cheque had been returned as it was in pounds. It was returned on 20.8.2008 and I have not received it :ohmy:
I am now going to my bank to cancel the cheque.
I know that I can pay with debit/credit cards.
HELP!!!
J x

You'll need to get an international bank cheque in Aus $. ;)

cranston Sep 8th 2008 8:24 am

Open an account with XE trade XE.com

They issue cheques free of charge and are great for moving small amounts of money (sub GBP 6,000) around.
:thumbsup:

Jaycee1 Sep 8th 2008 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by GinaUK (Post 6760613)
No! Don't make it out in sterling! That's the reason they returned the previous cheque - because it was in sterling.
You need to make it out in Australian Dollars.
Will definately do that :thumbsup:
Gina

OMG I don't think I can cope!!

Originally Posted by louie (Post 6760714)
I don't think you can just write out a cheque drawn on a British bank in Aussie dollars though.
:unsure:
We got a bankers draft from HiFX.

But it's much easier to pay with a debit or credit card. If you don't have either, can you not find someone you trust and give them the cash in exchange for using their card for payment ?

I have a debit card - Halifax electron thing (cashcard really!)

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6760739)
You'll need to get an international bank cheque in Aus $. ;)

Do I ask my bank to make out the amount in Australian dollars??
I asked about this today and they said it can be done but it will take 3 days and I can either collect it from them or they post it.
I just don't think I am meant to get there :(
Thankyou to all of you :wub:

xx

Jaycee1 Sep 8th 2008 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by cranston (Post 6760741)
Open an account with XE trade XE.com

They issue cheques free of charge and are great for moving small amounts of money (sub GBP 6,000) around.
:thumbsup:

I'll go have a look but I am loosing faith in actually applying!!
I can see why people pay agents now!!

J x

Annehe28 Sep 8th 2008 9:26 pm

I Had a cheque made out by my bank for my TRA. I think that took 3 days including the day i made the request and picked it up from my local branch.
3 days isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

GinaUK Sep 9th 2008 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Jaycee1 (Post 6762047)
Do I ask my bank to make out the amount in Australian dollars??
I asked about this today and they said it can be done but it will take 3 days and I can either collect it from them or they post it.

Yes, that's what you do: ask the bank to make it out in Australian dollars. It's known as a banker's draft or international bank cheque. The bank will charge you a fee for this.

Collect the cheque and then post it to DIAC.

Gina

Jaycee1 Sep 9th 2008 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Annehe28 (Post 6762982)
I Had a cheque made out by my bank for my TRA. I think that took 3 days including the day i made the request and picked it up from my local branch.
3 days isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted by GinaUK (Post 6763665)
Yes, that's what you do: ask the bank to make it out in Australian dollars. It's known as a banker's draft or international bank cheque. The bank will charge you a fee for this.

Collect the cheque and then post it to DIAC.

Gina

Thanks a million for this, I ordered the cheque after work today and I am collecting it as my post keeps going awol!!
A very nice man at immigration told me that the original cheque had been returned on the 20th August and then it reappeared there so he said to address the new cheque to him and he will then take it to the resident section :wub:
If he was here I'd have bloody kissed him:thumbsup:
J x

sinead80 Sep 9th 2008 10:35 pm

i panicked when it came to this bit.i went to my bank BOS and they took the money required from my account, then i received a cheque for my TRA in the post.it was drawn from westpac i think.waiting game has now begun