Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

defacto resident visa - follow up letter after 2 years

defacto resident visa - follow up letter after 2 years

Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: defacto resident visa - follow up letter after 2 years

Originally Posted by big_matt
ok I got through to a manager on the phone and have some information:

1. The letters are sent by a department that dont deal directly with the department you speak to when you call/visit in person (why doesnt this surprise me!). Therefore they have a record of several e-mails and calls they have placed with the letter department but they have no way of knowing if the other department is actioning these e-mails or when a letter will be sent out.

2. My temporary visa is still fine and is still on course to be considered for a permanent. In their system they can see a letter has not been sent out and therefore no decision can be made on rejecting my permanent one until they have at least released a letter to me.

3. They said there is a huge backlog which is why i haven't had the letter and why once I supply evidence the final decision will be over 8 months after that day!!!!!

4. They said there isn't much I can do to speed up receiving the letter as I cannot speak to the people who send it.

Thanks very much for the advice though everyone. I really hate this process and it definately takes away a lot of the fun of living in oz.
To be honest (and talking as one who went through the Spouse route myself) I would be contacting a good agent and get them to speak to DIAC. You should have receieved the letter and request for info by now - as JAJ says it should be with you shortly before the 2 year anniversary of lodging the application.
While they may be right and there may be delays in sending out the letters, this is the first time anyone on BE has been told that. Others who have phoned have discovered the letter has gone to the wrong (old) address or similar. No-one on BE has waited this long to receive the PR paperwork request. With helplines being notoriously unreliable, I wouldn't be taking their word for something so important. Get someone with more clout and more avenues of enquiry to take up your case before you find that they ghave assumed you aren't interested in PR and closed the case.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To be honest (and talking as one who went through the Spouse route myself) I would be contacting a good agent and get them to speak to DIAC. You should have receieved the letter and request for info by now - as JAJ says it should be with you shortly before the 2 year anniversary of lodging the application.
While they may be right and there may be delays in sending out the letters, this is the first time anyone on BE has been told that. Others who have phoned have discovered the letter has gone to the wrong (old) address or similar. No-one on BE has waited this long to receive the PR paperwork request. With helplines being notoriously unreliable, I wouldn't be taking their word for something so important. Get someone with more clout and more avenues of enquiry to take up your case before you find that they ghave assumed you aren't interested in PR and closed the case.
ditto... it shouldn't be your problem if they have a backlog. the only 'suffering' you should go through is a long wait toward the decision, but definitely not a long wait for them to kick in what is supposed to be an automatic process.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:40 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

3. They said there is a huge backlog which is why i haven't had the letter and why once I supply evidence the final decision will be over 8 months after that day!!!!!
My OH should have got letter in May, turned up in July. Submitted in Aug. On another matter got an automated email saying normally 5-8 months but currently < 3 months. But maybe they're so busy they haven't got time to update their automated email message!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

ok I got through to a manager on the phone and have some information:

A) Don't believe that they were a 'manager'

B) Don't believe what they told you on the phone

If it has been more than 24 months since the date of application for your 309 visa and you haven't had the 2nd stage letter, then definitely start kicking up a stink (have your other half get in touch with her Federal MP).

Good luck!

Steve
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Thanks very much for the information everyone.

We are going to see our MP early this week to try and get this sorted out.

Checked my records and they definitely had the right address at the time when it should have been sent. Would find it incredible if they have assumed I didn't want a visa without even sending me a letter. I wouldn't put it past them though.

Can't decide if they are the worlds most incompetent department or if there is something more sinister going on.

Not going to get an agent as I don't believe in having to pay crazy fees to an agent to resolve a fundamentally unfair situation.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the information everyone.

We are going to see our MP early this week to try and get this sorted out.

Checked my records and they definitely had the right address at the time when it should have been sent. Would find it incredible if they have assumed I didn't want a visa without even sending me a letter. I wouldn't put it past them though.

Can't decide if they are the worlds most incompetent department or if there is something more sinister going on.

Not going to get an agent as I don't believe in having to pay crazy fees to an agent to resolve a fundamentally unfair situation.
I sent DIAC a change of address form 4 months before they sent my 2nd stage notification letter. They still managed to send it to my old address. Just because they have the right information, doesn't mean that they'll use it

Good luck next week!

Steve
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Thanks Steve,

Would be very interested to know how you found out it went to the wrong address. Was it via the phoneline?

One of my big problems is the phoneline cant tell me if a letter was sent nevermind to which address so if you were able to find out this info over the phone it would be interesting.

Cheers
Matt
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Steve,

Would be very interested to know how you found out it went to the wrong address. Was it via the phoneline?

One of my big problems is the phoneline cant tell me if a letter was sent nevermind to which address so if you were able to find out this info over the phone it would be interesting.

Cheers
Matt
We had a PO Box near our old address, but it was too far to go and get mail when we moved into the Adelaide Hills, so we got one up here. We checked the old box about once a month for a few months once we moved, and found the 2nd stage forms in the old post box about 2 weeks before they were due to be back.

Do you have any contact with whoever's living at the old address? It might be worth asking them nicely if they've had any mail from DIAC for you?

Cheers

Steve
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

hawkshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
I sent DIAC a change of address form 4 months before they sent my 2nd stage notification letter. They still managed to send it to my old address. Just because they have the right information, doesn't mean that they'll use it

Good luck next week!

Steve
Reading others' experiences, I think I've been pretty lucky with DIAC.

I sent them a change of address form in February then a few months later, phoned the DIAC helpline and asked if they had my new address. A very helpful woman confirmed that they did and also mentioned my 2nd stage assessment was due in July and would I like her to see if the notification letter had been sent. It hadn't but I received it a few weeks later, sent the relevant stuff back, and got my permanent visa granted on 30th August, around 5 weeks after the assessment date. This was the Melbourne office btw.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:16 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting Thread

Question: Im guessing DIAC will not send such letter to people who are on 457`s ?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Interesting Thread

Question: Im guessing DIAC will not send such letter to people who are on 457`s ?
No, why should it, the 457 is a completely different visa.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Update:

Managed to get hold of an extremely helpful person at DIAC who then got the manager of the second stage defacto department to phone me. There is still confusion about why I hadnt got my letter (as they have always had my correct address and it never arrived) but becausse it is so late they are going to process the 2nd stage really fast. Got my letter already and sent off for the police check. When it comes back will submit relevant info then am apparently getting a final decision in october!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Update:

Managed to get hold of an extremely helpful person at DIAC who then got the manager of the second stage defacto department to phone me. There is still confusion about why I hadnt got my letter (as they have always had my correct address and it never arrived) but becausse it is so late they are going to process the 2nd stage really fast. Got my letter already and sent off for the police check. When it comes back will submit relevant info then am apparently getting a final decision in october!
Great news! Glad you are finally getting somewhere!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Update:

Well done! WIll keep fingers crossed for you.

Cheers

Steve
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice

very great news indeed... all the best of luck for the rest of the process

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.