Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

defacto resident visa - follow up letter after 2 years

defacto resident visa - follow up letter after 2 years

Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Oor Wullie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: defacto resident visa - follow up letter after 2 years

Thats brilliant, Matt. Keep the faith. Sounds like you're not far away.

The guys on here are spot on with the advice so far. JAJ in particular, who seems to know an awful lot going on previous defacto threads.

I applied in Dec 07 and have been scoping out what to get ready. I assumed they will want another Federal police check. Is there another medical? I HATE needles and passed out at the last one!!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone,

Oor Wullie - you don't need to need as much the 2nd time around. No medical. You each need to fill in stat dec, another police check and then just any evidence you want to provide.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oor Wullie
Thats brilliant, Matt. Keep the faith. Sounds like you're not far away.

The guys on here are spot on with the advice so far. JAJ in particular, who seems to know an awful lot going on previous defacto threads.

I applied in Dec 07 and have been scoping out what to get ready. I assumed they will want another Federal police check. Is there another medical? I HATE needles and passed out at the last one!!
You will almost certainly only need anothge medical if there were any issues on the last one on which DIAC might want an update. Like you I dreaded having to do another on, but they said as the first one was fine another wasn't needed.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Melbourne lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my 2nd stage letter and looking for some advice.

The 2 persons who are backing up the continuing relationship.
Do they have to fill out 888 forms the same as we had to get before? It doesn't say on the form. Just asks for their name, number and occupation.

It doesn't ask for bills/ mail from the last 2 years. Is a case officer likely to ask for these? Am I just as well to include some or would it just annoy them?

I don't want to have to go back and forwards to a case officer as work is busy at the moment for both of us.

Cheers!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Oor Wullie is an unknown quantity at this point

Going by a few previous threads people just send what is asked.

I will be curious to hear how long the wait is in Melbourne one you have the forms in.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melbourne lad
Got my 2nd stage letter and looking for some advice.

The 2 persons who are backing up the continuing relationship.
Do they have to fill out 888 forms the same as we had to get before? It doesn't say on the form. Just asks for their name, number and occupation.

It doesn't ask for bills/ mail from the last 2 years. Is a case officer likely to ask for these? Am I just as well to include some or would it just annoy them?

I don't want to have to go back and forwards to a case officer as work is busy at the moment for both of us.

Cheers!
If it only asks for their contact details, that's all you give. If DIAC want to take up a reference or get a statement, they'll contact the people directly.

In my case, we provided two referees, but they weren't contacted.

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Just to wrap up the thread I started - I received my perm res visa today! Only took about 3 weeks after handing in the info but because they hadn't sent me the follow up letter and i got it 6 months late they processed the application extra quick - not sure what the standard turnaround time is at the moment for Melb.

In answer to the above questions - we only filled in the form and handed in 2 stat decs and the police check. We didnt send in any other supporting documentation. We were advised to do this though by the case officer - if I was going to fill it in under normal circumstances I'd provide everything they ask for. Why wouldn't you if you have the info?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt
Just to wrap up the thread I started - I received my perm res visa today! Only took about 3 weeks after handing in the info but because they hadn't sent me the follow up letter and i got it 6 months late they processed the application extra quick -
Congratulations. You did the right thing to follow it up.

After 1 more year, you may be eligible for citizenship, if you meet the 3 years in 4 residence requirement.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Congratulations. You did the right thing to follow it up.

After 1 more year, you may be eligible for citizenship, if you meet the 3 years in 4 residence requirement.
What is this requirement? If I have been in Oz for 3 years of the 4 since I got the temp perm res I can apply for citizen? And how long would that take?

We were planning on a year back in the UK next year before returning here but would maybe stay instead if it made citizen easier.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What is this requirement? If I have been in Oz for 3 years of the 4 since I got the temp perm res I can apply for citizen? And how long would that take?

We were planning on a year back in the UK next year before returning here but would maybe stay instead if it made citizen easier.
Residence requirement for citizenship:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...l_app_process/

also see:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi..._apply/spouse/

Usually it's better to get citizenship first, before you leave, however there is a little more flexibility for spouses of Australian citizens. You can't guarantee a successful application from offshore, however.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ

also see:

Usually it's better to get citizenship first, before you leave, however there is a little more flexibility for spouses of Australian citizens. You can't guarantee a successful application from offshore, however.
Thanks.

So looks like in 1 year I can apply for citizenship if I stay till then and don't go outside of Oz for 90 days.

This is where getting the 2nd stage letter 6 months late trips me up as I have been here for 5 years so if my perm res had been approved 3 months ago I would only have 9 more months etc etc.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ

also see:

JAJ,

On teh second link there, it states that time spent overseas can be counted as time in Australia if your partner is Australian as long as you can show 'close ties' with Australia.

It doesn't really go into specifics.

Do you know how you are asked to demonstrate that, or is there anyone on here that has successfully gone tyhrough the process?

cheers
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ,

On teh second link there, it states that time spent overseas can be counted as time in Australia if your partner is Australian as long as you can show 'close ties' with Australia.

It doesn't really go into specifics.
I wouldn't rely on it in advance.

Any kind of tie to Australia will do, but it's not clearly established and it's quite different from the situation if you are living in Australia.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:39 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

So looks like in 1 year I can apply for citizenship if I stay till then and don't go outside of Oz for 90 days.

This is where getting the 2nd stage letter 6 months late trips me up as I have been here for 5 years so if my perm res had been approved 3 months ago I would only have 9 more months etc etc.
I was under the mistaken impression that when PR was granted on the second stage of the spouse visa that it would be backdated effective to the date the 2 years were up! That was the thing that was making me not overly concerned if they were taking up to 6 -8 months to process! Oh well, shouldn't really make a big difference to me, so as well to know now!