Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Cuts to number of migrants - new or existing?

Cuts to number of migrants - new or existing?

Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trade vacancies down should we worry

Originally Posted by PaddyHaHa
got to sa three weeks ago only to be told my qualifacations are not regonised and i am a plumber so before you get here check. i got a licence but worded to work under direct supervision !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im nearly 40 and to many years in the game for that sh-t. next course for me to get real licence is in feb

well done to those fu-king govt nitwits
That's exactly why the skills assessment for certain trades have been changed from TRA to Vetassess.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:56 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's exactly why the skills assessment for certain trades have been changed from TRA to Vetassess.
tra / vetts dosnt make any differnce both lead to either an artc or an osrt certificate both will ony allow a permit to train to au standards it just means that they now have the cert prior to arriving

regards steve
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
The 457 bit - been said before, but worth repeating - the OP should be aware that if the employer decides to let people go, and he/she is one of them, finding another may be a bit of a drag if the business slows down more, it will be more difficult to secure another sponsorship in a hurry. Temporary visa holders are least protected in that regard.
NJ
Coincidentally ... http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=476

Best regards.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:13 am
Just Joined

happythoughts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaddyHaHa
got to sa three weeks ago only to be told my qualifacations are not regonised and i am a plumber so before you get here check. i got a licence but worded to work under direct supervision !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im nearly 40 and to many years in the game for that sh-t. next course for me to get real licence is in feb

well done to those fu-king govt nitwits
Sorry to hear that! How frustrating after going through the whole application process........:curse:
My OH a plumber, so I guess this will affect him too. Did you have your skills assessed in the UK? What exactly does "direct supervision" mean? Does this affect your earnings? How lonfg will it take to get real licence and what will you have to do?
Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happythoughts
Sorry to hear that! How frustrating after going through the whole application process........:curse:
My OH a plumber, so I guess this will affect him too. Did you have your skills assessed in the UK? What exactly does "direct supervision" mean? Does this affect your earnings? How lonfg will it take to get real licence and what will you have to do?
Thanks for your help!
If you check out the plumbers forum on here, that should goive you an idea of the licenses etc required. They do vary from State to State.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
tra / vetts dosnt make any differnce both lead to either an artc or an osrt certificate both will ony allow a permit to train to au standards it just means that they now have the cert prior to arriving

regards steve
Right. Which means that no longer does it take months on end to aquire the Australian certificate.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:02 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

an artc takes approx 1 month from been lodged and costs $300

an orst ( vetts equivalent ) takes 4 to 9 months depending on when you can secure a test date and costs $2300 for most trades and $2400 for electrical trades

yes you do do he vetts one prior to arriving which means you can apply for a permit to train once your here but you can also apply for an artc prior to arriving the only differnce is that they wont post an artc cert overseas

for my money it was nothing more than a money making exercise for the RTO`s and if you look back to my posts prior to Sept 07 you`ll see i said that then and still have the same opinion,

drags out soap box -- what they should have done

since they have sent aussie tradesmen / sparkies ( many of which have been lecturers and inspectors in au ) half way around the world to assess tradesmen, surly it would have made more sense to have taught in the case of sparkies a course on au wiring rules ( peer.com.au in SA do a au wiring course that totals 9 days before some one says it would be a long winded affair ) then done the practical assessment which would have meant tradies arriving over here would be ready for the workforce as trying to get a job on a permit to train can be very difficult

puts soap box back

regards steve

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 30th 2008 at 7:45 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Thanks Steve totally agree perhaps you should work for them and sort them out
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:56 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
lots of good info for anyone on a 457
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by YOFFSBACK
Having just read the couriermail Brisbane 29/10 www.news.com.au/couriermail it seems skilled vacancies are down 9%(8.8% adjusted) across Australia with Queensland the largest fall -39% should all us awaiting depaarture be worried or is it press panic again. Will Chris Evans reduce visas or even cancel visas How will it effect us 457ers Or am I just having preleaving nerves
on the channel 9 news in the week government officials were talking about stopping migration if unemployment continues to rise. i work as a bricklayer in brisbane and work is slowing up a lot. most people that have work are hanging on to it because nobody knows what the new year will bring. my boss had 15 brickies ring him this week asking if he needed someone, irish, pommies and aussies so call me a scare monger if you like but make sure if your coming you have plenty of back up money or you could be in trouble.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

T-bird will become famous soon enoughT-bird will become famous soon enough
Default Cuts to number of migrants - new or existing?

I've read that Australia is considering cutting the amount of migrants it lets in due to the economic downturn. Should this be the case, does anyone know if this would apply to new applicants or people with visas who haven't arrived yet or both?

T-bird
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:45 am
Just Joined

amit1aly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cuts to number of migrants - new or existing?

T-Bird

Thanks for asking this one. Sorry, I don't know but would be interested in this one. Like to add a little bit to your original question, what about people already applied and waiting in line for their visa?

Moderators & Seniors, please if someone can share views on this important issue.

Anyways, T-Bird congratulations on your visa & life in Oz!!

Amit
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:01 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by amit1aly
T-Bird

Thanks for asking this one. Sorry, I don't know but would be interested in this one. Like to add a little bit to your original question, what about people already applied and waiting in line for their visa?

Moderators & Seniors, please if someone can share views on this important issue.

Anyways, T-Bird congratulations on your visa & life in Oz!!

Amit
Moderators and senior members don't know any more than anyone else about what a government "might" do. Right now it's all just rumour and inuendo, so there's no sense getting our knickers in a know until any announcement is made.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

smvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nice
Post Re: Trade vacancies down should we worry

we started our 457 application last feb 08,husband is a brickie we were told when we started there would be no problem finding a job and were asked when did we want to go. we wanted to leave in aug before the really hot weather came in but were still here in ireland work is running out and still no sign of a job offer were getting very worried and all the relocation people keep saying is be patient.patience has run out now and we are considering looking for our large sum of money back.our dream is slipping away any advise?
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T-bird
I've read that Australia is considering cutting the amount of migrants it lets in due to the economic downturn. Should this be the case, does anyone know if this would apply to new applicants or people with visas who haven't arrived yet or both?
New applicants, most likely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.