Current Occupational Experience

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

qwerty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current Occupational Experience

Hi all,
I have been checking out the initial steps to obtaining a General Skilled Migration Visa (offshore). I have checked the SOL & MODL lists and my trade appears on the lists. All good, so far!
Now, I have the documentation from my apprenticeship training and all my trade final certificates. I can provide details of the employers whom I have worked for in the past.
The only thing I can see which may hinder or completely block my application at this early stage is my lack of recent employment in this trade. I have been away from the industry for 10 years! Is there a requirement that I must be in employment within the trade I am being assessed? I will not be applying using the Employer Nomination Scheme which is the only area I see requires a minimum number of years employment.

Yours,
qwerty
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

qwerty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current Occupational Experience

I think I have just found an answer to my question.

the Points Calculator tells me that:

* To meet the recent work experience requirement, you must have been employed in an occupation on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) for at least 12 of the 24 months before applying.

* You are required to have worked at a skilled level for at least 20 hours a week.

Oh well, I better start looking for new employment!!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

shella_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current Occupational Experience

Hi

Not sure if this is going to help you but....

My friend is currently applying but was initially told he would not qualify as he has not been "on the tools" for 5 years as he is now in management. Then after about 2 months he got a call from his migration agent who says they think they have found a loophole or something. So he has now submitted his TRA and is waiting to hear.

So, there may be a way round it. I would talk to a migration agent and see what they suggest.

Hope that has helped....sorry Im a bit fuzzy on the precise details.

Michelle