Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 All overseas arrivals to Australia to self-isolate for 14 day

COVID-19 All overseas arrivals to Australia to self-isolate for 14 day

Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute
Default COVID-19 All overseas arrivals to Australia to self-isolate for 14 day

(15th March 2020) All overseas arrivals to Australia will need to self-isolate for 14 days as of midnight on Sunday
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/…/current-…/novel-coronavirus

NZ announced similar measures on Saturday (14th March 2020)
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN211020
Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 All overseas arrivals to Australia to self-isolate for 14 day

Originally Posted by TeeTMI
(15th March 2020) All overseas arrivals to Australia will need to self-isolate for 14 days as of midnight on Sunday
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/…/current-…/novel-coronavirus

NZ announced similar measures on Saturday (14th March 2020)
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN211020
I suspect that will mean a few problems for people with holidays booked for a fortnight.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 All overseas arrivals to Australia to self-isolate for 14 day

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I suspect that will mean a few problems for people with holidays booked for a fortnight.
I should imagine they are spitting chips! I was on a flight into Sydney the day after this was announced and we were aware of the implications just before we got on the plane and the check in process was long and laborious as a result. Didnt make any difference to us because we have a son here who is a prepper of the first order and he has had things set up for his family and us for many weeks now. But even though we are well set up there are a load of things we need to deal with and it's not easy. I cant imagine being a tourist holed up in a hotel for the duration. I cant say that I was impressed by the process we encountered either. We were told on board that this was happening and we were given a hand out (one per family) as we left the air bridge. We signed a commitment when using the e-terminals that we knew we had to self isolate and we were checked that we had the hand out when going through quarantine and that was it. Compare that with Singapore where every access point had a thermal imaging camera focusing on everyone leaving the gate area and a man with a digital thermometer a few meters down the gate ramp to check any individual showing over heatedness before they could leave the gate area. Nobody told us what self isolation actually involved in detail, no masks for people who had none but were moving on to other places (we were told we could continue our journeys and isolate when we arrive). Thanks to my over enthusiastic prepper husband and son, we had all the masks, gels and wipes we could possibly require to be compliant. We needed a taxi and informed the taxi driver and explained why we were masked (he had his hand sanitiser there after handling our luggage) but hearing the chat of people exiting the plane with us I sincerely doubt that everyone will be following the rules and for tourists with no local infrastructure it will be nigh on impossible I should think. I have no idea whether there will be random checks for compliance but I would hope so but that might take police away from front line policing where they are really needed.