Could I have some TRA help please?

Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:25 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Could I have some TRA help please?

My hubby and I are just completing his TRA references/work experience/training paperwork to send to his previous employers to be signed. We have a couple of questions about the paperwork, if anyone can help.

Firstly, regarding his training. He has a degree in what he now does for a job. However, the university where he completed the degree 10 years ago no longer offers the course. I don't know how much subject information we will be able to get from the university. Would a synopsis of each subject covered in the course written by us, with more detail included for the important subjects that are most relevant to his training and subsequent employment be satisfactory, in conjunction with the official transcripts of subjects completed and his degree certificate? I don't really know how to get round the fact that the course isn't offered any longer.

Secondly, the way that his professional qualification is assessed has changed since he sat the exams/did the pre-registration year. He has his certificate that proves that he passed and became fully qualified, and we can write a reference and get that signed by his pre-registration supervisor, but I don't know if we will need anything pertaining to his exams? He just got the certificate at the end.

Thirdly, how much detail do we need to go in to when writing his references etc? For example, part of his job is to take measurements with a ruler, of the distance between peoples eyes. Would we need to detail how he uses the ruler to take these measurements, or would just saying that he does it be enough? Also using things like lens measures to measure the curves on lenses, do we need to go into detail about what one is and how it is used, or is it enough detail just to say that he can use a lens meter to measure the curve on a spectacle lens? His pre-reg supervisor and previous employers will be signing the references to say that these duties were carried out as part of his training/employment.

Any help would be fabulous.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:00 am
Just Joined

andycoppock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Could I have some TRA help please?

Hi, with regards to his qualification is there any information online about the course he did? You could always email the uni and see if they have anything stored as they often keep these things a long time.

Does he retain his certification with a breakdown of the components?

I've not yet completed my TRA, so can't really help out but i'm sure if he has any of the above it will help.

Good luck!
Andy
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

shella_n is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Im no expert on the TRA (I have just finished our application today) but from what I have read you have to put as much detail as possible. We have gone into painstaking detail on how he uses a ruler to set things out etc. I was told to explain it as if you were explaining it to a 10 year old.

Not sure if the advice I was given was right or not (time will tell) but our application is well over 100 pages long now with all the evidence that we have out together (over the last 6 months - im google eyed with it all now )

Good luck
Michelle
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:35 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for that.

What I have done so far for the employer references is written out what he did at work and how often and which equipment was used to perform the tasks. Then in the TRA form in the description of your work section, I will put details of the tools used and how he uses them. I am still not sure how much detail to go in to in certain areas, because without explaining eye anatomy, how spectacle lenses work, the physics behind his subject etc, I don't know how some of the things will be understood. It is going to be very difficult to explain certain aspects of his job without the background info (I did a similar job, so it is easy for me to understand). I do have the course syllabus for the Australian qualification and I don't think that the Aussie course goes in to as much detail as hubbys degree did.

We are already in NSW on a 457, and he has already registered with the NSW Optical Dispensers Licensing Board who recognise his qualification and allow him to do his job.