Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
Thank you once again for your prompt response, and help.
Travel Ins for the over 70's is the next hurdle.
Best wishes
Elaine
Can't help much on that one I'm afraid, but I think its been discussed before. Have a look through the main Australia forum here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54 as I'm sure there are some threads on it somewhere......
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Travel Ins for the over 70's is the next hurdle.
Best wishes
Elaine
Originally Posted by Pollyana
... I'm sure there are some threads on it somewhere......
I came across a thread about that the other day. It's here. Hope it helps.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

miscellaneous is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Pollyana & Sue

Will now try and research for Health and Travel Ins, for the over 70's. so watch this space.

Regards
Elaine
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Thanks Pollyana & Sue

Will now try and research for Health and Travel Ins, for the over 70's. so watch this space.

Regards
Elaine
Hi Elaine

Try these:

http://www.staysure.co.uk/travel-insurance

They insure up to age 85 I understand.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Dave & Linda

This site looks good, but it is based on journeys from the UK, so no doubt it will be a help to others on this thread waiting to come to Oz. I certainly would have been pleased to know of it then. As in the midst of all the arrangements to get to Oz. I completely forgot about one way Ins, panic set in at the airport, was told Boots do it in their machine in the airport shop, (but not for the over 70's!) so had to fly with all my fingers and toes crossed.

I forgot to mention in my blurb to Pollyana & Sue, that my research has to be here in OZ.

Loopy, not I

Regards
Elaine
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

durhamlad is on a distinguished road

We on this thread have probably all applied for the Contributory Parent Visa but my son's wife's parents have just started to look into Immigration as well and they have been advised to go for the Aged Parent Visa (804) as the charges are a lot lower. As there is an approximate waiting time of 20 years to receive this visa you can live in Australia on a bridging visa until a decision is made on whether you receive this visa. Does anyone know what any disadvantages are for going for this visa rather than the contributory one.

Regards

Dave
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by durhamlad
We on this thread have probably all applied for the Contributory Parent Visa but my son's wife's parents have just started to look into Immigration as well and they have been advised to go for the Aged Parent Visa (804) as the charges are a lot lower. As there is an approximate waiting time of 20 years to receive this visa you can live in Australia on a bridging visa until a decision is made on whether you receive this visa. Does anyone know what any disadvantages are for going for this visa rather than the contributory one.

Regards

Dave
One the main disadvantages, I think is that you may not be fully covered by Medicare. I am sure there must be more as well, otherwise I think we would all do it. I do know that just before visa grant you are required to take a medical again and if you fail you then run the risk of having to leave Australia.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Just checking that this thread is still active as there does not seem to have been any posts for quite a while.

So while on A MERRY CHRISTMAS and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.

David
Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Do not let the weather get you down, soon you will all be in the sunshine

Happy Xmas and NEW YEAR to you all

Elaine.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

wishing everyone a very happy New Year

Does anyone know what the Australian tax liabilities will be if I leave funds in the UK whilst waiting for the exchange rate to improve - could be a long wait I know. I will complete the relevant forms to be exempt from UK tax on investments before I leave mid 2011.

thanks
Katie
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Katie1955
wishing everyone a very happy New Year

Does anyone know what the Australian tax liabilities will be if I leave funds in the UK whilst waiting for the exchange rate to improve - could be a long wait I know. I will complete the relevant forms to be exempt from UK tax on investments before I leave mid 2011.

thanks
Katie
Hi Katie, happy New Year.

When you become resident they will treat your UK interest as income and you would pay tax in Oz at whatever tax rate you are given.
2010-2011 rates.
$0 to $6,000 income Nil Tax
$6,000 to $37,000 15% Tax
$37,000 to $80,000 30% Tax
and so on.

Remember from the 01/01/11 you have UK protection of £85,000 per banking organization, this helps if you need to spread funds around.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Hi Katie, happy New Year.

When you become resident they will treat your UK interest as income and you would pay tax in Oz at whatever tax rate you are given.
2010-2011 rates.
$0 to $6,000 income Nil Tax
$6,000 to $37,000 15% Tax
$37,000 to $80,000 30% Tax
and so on.

Remember from the 01/01/11 you have UK protection of £85,000 per banking organization, this helps if you need to spread funds around.
thanks Les for the info, I didn't realise that the savings threshold was to be increased in 2011

Katie
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Katie1955
thanks Les for the info, I didn't realise that the savings threshold was to be increased in 2011

Katie
Hi Katie, you have to watch if your bank is linked to another as you will only get one lot of protection, i.e. Lloyds and Halifax.

Use this link to check bank groups:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...ngs#whatcounts

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

So from the 1st Jan 2011 to 30th June 2011 the 2nd VAC fee for us if paid in the UK in pounds is £22,310 each or £44,620 for the two of us. Even more if we pay in A$ if the exchange rate stays the same (£45,054)
Don't know if it is still affordable now with this plus the AOS money and the drop in income we would receive on our pension money being transferred from the UK.

Dave
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by durhamlad
So from the 1st Jan 2011 to 30th June 2011 the 2nd VAC fee for us if paid in the UK in pounds is £22,310 each or £44,620 for the two of us. Even more if we pay in A$ if the exchange rate stays the same (£45,054)
Don't know if it is still affordable now with this plus the AOS money and the drop in income we would receive on our pension money being transferred from the UK.

Dave
OMG

If the web site is correct and they have set a rate of $1.538 then this will be the first time they have not dropped the rate below the floating rate at the start of the 6 month fix.

Well spotted Durhamlad , my guess was a rate of $1.45 if they had followed previous rate sets.

This does open up the stressful pospositionat many CPVs had at the end of 2009 when it was cheaper to pay in London but London had never done this before so kept telling CPVs it could not be done.

Lets hope that this is correct and this time London remember what to do.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.