Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

framboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really nice
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Now we have our Case Officer, we would like a little advise from others who have had to pay the enoooormous fees to Aus Immigration.
We wondered if we should just go to bank and get Bankers Draft to send, get them to send electronically, or do we move the money to Australia via someone like HiFX.

Would be pleased to get a few answers from those who have already done this.

If you do not want to post, please feel free to Private Mail us

Many thanks in anticipation for any answers

Steve and Aileen
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Oldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really nice
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by framboy
Now we have our Case Officer, we would like a little advise from others who have had to pay the enoooormous fees to Aus Immigration.
We wondered if we should just go to bank and get Bankers Draft to send, get them to send electronically, or do we move the money to Australia via someone like HiFX.

Would be pleased to get a few answers from those who have already done this.

If you do not want to post, please feel free to Private Mail us

Many thanks in anticipation for any answers

Steve and Aileen
Hi Steve & Eileen
We are in a similar situation. We are expecting to be asked any day now for the 2nd VAC and because we are a little bit worried as to what the new exchange rate is going to be as from January (I believe this is when DIAC issue their revised rates?) and therefore what it would cost us to pay in £'s to London, we have been trying for the past few months to get money across via HIFX, as at least we know how many $'s it is going to cost us. We will then pay DIAC directly from our Westpac account.

We were hoping to have sold the Bungalow before we got asked for this money, but it looks highly unlikely that this will happen, so we are going to have to pull in savings etc.!

I'm sure all this worry etc. will be worth it when we are sunning ourselves on the beaches of Australia.

Shirley & David
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by audie123
.................................................. ...........
Hello - after several weeks - maybe months of reading and thoroughly enjoying the banter on this thread and waiting with hope in my heart for the news about the appeal I have made for Catherine (handicapped daughter) , I was hoping to be able to send good news about our status.

However, On Sunday we received the news that we have been denied a CPV again.

I know that some of you still remember us - I had so many wonderful messages when we had the first denial. This time we have been given the opportunity to appeal to the MOC. This will take almost a year, cost about $1500 and due to several reasons will need to have a laywer in Australia - another pile of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ! Plus I don't know how to change things. CAtherine has a development challenge - I cannot make it different. I am 69 and my daughter is 37. My daughter and I have no relatives other than two cousins of Catherine's in quebec. Her father has not been in touch with either of his daughters in nearly two years despite a new granddaughter and monthly messages from us.

I don't think that I will live for ever. (Although my mother lived to be 100!.)So, what to do? My younger daughter is having another baby in June and Catherine and I will go over for that but it is all very worrying and reading this forum has been very important to us. Whether it is giving currency info, health info, centrelink info or just where to buy the beloved vegemite - it fills a void in the lives of those of us waiting, hoping and /anticipating/dreading news.

Sometimes, the posts are perhaps irrelevant and on reading them - one might think ??????????? but I click in every morning and am thrilled when I see the activity there and the new CO's being given and AOS 's going through etc. then finally the visa.

I cheer for you all and hope I'll be there one day.

the real point of this though is to say - keep the format - it works - it is great and it gives hope.

By the way do we know of anyone else who has been denied on medical grounds?

Can the gold coasters still have a get together in the autumn - April or May?
I want to moan to Steve,MAtt, Les, Elaine and the others who have been through it and now it is all changing - I am so sad!

So, what happens when you want to say all this sad stuff and then say that yesterday I was in a small pharmacy in Thornbury Ontario Canada and found a HUGE display of TIM TAMS - I bought several packets and was happy for the afternoon...................

sorry to moan but really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all the very best to everyone

audie and catherine -
Deepest sympathies. We wish you all the strength you will need in the months to come.

Sue and Mike
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Hi all

I am posting this here and on the other thread as well. If some of you are confused and having difficulty finding the threads it's useful to subscirbe to them. I already subscribed to the orignal CPV thread which means I get an email in my box with a link to the thread every time someone posts.

I found that now I get an email with a link to both threads, so all I have to do is check my email and can then connect to the thread via the link in the email message. If there are several emails to each thread you can delete all but the latest. As long as you then connect to the threads via the last email, you will continue to receive the emails. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:50 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Does anyone know the easiest way to contact Centrelink? We are still waiting, post AOS interview, for our letter telling us to go to the Commonwealth Bank etc and I am anxious (as usual!) about how quickly the 28 days given me by the case officer is disappearing.

I have looked on their website but there are no contact details at all for the Sydney office, only a national number....

Fiz
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fiz
Does anyone know the easiest way to contact Centrelink? We are still waiting, post AOS interview, for our letter telling us to go to the Commonwealth Bank etc and I am anxious (as usual!) about how quickly the 28 days given me by the case officer is disappearing.

I have looked on their website but there are no contact details at all for the Sydney office, only a national number....

Fiz
Hi

Don't know how to contact the office but you need to sort this out. Our son walked straight from the AOS interview in Sydney to the Commonwealth Bank. They seemed to have dropped off in your case.

Charlie
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:45 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

Don't know how to contact the office but you need to sort this out. Our son walked straight from the AOS interview in Sydney to the Commonwealth Bank. They seemed to have dropped off in your case.

Charlie
Thanks-unfortunately my son in law was one piece of documentation short and as he lives and works miles from the Sydney office, he lodged that at a local office, as he was advised to my the interviewer. That seems to be the hold up. It is so frustrating!!!

Fiz
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

miscellaneous is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fiz
Thanks-unfortunately my son in law was one piece of documentation short and as he lives and works miles from the Sydney office, he lodged that at a local office, as he was advised to my the interviewer. That seems to be the hold up. It is so frustrating!!!

Fiz
Would it be possible meanwhile, for your son to also fax/scan (quoting his ref No etc) a copy of this document directly to the Sydney Centrelink, to help speed things up. or even post a copy to them.?

Best wishes
Elaine
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Matt

Do hope you are looking in on this thread still, as we miss you & Steve for your font of knowledge.
I have just booked to go to Christchurch NZ in the New year to Validate my permit.
I thought of you as you did the same, did you need any further documentation to take with you, ie a Visa/letter or were you just able to pop back and forth on your UK passport.?

You must also be looking forward to your last hop to this Country in the New Year, good luck with your travelling.

Best Wishes
Elaine
ps a PM will be okay if you still do not wish to put your head above the parapet
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
Matt

Do hope you are looking in on this thread still, as we miss you & Steve for your font of knowledge.
I have just booked to go to Christchurch NZ in the New year to Validate my permit.
I thought of you as you did the same, did you need any further documentation to take with you, ie a Visa/letter or were you just able to pop back and forth on your UK passport.?

You must also be looking forward to your last hop to this Country in the New Year, good luck with your travelling.

Best Wishes
Elaine
ps a PM will be okay if you still do not wish to put your head above the parapet
When you are validating a visa you don't need anything except your passport, very simple, you just show the passport the same as you would on a visitor's visa. If you're lucky you'll get a "Welcome to Australia"but those are few and far between!

Have a read HERE for a bit more info

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 8th 2010 at 4:20 am. Reason: Adding BE Wiki link
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Hi all

I am posting this here and on the other thread as well. If some of you are confused and having difficulty finding the threads it's useful to subscirbe to them. I already subscribed to the orignal CPV thread which means I get an email in my box with a link to the thread every time someone posts.

I found that now I get an email with a link to both threads, so all I have to do is check my email and can then connect to the thread via the link in the email message. If there are several emails to each thread you can delete all but the latest. As long as you then connect to the threads via the last email, you will continue to receive the emails. Hope this helps.
This is good advice. I for one (and I do have a sense of humour) got so fed up with all the blarney about 'vegemite' that I stopped reading the forum for a while. It is a great resource, I've learned so much from it, but it was becoming hard work getting to the good info amongst all the irrelevant chat. Vegemite can be on the chat forum, this is for the serious business of getting our visas. Please do not reverse the decision to split the thread. Rant over! And thank you to all the contributors who have answered so many of my questions.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When you are validating a visa you don't need anything except your passport, very simple, you just show the passport the same as you would on a visitor's visa. If you're lucky you'll get a "Welcome to Australia"but those are few and far between!

Have a read HERE for a bit more info
Thank you for the info, very prompt and helpful. and as you say, it would be nice to get a Welcome.
As a visa was required to enter Australia, I was also wondering if I need to get a visa to visit NZ? as coming from Australia, and still using my UK passport.?

Best wishes
Elaine
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
Thank you for the info, very prompt and helpful. and as you say, it would be nice to get a Welcome.
As a visa was required to enter Australia, I was also wondering if I need to get a visa to visit NZ? as coming from Australia, and still using my UK passport.?

Best wishes
Elaine
No problem

If you are just entering as a tourist, no you don't need a visa for NZ on a UK passport- you can enter for up to 6 months, though they may want to see proof of a return ticket or onward travel. More details at -

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ia/new-zealand
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:05 pm
We're on our way!!

SueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Steve and Aileen [/QUOTE]

Hi Steve & Aileen

We got in touch with UKForex (part of OzForex) and were able to log onto their website. If you enter a rate that you want (we looked at 1.6), they will email and text you as soon as the exchange rate reaches that. You then ring them and fix the rate. We sent the money (via UKForex) into our daughter's bank accouunt in Oz and it arrived within a couple of days. They also emailed my daughter to let her know it had arrived in her bank. She then asked her bank (ANZ) to prepare a bank cheque (banker's draft) made out to DIAC (details on your letter from them) and posted it (securely). Postman said it would take 5 days (she was posting from Port Macquarie, NSW to Perth. ANZ charged $150 for arranging the cheque and everything was worry-free. (Well, apart from the nail-biting till it arrived!)

We also saved by using UKForex, as the normal bank rate would have cost quite a bit more.

Hope this helps!!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No problem

If you are just entering as a tourist, no you don't need a visa for NZ on a UK passport- you can enter for up to 6 months, though they may want to see proof of a return ticket or onward travel. More details at -

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ia/new-zealand
Thank you once again for your prompt response, and help.
Travel Ins for the over 70's is the next hurdle.
Best wishes
Elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.